Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 102

Thread: Nagasu: "I want to go back to my roots"

  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4,975
    Country: United States of America

    10 Not allowed!

    News Nagasu: "I want to go back to my roots"

    Video

    Ted Flett interviews USA's Mirai Nagasu for Golden Skate in Colorado Springs, Col. - July 2017. Enjoy!

    What are your thoughts on her plans for this season?

  2. #2
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,270
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    First off, why is the audio and video quality so awful? The video itself is focused on the background curtain, not the two people. Mirai sounds like she's on a bad DSL connection, the interviewer's voice is booming, there's a sound of a garbage truck in the background constantly. Golden Skate, get it together.

    As for the interview, doesn't seem like Mirai is artistically involved in her long, at least for choosing the music.

    6:20
    Miss Saigon was not her first choice. But Max Aaron chose the song she wanted to skate to, and he gets priority over her, I guess .... Hey it's like Miss Saigon and Madame Butterfly in real life .......

    Jeff Buttle chose Miss Saigon and Mirai said she likes Sun and Moon. When asked if she chose the cuts, she says, no, she is hands off, Jeffery Buttle chooses all the cuts. She has not seen the show, Miss Saigon, but she heard it is like Madame Butterfly.

    Her version is completely instrumental. No lyrics, she doesn't want a showgirl program. She used to do a lot of ballet and instrumental songs, so she wants to go back to her roots and show her (ballet) lines.

    12:00
    She's at university and she is majoring in international business. Accounting and finance classes. Some of the other skaters, like Max, are in her classes.

  3. #3
    UnBona Fide COP OS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,966

    3 Not allowed!
    UHmmm probably too late now, but if she wishes to go back to her roots, perhaps she ought to also reconsider her US blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean type of crowd-pleasing program, that can really energise her, and empower her to bring out her natural bubbly and charismatic presence, which she had in spades at Vancouver. Get the crowd on her side to really push her PCS and really shake/force/squeeze/emotional blackmail the heck out of these stingy judges. She has become a sort of people's skater after all these years, they should really take advantage of that. (Unless Miss Saigon = people pleaser?)

    Looks like she will needs to do some more research into her FS program. Hope she can really own it this season, it is never too late to learn some more. People will compare her version to Miyahara for sure, hope her team will come up with a great empowering music edit, Olympic drama type. I would love her to go out with a bang and make the Olympic team would be amazing.

    Looks like Mirai got Russia and Japan GP again (like always). Thought Mirai got lowballed at NHK compare to their home skaters last year, hope it won't happen again but I fear it is going to get much worse with the Olympics season.

    What is Max's music, why can't she also skate to it? Oh well...

  4. #4
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    49

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OS View Post
    UHmmm probably too late now, but if she wishes to go back to her roots, perhaps she ought to also reconsider her US blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean type of crowd-pleasing program, that can really energise her, and empower her to bring out her natural bubbly and charismatic presence, which she had in spades at Vancouver. Get the crowd on her side to really push her PCS and really shake/force/squeeze/emotional blackmail the heck out of these stingy judges. She has become a sort of people's skater after all these years, they should really take advantage of that. (Unless Miss Saigon = people pleaser?)
    I really agree with you on this. I just resdiscovered her 2013 Nationals SP, and I'm really impressed by how much she was actually into her program. (Link: https://youtu.be/YWH1PtE8XTM )
    Mirai is at her best as a performer with fun, upbeat music. The Chopin does look good on her, but I'm a little bit concerned about Miss Saigon.

  5. #5
    Bona Fide Member ice coverage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11,916
    Country: United States of America

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Video

    Ted Flett interviews USA's Mirai Nagasu for Golden Skate in Colorado Springs, Col. - July 2017. Enjoy!

    What are your thoughts on her plans for this season?
    Thx to GS and to Ted for the interview .

    I hope Mirai will have a great season. Look forward to cheering for her .

    While in Colorado Springs, did Ted by any chance interview Max as well??



    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    ... 6:20
    Miss Saigon was not her first choice. But Max Aaron chose the song she wanted to skate to, and he gets priority over her, I guess .... Hey it's like Miss Saigon and Madame Butterfly in real life .......
    For anyone who has not watched/listened to the video with their own eyes/ears:

    Mirai told Ted that when Max chose the music, he did not know that she wanted it too. Per Mirai's own words, Max had "first dibs" on it.
    Mirai said all of this with a smile on her face, with a cheerful tone, and with a friendly nod (literal nod) toward Max.

    There was no implication whatsoever from Mirai that it is unfair for Max to use the music. And no implication whatsoever that he believes that he as a male is entitled to priority over her as a female.

  6. #6
    On the Ice Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    33,772

    4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    First off, why is the audio and video quality so awful?...
    I didn't think it was so bad. I thought that the volume was the same for both of them, and the focus was fine -- it might have just looked a little fuzzy because of the shadow of Mirai's head on the backdrop.

    Can't help it when other people make momentary distracting noise -- was it a table being moved?

    Anyway, it was a great interview. Mirai was relaxed but still with an edge when they spoke of competition. She didn't back down when the subject of Evgenia Medvedeva using the same music came up.

