College Football | Golden Skate

College Football

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Which teams do you follow? My #10RANKED WVU MOUNTAINEERS :love: :love: :love: are whoopin' up on Eastern Carolina 56 to 15 right now. Lee Corso (who I have always referred to as stupid- a$$, NOW he is a football genius, LOL) has picked us to play for the National Championship so it is a very exciting year. We don't get a lot to get excited about here so a good football season is really something special. Yikes, K.J. Harris just broke the alltime single game rushing record for WVU and the Big East with 337 yards!!!

We are supposed to play Central Florida at the Citrus Bowl next week. I wonder if Hurricane Frances will change that?

Mathman, how did Michigan State lose to Rutgers???? :eek:

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Well, I'm not Mathman but to answer your question about how MSU lost to Rutgers.....Rutgers played better overall and also didn't have players keep keeling over from overheating today! MSU lost a player to that about every third play or something it felt like!! I watched that game and it was quite a good game. Shocker for sure! :eek:

I follow the OSU Buckeyes who whooped up on the University of Cincinnati today and beat them 27-6 (normally I am a UC fan too but I always root for OSU no matter who they play!). I wish I had been able to watch the game but I had to settle for random updates while I was at work today. The game was over before I was able to get home from there. Ahh, at least they won though! :D

Congrats on your team doing so well Piel!! :)

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Though I'm not a football fan, I went to see the Nebraska Cornhuskers with my dad tonight. (I've dragged him to enough skating events....I felt it only fair :laugh: ) I'd gone once before, in 1984, in a blizzard, but he assured me that in September, this wouldn't happen. :D

Anyway, Nebraska's defense sort of fell apart in the third quarter (can't tell by the final score, but trust me, it did) and the overly large gentleman next to me went for his bottle of nitro! :eek: He seemed okay at the end of the game, though, but sheesh.

We saw the Rutgers score on the scoreboard and were wondering what the heck happened. Thanks for the explanation!

Laura :)

No surprise here, about the Rutgers juggernaut. Rutgers invented the game, playing in the first ever intercollegiate football contest in 1869 (Rutgers 6, Princeton 4).

Since they did not have uniforms, the Rutgers team (25 on a side) wore a red scarf wrapped into a turban on their heads -- the first football helmets -- so you could tell who was who.

Johnny-come-lately Michigan State Agricultural College didn't win a national championship until 1952. You call that tradition? :laugh:

One trend that is becoming increasingly obvious under the BCS format for determining the national championship, is how most of the contenders are watering down their pre-season schedules to avoid taking a chance on losing a game in the early going. Michigan used to play Notre Dame (back when Notre Dame was good), USC, Nebraska, maybe Miami. This season they have Miami of Ohio, Notre Dame (now), and San Diego State. They may be undefeated all the way up to the Ohio State game without having played anybody.

But watch out for the Wayne State University Warriors! We recently changed our name to Warriors from Tartars. Nobody knew what a Tartar was, thinking it had something to do with fish sauce or bad teeth.

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mathman, which conference does Wayne State play in? :)

We play in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

Now it's true that we lost yesterday to Northwood, 70-3, giving up 758 yards. And we've got our hands full with perennial powerhouses Mercyhurst, Findlay, Hillsdale and Ashland on the schedule. Still, Go, Warriors!

Football really isn't our thing. Although you would think with a student body of 32,000 we ought to be able to pick up a decent team sometimes just by walk-ons. Our big sports, that we are national contenders in, are fencing and glee club. (True.) :)

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't watch college anything... though now that I get into the great Alaska shootout for free I just might go to some of those

that and Alaska doesn't have a football team :( so there's no point to watch, right? LOL I have been to a UWashington game, and it was ok... spent the entire game reading Scott Hamilton's Autobiography! anyway, I still keep up with high school football though... my high school is undefeated so far in their conference, they did lose to a bigger school last weekend though... haven't heard anything about this week's game(s) yet though :(

Longhornliz

Final Flight
HOOK EM HORNS!!!! We won our first game in a ridiculous blowout v University of North Texas .

Toni- The new banner at the bottom of you sig is frightening... W making out is not fun to look at. (mostly kidding)

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Liz, I got my Master's at UNT, its not fair to beat up on us like that! We're a conference below you, for cripes sake! :mad: Did your coach bring in the second string at all? :p

When I was getting my BA at the University of Houston, one year, in a fluke, we stomped on Texas like 63-14, and they whined that we ran up the score, even though by the end, we had our freshman in the game. So I tend to be a bit hard on the Longhorns. :D

The cool thing about the Nebraska game was the Nebraska coach started bringing in the non-starters in the third quarter, and the number three quarterback was in for the last ten minutes or so, and threw a touchdown pass. So that was cool.

