Dorothy Hamill at the Republican Convention | Golden Skate

Dorothy Hamill at the Republican Convention

Did anyone see Dorothy Hamill's appearance at the Repubican National Convention last week? I just learned about it from this article in the Golden Skate newsletter (thanks, Paula).

Hamill says she wants to foster patriotism Hamill spoke as part of a group of athletes including Mary Lou Retton, Kerri Strug and footballer Lynn Swan in support of Bush. Some highlights:

"Although Hamill worked for former President Reagan's election and re-election campaigns, she said she rarely talks about her political views publicly.

"I really try not to be political. My job is not to be political," Hamill said."

About the Olympics:

"There is nothing more incredible than standing on that platform when they drape the flag around your neck and hearing the national anthem," Hamill said.

Hamill said she was disappointed this year that some felt U.S. patriotism at the games had to be played down for fear of seeming jingoistic.

"The Olympics aren't supposed to be political," she said. "It is always sad when you can't be as vocal about being proud to be an American."

"Maybe it's Pollyannaish, but I long for the old days when it was us against the Eastern Bloc countries."

(Well, as long as it's not political, Dorothy, LOL.)

Do you think that athletes and movie stars should use their celebrity to speak out for political causes that they feel passionate about? Should they try to keep their political lives separate from their public lives as entertainers? Should they lay low so as not to get in trouble, like the Dixie Chicks did last year?

Mathman

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
Did anyone see Dorothey Hamill's appearance at the Repubican National Convention last week? I just learned about it from this article in the Golden Skate newsletter (thanks, Paula).

Do you think that athletes and movie stars should use their celebrity to speak out for political causes that they feel passionate about? Should they try to keep their political lives separate from their public lives as entertainers? Should they lay low so as not to get in trouble, like the Dixie Chicks did last year?

Mathman

Thanks for the link concerning Dorothy Hamill's appearance at last week's Republican National Convention. I watched most of the evening cable and network coverage, but I somehow missed seeing Dorothy speak on Thursday evening. I'm glad to hear that she's involved in the political process and that she stresses the importance of VOTING. Folks, if you don't bother to vote, then don't bother to complain if you don't like the outcome of the election. As we all learned so convincingly in 2000 - EVERY VOTE COUNTS!!!

As for whether or not I think entertainers, celebrities, sports figures, etc., should become involved in politics, my take is, "Sure, why not?" Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, regardless of whether he or she happens to be a household name. However, I strongly urge everyone to not take what these "celebrities" have to say so seriously. Just because so-and-so endorses a particular candidate, that doesn't mean that any of us have to jump on the bandwagon. Let's keep an open mind and have an independent thought process about all of this.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I don't know if these photos are any reflections on their political affiliations, but here are pictures of Sarah and Angela enjoying the company of prominent republicans, while TARA takes a more bi-partisan view that might make a few smokers in here angry.

Glacierskater

On the Ice

Mathman[/QUOTE]

Only if they don't sound like and idiot, and some of them really do. I don't find much to respect or believe from the extremist zealots....of either party. It is kind of like using NEVER and ALWAYS.

GordonSk8erBoi

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Mathman

Sure, why not? The kicker, though, is that they have to understand that some might not like their positions, and might boycott them. Free speech works all ways. They have the right to express their opinions, and others have the right to like or not like it.

skatepixie

On the Ice
My problem isnt with the Dixie Chicks isnt that they are against the president, its the fact that they said it at a performence in another country. You want to say what you are? Fine. I dont care. As long as you are respectful and do it in the proper place and at the proper time.

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't have a problem with celebrities supporting politicians or being involved in causes. However, I feel that they must perform their 'politicking' at the appropriate events.

I don't want to hear a vote Republican/Democrat speech at an event that is not for that specific party. I don't object to a Get Out The Vote event if it's multi-partisan. I also don't think that it's appropriate for Susan Sarandon and Richard Gere to make 'speeches' at the Oscars - that's not what the night is about. Wearing Ribbons are a symbol, but not 'preachy'.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Listen, celebrities are caled to testify at congressional hearings about "scientific matters" such as the coating that goes on fruit when they don't know the difference between valine and valium. We live in a society that gives this preference to celebrity, so I don't blame them for using it to preach their views. I don't have to agree, I just have to learn the issues for myself and make my own choices.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
heyang said:
I don't have a problem with celebrities supporting politicians or being involved in causes. However, I feel that they must perform their 'politicking' at the appropriate events.

I don't want to hear a vote Republican/Democrat speech at an event that is not for that specific party. I don't object to a Get Out The Vote event if it's multi-partisan. I also don't think that it's appropriate for Susan Sarandon and Richard Gere to make 'speeches' at the Oscars - that's not what the night is about. Wearing Ribbons are a symbol, but not 'preachy'.

ITA! Last year Lauren Hill was invited to sing at a Christmas special that was supposed to be televised from the Vatican. She picked that time to complain about the abuse of children by Catholic priests. IMO it would have been more appropriate to have refused the invitation and to have stated her reasons in the refusal. It's difficult to get people to listen to your message if you have already p***** them off.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
OTOH, Dorothy how could you be a Republican???? :confused: :( :confused:

I think that MTV did a great job with their get out the vote campaign at the VMA awards. I wish that when I was a new voter there had been more effort made to get out the younger vote. The only time we heard from the government was when the guys got a DRAFT NOTICE :mad:!

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It doesn't bother me when celebrities speak out. I just don't particularly put any stock in what they say, unless there is a particular reason that they would know more about the issue than any average person.

Free speech is in the Bill of Rights. Celebrities are entitled to it, just as anyone else in this country. Anyone who boycotts someone because of a disagreement about politics ought to reread the Constitution four or five times and understand what America and our democracy is all about.

A case in point is the demonstrators at the Republican Convention who marched, chanting, "This is what Democracy Looks Like." They were right.

Good on both Dorothy and the Dixie Chicks for having opinions and not being afraid to show them.

bleuchick

On the Ice
well...a figure skater on a national convention...is quite ..er...a milestone...I dunno.. :\

Antilles

Medalist
I don't think Sarah being photographed with Bush means anything about her political views. She was invited to the White House after winning her gold medal. I'm sure she still would have been hounoured to go if the President had been a Democrat.

Celebrities are entitled to their opinions, just like everyone else.

skatepixie

On the Ice
I dont think a skater had spoken at a convention before, but I think it was fitting. Basically, she talked about how proud she is to be an American and how proud she is of the 103 medals we won in Athens. That was basically what it was about, not politics persay. Who better than a well-known/well-loved athlete to say those things?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Should celebrities have the right to speak out and say whatever they like in support of who/whatever they like? Absolutely. No question. Do I personally want to hear it? Generally not. They often say one thing and then do another. I also am not a big fan of political statements made at events like the Oscars. It really takes away from all of those being honored, IMO. So...I am certainly not a Michael Moore fan! I so often want to side with him and do on many of the issues he deals with, but I feel that he utilizes highly questionable (and often unethical) methods in order to reach his goals. If you can't stay on the moral high ground and present your case with dignity, then at the end of the day you aren't really any better than those you were trying to make your case against. I am far too much of an idealist....LOL...I'd make the worst politician in history it seems!

heyang said:

It didn't stop Olympia Dukakis from sounding off on behalf of her cousin Michael in her best supporting actress award speech.

As for the dixie chicks, I don't see any problem with people who are against war.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I have no problem with celebrities speaking on politics. If anything, it may actually make it seem like politics cool.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Re: political speeches by celebrities..............who else has the time, the money, the chutzpah and the speaking experience? (besides politicians, that is)