    She's still working on the triple Axel and has left a place for it in the program.

    She is such a charmer!

  7. #7
    Bona Fide Member StitchMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4,139

    2 Not allowed!
    Miri's EX to Body Language at the Ft Collins benefit was stellar. She should really turn that into her SP. Sadly the video does not do it justice. The audio is so out of sink that she starts out skating to Vanessa and Morgans music and ends with Jason Brown's. Ohh well.

  8. #8
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,270
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ice coverage View Post
    Mirai told Ted that when Max chose the music, he did not know that she wanted it too. Per Mirai's own words, Max had "first dibs" on it.
    Mirai said all of this with a smile on her face, with a cheerful tone, and with a friendly nod (literal nod) toward Max.

    There was no implication whatsoever from Mirai that it is unfair for Max to use the music. And no implication whatsoever that he believes that he as a male is entitled to priority over her as a female.
    Max is lucky that Mirai is so good-natured.

    You know what would be really friendly though? If Max had said, "no, Mirai, you should skate to this music. Or we can both skate to it. Because dibs don't exist for music choices. I'll also add this friendly nod and a literal nod because that absolves everything, apparently."

  9. #9
    Hitting the "you're too sexy" button
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11,292
    Country: Australia

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Max is lucky that Mirai is so good-natured.

    You know what would be really friendly though? If Max had said, "no, Mirai, you should skate to this music. Or we can both skate to it. Because dibs don't exist for music choices. I'll also add this friendly nod and a literal nod because that absolves everything, apparently."
    Are you seriously accusing one of the universally-acknowledged nice guys of skating of a mean-spirited grab?

    Maybe Max did suggest they both skate to it, and maybe Mirai didn't like that idea. I find that to be a more realistic option than Evil Max Evilly Stealing Mirai's Music.

  10. #10
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    49

    7 Not allowed!
    ^Never ceases to amaze me how quickly and consistently hostility comes up in these threads

  11. #11
    Bona Fide Member ice coverage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11,916
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Max is lucky that Mirai is so good-natured.

    You know what would be really friendly though? If Max had said, "no, Mirai, you should skate to this music. Or we can both skate to it. Because dibs don't exist for music choices. I'll also add this friendly nod and a literal nod because that absolves everything, apparently."
    Again, it is ridiculous that Max needed to be "absolved" of anything.

    Max and Mirai both are known to be good-natured, and they obviously have a comfortable friendship. It is ridiculous also for you to attempt to make something adversarial between them out of her interview.

    We do not know whether Max used the words "first dibs."
    Even if he did, what he might have meant -- in a friendly and collegial way -- is: I chose this music before I had any idea that you wanted to use it. I will stick with my choice. It's up to you whether you go forward with the same choice or not.

    Let's not forget the circumstances after U.S. Nats in January of this year:
    Max was not scheduled for any other competition. He was named only as second alternate for Four Continents and third alternate for Worlds.
    In contrast, Mirai received a firm assignment to Four Continents in the Olympic venue (where she earned the bronze ), plus she was named as first alternate for Worlds.
    It would have been natural for Max to quickly move on after Nats to deciding his music for the coming season. And to make lemonade out of the lemons of missing Four Continents and Worlds -- by getting as early a start on his new programs as possible.
    And it would have been natural for Mirai to focus first on training for and competing at Four Continents before settling on music/programs for the coming season.

    If the tables had been turned, I would have seen no reason for Mirai to defer to Max.
    And I see no reason for Max to defer to Mirai.



    ETA, just one of many examples of the comfortable and supportive (literally supportive , in this example) friendship btwn Max and Mirai :

    mirainagasu's Instagram video:
    On my step stool @maxtaaron trying to watch #collegiatechamps15
    https://instagram.com/p/6FpZFUi5eT/ (Aug 7, 2015)

  12. #12
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,270
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Facts, Mirai doesn't have her first choice music and Max does.

    Friendship, season starting earlier, whatever makes everyone feel better.

  13. #13
    Bona Fide Member ice coverage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11,916
    Country: United States of America

    3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Facts, Mirai doesn't have her first choice music and Max does.

    Friendship, season starting earlier, whatever makes everyone feel better.
    Mirai's comments and demeanor in the interview indicate that SHE seems to feel perfectly fine regarding this topic.

    And for me, her feelings on this topic are the only ones that really matter. Yours certainly do not.

  14. #14
    Hitting the "you're too sexy" button
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11,292
    Country: Australia

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Facts, Mirai doesn't have her first choice music and Max does.

    Friendship, season starting earlier, whatever makes everyone feel better.
    Fact: Max chose the music without knowing Mirai wanted it. For whatever reason, Mirai opted not to skate to it at that point.

    You are trying to paint Max as some jerkas$ who stole Mirai's music and it's not gonna fly.

  15. #15
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,270
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    She wanted Miss Saigon, and for whatever reason, she decided she didn't want her first choice after all. Something made her change her decision. Maybe Max, maybe her coach Tom, maybe her choreographer Jeff.

    Might as well skate to Miss Saigon at this point. Art imitates life.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •