LP: Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet

Julia Sebestyen
    SP: Fire on Ice by Bond
    LP: Carmen

Here's the link, which also has news about programs for some dance teams
    http://www.bladesonice.com/mag/blaweb1.htm

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Carmen can actually be a good choice for Julia; I just hope she's worked on her EXPRESSION since last season.

Shizuka can pretty much skate to anything and it'll be gorgeous....

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Sasha started this trend for skating to old standards again and I wish it would stop. Just what we need. Another Carmen. Another Romeo and Juliet. More Bond.

Nuts.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI
    Another Romeo and Juliet.
    But the Tchaikovsky version isn't the usual standard; we've been hit over the head with the Prokofiev in recent memory.

The last entries in to the Skate Music database seem to be from 2000. The main people who used the Tchaikovsky version in the 90's were Gordeeva/Grinkov (long, 1990), Kovarikova/Novotny (short, 1995), Klimova/Ponomorenko (short, 1995 and long, 1996), and Kulik (long, 1996-7). I know Volosozhar/Kharchenko used it along with Prokofiev and Rota versions for their long in 2003.

My favorite listing was "Romeo & Juliet (Tchaikovsky) / Man In the Iron Mask Soundtrack" which the Hartsells used for their long in 1998-9.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Is Tarasova just giving away Sasha's old programs like they're hand-me-downs? Didn't she skate to this music before?

Custom Title
    Sebestyen's short program is actually by Bijan Mortazavi. Kulikova/Markov used this music (quite successfully) in 2003 before their split.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    Is Tarasova just giving away Sasha's old programs like they're hand-me-downs? Didn't she skate to this music before?
    Uh? What are you talking about? Sasha didn't skate to any of this music. If you want to count Carmen, Sasha skated to Carmen way before she was with Tatiana Tarasova and besides, Carmen is that music every skater has to use sometime in their career LOL

Custom Title
    Carmen is that music every skater has to use sometime in their career LOL
    LOL, very true. I think it is written somewhere that a skater must use this music (in some form) at least once in their careers. Anyway, I really like Shizuka's choices. "Madame Butterfly" should be brilliant, and I have a feeling "Romeo & Juliet" will be just as stunning.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler
    Sebestyen's short program is actually by Bijan Mortazavi. Kulikova/Markov used this music (quite successfully) in 2003 before their split.
    Doing a Google search, there are many references to Kulikova/Markov's performance to Mortazavi's Fire on Ice. When I searched for "Fire on Ice Bond," I found:

1. One of many working titles for the James Bond film, "The World Is Not Enough" was "Fire on Ice." (The score for the film was not by Mortazavi.)

2. "Fire & Ice" is a cut from a dance album produced by Steven Bond

3. "The heartlessness of the modern commercial consumer society ruins the lives ot many. FIRE + ICE takes the purity and philosophy of early music and melds it into a message redolent with powerful seeds of honour truth, loyalty and the bond of true friendship."

While checking the "Bond" listings at amazon.com, I managed to relive most of my figure skating nightmares: checking titles, I found "Libertango," "Kismet," and "Quixote," but no "Fire on Ice," even on "Classified," their latest release (June '04). I also found out that among amazon buyers, people who bought Bond also bought Vanessa Mae, so that must explain it.

Mortazavi's Fire and Ice has modern energy and pop, and it will be a nice contrast to Carmen, although I hope Sebestyen uses some of the less hackneyed excerpts from that score.

Custom Title
    Shizuka doing Romeo and Juliet? This is a wonderful choice for her! I can just see this becoming a signature piece for her. Any news on her awesome 3/3's?
    Go Shizuka!!!!

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by hrmsk8ngnutt
    Just saw this on BOI:

Shizuka Arakawa
    SP: Puccini's Madame Butterfly

Julia Sebestyen
    SP: Fire on Ice by Bond
    LP: Carmen

Herm (sk8ngnutt)
    Stunning musical choices for both skaters!!

I think "Madame Butterfly" is a perfect choice for Shizuka, as is "Romeo and Juliet". Arakawa's wonderful artistry and great jumping ability will be showcased
    with both of these programs. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Julia Sebestyen's choices will really stretch her artistic abilities, and I applaud her for taking this step in her development as a skater. I think she will rise to the challenge and produce two strong programs.

Good luck, ladies!

On the Ice
    Walking Down the aisle with Sasha arm in arm
    [QUOTE=hrmsk8ngnutt]Just saw this on BOI:

Shizuka Arakawa
    SP: Puccini's Madame Butterfly

I personally wish she would use Madame Butterfly for the long and R&J for the Short

There are 3 R&J's that I know of and all of them (Prokofiev; Tschaikowsky, and Movie Soundtrack) have become tiresome to listen to yet again. Maybe there is an obscure R&J that someone could come up with? :sheesh:

I could say the same about Butterfly (and Tosca, and Turandot, and Boheme). Oh, my dear, where would figure skater's be without Puccini?

There is nothing that will convince me that another Carmen will be interpeted differently than ALL the previous Carmen's we've seen. Maybe she could do Escamillio's role. That would be novel.

I am not aware of the Bond music so at least it will be novel to me.

Joe

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    I wish that they would outlaw Carmen for further skating use. I love creative and new music. All of these seem repetitive...if not at the elite level, certainly on the lower levels.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz

There is nothing that will convince me that another Carmen will be interpeted differently than ALL the previous Carmen's we've seen. Maybe she could do Escamillio's role. That would be novel.
    Joe
    I think Plushenko did that version.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast