Planning for "Real Time" Internet Viewing / Listening | Golden Skate

Planning for "Real Time" Internet Viewing / Listening

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I got a really late start last year figuring out how to get real time results via audio (and a VERY little video) over the net. Before the season gets underway, how 'bout we figure this out in advance?

For competitions covered by Eurosport, I enjoy listening to live audio via www.eurosport.com. I mysteriously got some live video (meaning I couldn't possibly tell you how I did it) from that site during World's last year (very slow) but wasn't able to figure that out again during the Oly Gymnastics (maybe they weren't televising).

What are the sites you visit for live coverage - audio, video, discussion? Which sources for which events?

DG

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I got a really late start last year figuring out how to get real time results via audio (and a VERY little video) over the net. Before the season gets underway, how 'bout we figure this out in advance?

For competitions covered by Eurosport, I enjoy listening to live audio via www.eurosport.com. I mysteriously got some live video (meaning I couldn't possibly tell you how I did it) from that site during World's last year (very slow) but wasn't able to figure that out again during the Oly Gymnastics (maybe they weren't televising).

What are the sites you visit for live coverage - audio, video, discussion? Which sources for which events?

DG
If a broadcast is on Eurosport, there are usually threads on Figure Skating Universe, where the watchers post descriptions of each performance while the judges are entering scores. Last year at Worlds, Rosaleen posted here live from Dortmund after each performance.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hey Hockyfan...

...could you post the link to FS Universe? It might be one I managed to "grab" at the last minute last year. If so, they closed off registration long before some folks wanted to sign up. I'm hoping on this thread that we can share very specific instructions about live coverage.

LOL - when I refer to "specific coverage" for myself, you might have to remind me to turn my computer on first. I guess you could say that this thread is "for the rest of us."

:sheesh:

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks Hockeyfan!

I had to switch computers since last year, and so I lost all my favorites. This is definitely the site which seemed to have up to the minute news for us "spoiled" people during World's last year. Thanks for sharing!!

DG

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yes, last year on FSUniverse were posted in connection with many competitions links for live broadcasts (sometimes via a Chinesh or Turkish? station). I hope that will continue this season too...

Marjaana

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Tivo....

My husband and I made a decision recently to dump our cable movie channels, and get a Tivo instead so we can easily record what we REALLY like to watch (basic and extended cable does it for us). The movie channels cost a fortune and any time we want to kick back and watch a movie, there are so many choices of bad movies we got tired of it!

The Tivo will make recording of skating events a breeze this year. You can set it up to record a particular topic (Figure Skating) and it catches all related programs and automatically records. No more forgetting to set up the VCR! No more meticulous checking of the TV Guide!!

The base model was a net cost of $99. ($199 with a $100 rebate) Hubby got it at Target I think. A birdie tells me that someone with a bit of technical expertise might be able to upgrade the storage capacity on their own. The monthly service fee is about $12 per month. We were spending WAY more than that on bad movie channels.

Just wanted to share that info for the "VCR Challenged" like me in case you haven't checked it out.

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thumbs up on the Tivo!

It really was a great $99 investment. It's even catching skating programs like specials I didn't even know were on!!

DG