Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Naomi Lang has a baby girl

Custom Title

Naomi Lang has a baby girl

http://www.xtremeice.org

Follow page links to story and photos. sorry direct link didn't work.

Congrats to them. They look very happy

I had no idea he was the father.

They are a nice looking trio! I wish she was still skating. She was so good at DC Worlds and so undermarked.

BTW. How come the baby get's the father's name? Are Naomi and Besedin married?

Joe

Custom Title
    I had no idea he was the father.
    LOL...don't feel bad, I had no idea she was pregnant! :D

She can give the baby any surname she chooses, regardless of whether or not they are married.

I had clients from Ethiopia, and their children's surname is different from that of BOTH parents, as per tradition in their country! (They took their father's middle name as their surname, I think.) The mother retained her own surname. Both kids were born in the U.S., so that did cause a bit of confusion in the hospital. :D

Anyhow, that little baby is absolutely ADORABLE! I especially love the photo of Vladimir holding her against his chest. Definitely a heart melting photo!
    Last edited by RealtorGal; 08-31-2004 at 09:11 AM.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Congrats to Naomi and family. May they have a good life together.

Quote Originally Posted by RealtorGal
    She can give the baby any surname she chooses, regardless of whether or not they are married.
    I like the Mexican system -- a child gets his/her father's last name, AND mother's maiden name. When a woman gets married, she keeps her father's last name, but instead of her mother's maiden name appends her husband's father's name.

For example, Maria Shriver would have been born Maria Shriver Kennedy, and would now be Maria Shriver Schwarzenegger.

That's why, for example, the bookstores that really know what they are doing put the books of Gabriel Garcia Márquez under 'G', not 'M', because Garcia is not a middle name, but THE last name, the one he'd pass on to his children.
    Last edited by Ptichka; 08-31-2004 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks Ptichka I was never clear on that. Does anyone know how that works in Great Britain....Parker Bowles, Rhys Jones?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Thanks Ptichka I was never clear on that. Does anyone know how that works in Great Britain....Parker Bowles, Rhys Jones?
    :\ I think it varies over here. Double barrelled names are often associated with the upper, or upper middle classes. In the case of 'Parker-Bowles,' etc, at one time two parent's names were combined, but then the double surname just got passed down as one name.

As far as i know there is no law to say the child can't take the father's name if the parents aren't married.

Congrats to both new parents, she is adorable.

Then let's call her Lilia Besedin Lang or maybe Lilia Lang Besdedin. If the couple do not get married, I think the kid should have both last names. JMO.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    I like the Mexican system -- a child gets his/her father's last name, AND mother's maiden name. When a woman gets married, she keeps her father's last name, but instead of her mother's maiden name appends her husband's father's name.

For example, Maria Shriver would have been born Maria Shriver Kennedy, and would now be Maria Shriver Schwarzenegger.

That's why, for example, the bookstores that really know what they are doing put the books of Gabriel Garcia Márquez under 'G', not 'M', because Garcia is not a middle name, but THE last name, the one he'd pass on to his children.

It's not just the Mexican system, Spain has the same tradition. I suppose they started it. I bet there are a lot more Latin American countries that use that system.

A bit more last name trivia:

In Mongolia they do not use last names.

Some nomadic Artic nations do not use last names either.

In China ladies keep their last names, while baby gets the father's.

A lot of African countries (Nigeria for ex) ladies keep their last names.

In some Muslim countries ladies also keep their last names (I bet you did not suspect that!)

as Miffy stated, in UK (England more than others), hyphenated last names are mostly associated with upper class (aristocratic vs. economic). Camila's ex-husband's full last name was Parker Bowles, so it's not just women who have hyphenated last names.

Personally, I hyphenated my name when I got married. I would've preferred to keep my REAL name, but hyphenation was the compromise.

BTW, the baby is very cute.

Yana

Rinkside
    she is so cute, they look happy
    congratulations for them

Custom Title
    My sister kept her maiden name. She is working on getting a doctorate in chemistry and changing her name to her husband's would have made her sound like a sex therapist or strip tease dancer instead of a chemist when you add Dr to it.

There is always a good reason to go with other than the cultural norm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast