Ann Patrice left her coach? | Golden Skate

Ann Patrice left her coach?

O

Ogre Mage

Ann Patrice left her coach?

There have been rumors that an APM coaching change may be happening. I read a report on 2002 Midwestern sectional which was interesting. It has been backed up by other posters. Seems like AP and her current coach don't get along very well.

<a href="http://www.theskateblade.com/eve...turday.htm" target="top">www.theskateblade.com/eve...turday.htm</a>
AP was reeling off triple lutzes, flips, and toes in the warm-up but when it came to her program she hit nothing. That's right, not one clean triple jump. She fell on a triple lutz and flip, and popped about 75% of her jumps into singles or doubles. Seemed like she didn't even care past the half way point of the program. Although she had nice spins and beautiful expression to the music, this definitely was not a good showing of her attitude both on and off the ice. After her program, she almost immediately left the ice only to get in a shouting match with coach Tom Zakrajsek. What a shame.

I wonder if because of Sarah's poor performance this season, APM may feel that 2004 may be the right time for a "shakeup" in the U.S. ranks.

E

eltamina

Re: Ann Patrice left her coach?

That report was more than one year old? I think SP is a much better competitor now. I wish her the best. It will be interesting to see who will be coaching her?

L

Ladskater

Skaters' are constantly changing coaches for one reason or the other. It probably will do her good to get a new approach to her skating. I wish her the best, she is a lovely skater. I think she just needs a little more polish.

Ladskater

J

Joesitz

Yes Ladd, but when MK changes coaches it is 8 page threads mostly for putting her down in doing so.

Joe

L

Ladskater

Joesitz:

I think MK fans were bewildered as to why Michelle left her coach and were worried she could not function without him. He more or less brought her along all these years. She proved everyone wrong in time. Sometimes skaters get identified with one coach and when they make a switch everyone is shocked. It always works out in the end - either good or bad. Skaters have even been known to go back to their old coach if they are not satisfied with the new one.
I hope it works our for Anne Patrice.

Ladskater

2loop2002

2002 Midwesterns would have been held in November of 2001. So, Eltamina is correct; the report is more than a year old. From what I've heard AP is still coached by Tom Zakrajzec.

T

Tejada1981

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>From what I've heard AP is still coached by Tom Zakrajzec.[/quote]

Ann Patrice's webmaster confirmed on SkateForum that she has left Tom. Ann Patrice told her herself. skatinginc.com/SkateForum...5&id=13267

D

DORISPULASKI

AP coaches

From the forum sounds like her mother had a spat with her coach. Damon Allen is at the same facility as Tom Z.
So maybe it isn't permanent.

dpp

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

Re: AP coaches

At the risk of sounding like a bash, I think AP's mom is one of those skating moms that are all over rinks everywhere. I hear that AP doesn't really enjoy skating...but looking at Nats 2003 LP performance, I hope she stays till 2006. I really enjoy AP's style of skating and I hope her mom doesn't try to control her too much.

R

rgirl181

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Yes Ladd, but when MK changes coaches it is 8 page threads mostly for putting her down in doing so.<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I think a lot of the controversy surrounding Michelle's decision was that she didn't change coaches, she went to no coach and did so approximately six months before the Olympics. I supported Michelle leaving Frank and none of us knows the real story of what happened and why. I think it was just the timing and not having a new coach in place that were unfortunate.

As for AP or any skater changing coaches, I think at some point in many skaters' careers there comes a time when they can't really "hear" what their coaches are saying. When I taught dance, you would be the guest artists someplace, teach a class, and have students come up to you and say, "With the way you explained thus and such, it finally made sense to me!" Of course I knew darn well that their instructors had been teaching them the same concepts in very much the same ways for years, but just because you were new and especially billed as "guest artist" everything you said had greater impact. Of course it worked both ways. The students I taught regularly got sick of me too. And anyone who has been in a longterm relationship has seen their significant other listen rapturously at a party to someone saying the same thing you said the day before, except when you said it the response was a behind the newspaper "Uh-huh" and when the new babe says it the response is, "Wow! That is fascinating!":lol: Vice versa applies here, too;)

The point is that I think often coaching changes are needed not so much because the coach has any "secret formula" (although a few rare coaches, like Moskvina, seem to me to have unique gifts) but because the skater needs to hear the same old thing from a new voice. Also, often coaches get into ruts with their skaters, as in seeing the same old thing. It's a human endeavor and such is life.

Of course there are those few skaters who have successfully stayed with one coach--Brian Boitano and Linda Lever come to mind.

In any case, I hope AP is able to take her skating to the next level with whatever this coaching change is. I find her to be a beautiful, athletic, and mesmerizing [/quote][/quote]

P

Ptichka

I wonder if the Russian visa fiasco was Ann Patrice's team's fault. I mean, somebody sure was to blame for that!

C

ciao997

Michelle's Coaching Change

Rgirl,

I understand the concerns that you raised about Michelle's coaching change and you are quite right that these topics were fair to debate. However, I think Joesitz was referring to all the bashing that went on about Michelle's coaching change. She was called a traitor by many posters and even a Nazi by a few. People speculated that the reasons for the parting with Frank were due to the fact that Michelle wanted to keep the money she was paying Frank, that she was jealous of Tim G, that she didn't want to share the glory with Frank if she won the OGM, etc. These accusations were made on many compeitors boards and general skating boards, including this one. Many in particular were made by two Sasha fans/Michelle bashers who used to be very present on this board, but who have since left. Ironically, they had nothing to say when Sasha then left her coach.