Laura :)

Lynn226

On the Ice
Go Herd!!!

That's the Marshall Thundering Herd. Hey, Piel, are you up for a turf battle? :D

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Lynn226 said:
Go Herd!!!

That's the Marshall Thundering Herd. Hey, Piel, are you up for a turf battle? :D

YES, LOL!!! I called my uncle in Huntington Saturday night to gloat after hearing Marshall LOST :D :D :D . Of course his reply was "...but did you see that Bush :mad: :mad: :mad: has a double digit lead over Kerry :love: :love: :love: ?" Yes, my favorite uncle is both a Herd fan and a Republican. VERY misguided but still family.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Longhornliz said:
Toni- The new banner at the bottom of you sig is frightening... W making out is not fun to look at. (mostly kidding)

I think that picture was taken just as the Bushies were getting ready to shake it like a poloroid picture :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Some sad news. The ex son-in-law and 15 year old grandson of FSU head coach Bobby Bowden were killed in an auto accident yesterday. From Yahoo news....

Bowden Kin Are Killed in Hurricane

Mon Sep 6, 2:24 PM ET

QUINCY, Fla. - A grandson and a former son-in-law of Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden were killed when their car was hit a by a utility truck that was helping to restore power outages caused by Hurricane Frances.

AP Photo

John Allen Madden, a 45-year-old former Florida State lineman who played under Bowden, and his 15-year-old son, Bowden Madden, were killed instantly Sunday when the passenger side of their car hit the front of the truck, Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Robert Mills said Monday.

Mills said the Bowden family had been informed of the deaths.

"Most of us have been around all of the Bowden family a great deal, and it is a loss shared by all of us," Florida State athletic director Dave Hart said in a statement. "Words can't express the grieving I know the Bowdens are going through."

The driver of the truck, Danny Headley, was not injured.

Moments before the collision on rain-slicked Interstate 10, the Maddens' car bumped a van as the two were traveling side by side, causing both vehicles to cross over the highway median and the van to end up in the woods.

The two passengers in the van — Larry Maines and his wife, Margaret — had minor injuries but did not need to be hospitalized.

John Madden and Bowden's daughter Ginger divorced in January after 22 years of marriage.

The Seminoles are scheduled to open their season Friday at Miami in a game that was postponed from Monday by the hurricane.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
What are everyone's teams up to today? WVU is playing Central Florida at the Citrus Bowl. I'm hoping for my guys top have a lot less penalties, KJ to have another record breaking week, waaaaaaaaay better play by the kicking team, and for quarterback Rasheed Marshall to have to have a breakout day passing. Hoping for700 yards offense isn't unreasonable, is it :D ?

We need gold as a font color choice...W
VU
yellow doesn't work :( .

bronxgirl

Medalist
Mimai did beat FSU in a thriller (I've adopted Miami as my football team since I went to med school there :) )

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Now you know that Miami, Virginia Tech, and Boston College have raped the Big East conference in order just to make more money in the ACC? WV being a small state can't count on in state players. Southern Florida has always been good to us in that we get Miami's rejects who are anxious to get to play against the Hurricanes. Now that we don't play UM :cry: the incentive for them to come to WV is gone.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Well, it is certainly not going to be a 700 yard offense night. Early in the third quarter we have turned the ball over twice :mad: . WVU is leading but not by enougfh 28-17.. Like ice, grass and turf are also slippery!

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
My undergrad school just went division 1 a few years ago. When dinosaurs roamed the earth and I attended, football was a club sport (not even division III).
You can therefore understand my transferrred allegiance to UM (tenuous as it is)
go canes? :laugh:

Piel said:
We need gold as a font color choice...W[/COLOR]VU
yellow doesn't work :( .
Hey, Piel, this is GOLD

And this is GOLDENROD

All you have to do is type in the name of the color you want where it says "color=..." It doesn't have to be on the GS dropdown list.

AND ANOTHER THING :laugh: People who write in size 1 or 2 type obviously do not want CERTAIN OTHER PEOPLE to be able to read their posts, LOL.

Mathman:)

PS. Edited to add: Notre Dame 28, Michigan 20 :cry:

Last edited: