Slutskaya signs with CMM | Golden Skate

Slutskaya signs with CMM

M

mmandel

Slutskaya signs with CMM

Slutskaya signs with CMM

Collins-Marshall Management (CMM) announces the signing of 2002 Olympic Silver Medalist and World Champion, Irina Slutskaya. Slutskaya captured the World title at the 2002 World Championships in Nagano, but was forced to withdraw from the 2003 World Championships in Washington D.C., last month to be with her mother who is suffering from kidney disease.

Irina Slutskaya
Slutskaya arrived in Baltimore March 31 for rehearsal for the 25th anniversary of Chevy Champions on Ice tour, which opens April 4.

"We are very happy to add Irina to the CMM family," said Michael Collins, one of the principals of CMM. "She has been one of the top skaters for the past four years, and we feel lucky to have the opportunity to showcase her talent.”

Slutskaya has been one of the top ladies figure skaters in the world for the past several years. She won the Olympic Silver Medal at the 2002 Games in Salt Lake City and then followed that up with her first win at the World Championship just a month later. This past season, she captured her 5th European Championship title.

Slutskaya is the newest client to join CMM, which also represents such stars as World Champion Evgeni Plushenko, two-time World Silver Medalist Timothy Goebel,

World Silver Medalists Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin, two-time World Bronze Medalist Fumie Suguri, Olympic Champion Viktor Petrenko, Grand Prix Champion Sasha Cohen, Olympic Ice Dance Champions Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat, World Professional Champions Liz Punsalan & Jerod Swallow, 5-time U.S. National Champions Naomi Lang & Peter Tchernyshev, World Junior Champion Ann Patrice McDonough and World Junior Champion Johnny Weir.

Collins-Marshall Management, led by Lee Marshall and Michael Collins, is a firm designed to provide complete management services to figure skaters both on and off the ice.

© 2003 BussFair

www.skatingsource.com/irinasigns.shtml

M

mathman444

Re: Slutskaya signs with CMM

I don't know much about the business side of the sport, but I think this is good news. I hope that it means that Irina is planning to skate in Champions on Ice for many years to come, whatever her competitive schedule may be.

Mathman

E

Excidra2001

Mathman,

It could be better than that. Irina never had an agent, thus not inking any endorsement deals. I think she might finally ink something, she has always wanted to endorse a product of some kind.

But I don'tknow if she will remain with COI for long because I received an email from SOI a few weeks ago and they are thinking of Irina and few other female skaters to join the tour.
I believe they are awaiting to see if Irina retires this season or the next.

D

DORISPULASKI

Great news! Does anyone know why Irina had no agent before this?

dpp

J

Joesitz

she's up and about and that's good news. She'll be back in competition and make up for last year. No need for her to retire.

Joe

H

heyang

Only skaters who sign with IMG appear in SOI. So, I doubt that Irina will skate with SOI until her contract with CMM expires.

N

NancyH

Exceptions

Not all skaters - Ilia had a four year contract with SOI and was (and still is) with William Morris. Of course CMM is a direct competitor of IMG's in the figure skating area so signing with them may put her out of SOI consideration. But I would hope that if SOI really feels that she is the answer to their female singles problem, they'd hire her regardless - probably giving them more faith than they deserve.

S

Show 42

Good for her.....I'd actually drive to San Jose to see her perform if she signs with SOI......42

T

Tejada1981

I'm not sure where people heard Irina didn't have an agent. She was with IMG for over 5 years.

C

CuteGreekGoddess

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:x-small;"><strong>
yay Irina
I am glad that she is not done yet :) </strong></span>

mzheng

Record Breaker

She definitely needs money to pay her mother's medical bill. Not sure which way she would make more money. Staying eligible and skating in COI or retireing from eligible rink joining SOI.

Year ago they say COI is much flexible you don't need sign for whole toure and you can choose the stops. While with SOI you must sign for the full toure. But rumore is that last year the top star some times randomly skiped the show for some 'injuries' or 'sick'. Tom Collins ended up took a lot heat. Since a lot of tickets holders complaining that they bought the tickets to see the OMG skating but the OMGist no showing. They bought the tickets under the toure advertizing of OMG would show in their city. So this year Tom enforced the rule you must skate the whole toure, thus the almost law suit between Tom & Hughes.

Now with that I would imagine how Irina do whole toures and attend her sicked mom? Dose she plan to fly back forth between US and Russia?

Hope her mom getting better soon.

J

Joesitz

Mzheng - Doesn't Russia have nationalized health care? But I think that Irina would want the best and would have to pay for that (you are correct).

Hopefull with the news of getting an agent means the mother is fine and IS is able to travel and perform.

Joe

G

GoldElephant

I think Irina is going the right thing. She will be one of few Russian Ladies that will prosper financially. She has the medals to secure her financial future. Good Luck!

E

Excidra2001

I didn't know Irina was with IMG. I was under the impression that she did not have an agent. Did she have a personal agent? meaning one who would go out of his/her way to secure Irina endorsement deals and such things. Or was she just managed by many people. I'm sure with CMM she has a personal agent.

What I don't understand is that Irina was with IMG for more than a few years(which a poster above stated) than how come she got to skate with COI? Which only deals with CMM clients.
So there is still hope that Irina(ones she retires or decides to skip next season to rejuvenate) might be able to skate with SOI.

P.S. Why did she leave IMG? Anybody know?

P

Ptichka

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> Doesn't Russia have nationalized health care? But I think that Irina would want the best and would have to pay for that (you are correct).[/quote]
Soviet Union used to have nationalized health care. Russia basically does not. There are some things you can get for free, but it is really scary. Unfortunately, there is really no health insurance system either, so people ned up having to pay for everything out of pocket. It is absolutely ridiculous what people there have to pay for. For example, often they will pay seperately to have disposable ciringes (sp?) used to make sure they do not get HIV. It is all a real shame, because Russia has many truly qualified and dedicated doctors.

N

NancyH

IMG/CMM

Excidra - somehow the misconception has gotten around that if you're going to skate to SOI you have to be an IMG client and if you're going to skate with COI you have to be a CMM client. Not so. Sure the producers like that arrangement because essentially they get a "bonus" from the skater because the agent's fee goes back to another one of their own businesses (not, imho, a great arrangement for the skaters - if the agent and the producer are essentially the same, how can the agent possibly drive the best deal for the skater with the producer?). But it's not a "requirement" and there are notable exceptions at both SOI and COI.

E

Excidra2001

Re: IMG/CMM

Nancy,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So there still hope that Irina might skate with SOI even though she is a CMM client.

N

NancyH

Irina

Excidra - I agree - I think she would do well and be an asset to the show. Every time she does a light-hearted or amusing exhibition program, she's great. She seems like a good person and I wish good things for her.

Nancy