Rika Kihira landed 4S | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira landed 4S

Ender

Match Penalty
I think the 4S might be a bit short. But it's a huge accomplishment for lady.

MalAssada

Medalist
What? How come I go away for a while and this happens? What else have I missed since GPF?

tyrion14

Spectator
She's staying junior. She's not age eligible yet. It's an eerie parallel to Mao Asada in 2006.
If history repeats itself, does this mean we will see Eunsoo Lim atop the Olympic podium in 2022 with Kihira taking silver? :eeking:

Ender

Match Penalty
If history repeats itself, does this mean we will see Eunsoo Lim atop the Olympic podium in 2022 with Kihira taking silver? :eeking:
Or some other girls will get the gold because the current girls might not be able to land 3A or quads at the age 20.

Kara

Final Flight
Read on Sportnichi that the 4S was landed after about 23 tries so I'm hoping she's not pushing herself too much on getting the quad down only to end up injuring herself.:slink: The 3A looks amazing and so easy for her though!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
If the news were about a Russian girl there would be multiple posts here about potential future problems as she grows. Some might have even accused her coach for pushing the youngster too early too soon (Scherbakova and her quads, for example) especially knowing that Rika had an injury last season. So I am bringing the balance to the choir of praises. Yes, the jumps she showed are awesome, yes, Rika is the force to reckon this season in the junior world. But will she survive the puberty and isn't it too risky for a 14-year old girl to practice quads?

moriel

Record Breaker
At any rate, voice of reason. All those quads are only big deal when added to programs and done with some consistency.
Until that, cool down folks =)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
So excited! Hopefully we will see it in program this season! :hap10:

I hope that 3A will be a permanent and successful feature in Rika's upcoming season, looks so easy, smooth and unforced. For me, definitely another amazing Japanese young lady to follow and pay attention to. I strongly hope that she and her team will take things one at time and not push them too hard nor too fast - that 4S is really 'pushing the envelope' strong and bold move and for a casual FS viewer it is very exciting to see such things, saying that it will be really important to not become 'obsessed' and consumed about this quads jumped - for both Rika/her team and viewers. She's done it and she showed herself and all that she is capable of doing that - it could be a good motivational thing, to achieve something tried many times, a very ambitious and difficult thing. Everything is about being even between desire/ambition and steadiness in progress and development, it is a bit of voice of reason vs voice of emotions battle, also for viewers. But with opinions, it depends on what aspect the stress is pointed - some will go more on complaining side about pushing young ladies' bodies too far at such young age, some will rave about 'developing the sport', some will just show excitement for a skater. Everyone is different and see things in his/her own perspective.

Lots of health and luck to Rika!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I don't neccessarily think she should do layout including both 4S and 3A throught all season. She can pull Liza Tuktamysheva and include her strongest jump only at the end of the season when she will be more consistent with it :) I just wish to see her land it in program in ISU competition.... I really am glad that Ladies skating is finally doing step forward instead of just milking the current system for points with backloading and all. I don't expect Rika to be all great with it right away either, just do it when she will be prepared for it. I really support all attempts at harder jumps than 3Lz, especially since Mao is no longer skating competetively and Liza seems out of it in last two seasons :(

da96103

Record Breaker
Has she already done a 3A-triple combo last season and would she be the first
lady to do so is she does in competition this season?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Yup, she would be the first to do a 3A+3T in competition, if she were successful. Ito had done it in practice but never competition.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Yes, but she needs to do it in International event. I think she landed already this combo but that happened in local Japanese competition.

tars

Record Breaker
If the news were about a Russian girl there would be multiple posts here about potential future problems as she grows. Some might have even accused her coach for pushing the youngster too early too soon (Scherbakova and her quads, for example) especially knowing that Rika had an injury last season. So I am bringing the balance to the choir of praises. Yes, the jumps she showed are awesome, yes, Rika is the force to reckon this season in the junior world. But will she survive the puberty and isn't it too risky for a 14-year old girl to practice quads?
You can't compare Rika with Anna's bodies though. Rika looks more athletic and stronger.

ymnk

Spectator
I was so impressed seeing her skate the first time to a whole new world program. Sadly forgot where I first saw it, but it made me be curious for her name. Impressive that she is trying 4S now and her 3A is so beautiful, as is her skating to me :luv17:

Nika09

On the Ice
Ladies field, especially Japanese are lucky enough to have Kihira still as junior this season. With potentially beautiful programs and those jumps in arsenal she would be very dangerous competitor in this "fight" for Olympics ice.