Dorothy Hamill at the Republican Convention | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dorothy Hamill at the Republican Convention

skatepixie

On the Ice
I dont think its a good thing at the oscars. I dont think its a good thing at a concert. I DO think its ok at convention or in interviews or something of that nature.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
who else has the time, the money, the chutzpah and the speaking experience?

LOL...but what about intelligence and common sense? Most celebrities leave those at home. Oh well, I guess most politicans do as well!

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:
So...I am certainly not a Michael Moore fan! I so often want to side with him and do on many of the issues he deals with, but I feel that he utilizes highly questionable (and often unethical) methods in order to reach his goals. If you can't stay on the moral high ground and present your case with dignity, then at the end of the day you aren't really any better than those you were trying to make your case against.
Off topic, I am glad I am not the only moderate-to-liberal person who feels ambivalent about Michael Moore. On one hand, I agree with many of his views. It is also true that the far right (Rush, Ann Coulter, Michael Savage, et al) have been using these tactics for years and it is amusing that someone on the left finally decided to fight fire with fire. And yet I find Moore's work so manipulative, biased and at times mean-spirited that even I, someone who shares many of his views, cannot take it seriously.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Im surprised no one has mentioned Sasha's big moment with George W at the opening ceremonies.

Just Kidding I know just because a skater has their photo taken with a political figure doesn't automatically make them a member of a political party.

However skaters political views go back many years. Hasn't it been said Sonja Henie did support Hitler. He even watched her skate. While the famous Charlotte was forced to live in exile and eventually fled Europe for not supporting the Nazi regime.

skatepixie

On the Ice
She didnt "support" him exactly. She gave the salute, but it would have been dumb not to. You also have to realize that no one in 1936 knew what he was doing to the Jews. Certainly, a skater busy with training wouldnt have known. You also have to remember that the war had not started yet. The war in Europe began in 39, and the US became involved in 41.

Sonja later married an American and became a citizen in 1942. Im sure she wasnt a real "supporter" of Hitler, it was more like she did it knowing that it would be the easiest way.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
Off topic, I am glad I am not the only moderate-to-liberal person who feels ambivalent about Michael Moore.
You are certainly not alone (and you know from the Cafe that I am very liberal). I feel that Moore is of the same ilk as Rush, and has always been. Now, if more liberals acted that way I would just have to loose my snobbish sense of superiority to all those conservatives out there :p

Sonya Henie
It's not so much how she acted during the Olympics, which is fine in my book. The more questionable actions came after Germany invaded Norway. Sonya called her house staff to tell them to display a picture of herself with Hitler up front in the house. Indeed, when the Germans came they looted all the houses on that strip except for Sonya Henie's. Now, I am not saying what she did was necessarily wrong (whom exactly would it have benefited to have her goods go to the Nazis), but it is certainly questionable.

SkatePixie, a lot was know in 1936 to anyone who wanted to know. In fact, in 1935 43% of Americans were for boycotting the Olympics.

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
You are certainly not alone (and you know from the Cafe that I am very liberal). I feel that Moore is of the same ilk as Rush, and has always been. Now, if more liberals acted that way I would just have to loose my snobbish sense of superiority to all those conservatives out there

I'm very glad to hear that other liberal minded people also have a bit of a problem with Moore, too. Generally, when I've discussed what I don't like about him I get branded as some sort of freak or a closeted right wing sympathizer, lol. I guess I just find the old phrase "the end justifies the means" completely bogus. It is an unacceptable excuse for all of those that utilize dirty tactics (lies, slander, backstabbing, etc.) to achieve their goals.

GordonSk8erBoi

Rinkside
BronzeisGolden said:
I'm very glad to hear that other liberal minded people also have a bit of a problem with Moore, too. Generally, when I've discussed what I don't like about him I get branded as some sort of freak or a closeted right wing sympathizer, lol. I guess I just find the old phrase "the end justifies the means" completely bogus. It is an unacceptable excuse for all of those that utilize dirty tactics (lies, slander, backstabbing, etc.) to achieve their goals.

I don't like him either. I found Fahrenheit 9/11 to be poorly done for the most part. I thought it would have been much more effective without some of the juvenile voiceovers and generally mean-spiritedness. If it had been done from a more objective and less biased perspective it could have been very effective indeed.

For what it's worth, the usual expression is that the ends DON'T justify the means (or "two wrongs don't make a right").

mpal2

Final Flight
I'm not alone! :D

Everytime I critisize Michael Moore, my sister jumps all over me asking why I'm so supportive of Bush. My dislike of Moore has nothing to do with who or what he is currently attacking. If he had attacked Kerry in the same way, I would have been irritated.

I hate that things are edited down so much in the news anyway. I don't like it when someone goes through even greater lengths to create an image that may or may not really exist.

I can't remember the channel, but I saw a program that addressed the issues with editing. They showed a tv pitch where everyone was laughing and having a good time. It made it look like the pitch was going well. They showed the same meeting where everyone was somber and showed dislike for the pitch. It just proves that you can make things look completely different. BTW, the pitch was rejected.

Anyway, I have to agree that celebrities should be able to voice a political opinion. I just wish they would pick appropriate times and places. Award shows or other such fluffy entertainment events are inappropriate. Rallys, conventions or interviews are fine.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
SkatePixie, a lot was know in 1936 to anyone who wanted to know. In fact, in 1935 43% of Americans were for boycotting the Olympics.

People knew that he wasnt exactly a good guy, but even our troops didnt know about the things he was doing to the Jews until after we started liberating camps.

The picture story is one even *I* havent heard, and thats saying something. I dont know that that makes her a supporter, it might just make her a survivor.

Edit: Coming from the other side so to speak, I just wanted you to know that Im a republican/conservitive/right-winger/whatever who cant stand Rush. I havent listened to him at legnth or really enough to form an educated opinion because his voive irritates me to no end. Funny, I though you needed a good voice to be on the radio. Maybe this Valley Girl stands a chance. ;)

Last edited: