Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wierd, Wacky Competitve Moments

SkateFan4Life

Wierd, Wacky Competitve Moments

Does anyone out there remember the 1973 World Championships in which the tape broke during Irina Rodnina/Alexandr Zaitsev's long program? They had just begun their program to lively Russian music and - ZAP - silence. They continued on with their performance, despite the fact the referee repeatedly blew his whistle and signaled for them to stop. The audience clapped their encouragement, and somehow they completed their program and won their first World pair title. Just a small question, but how did the judges managed to award them artistic impression marks, which supposedly are, at least, given for their performance TO THE MUSIC.

A more recent incident occurred at the 1994 Winter Olympics. Tonya Harding had somehow neglected to pack extra pairs of skate laces, and she frantically tried to lace her skates prior to her long program performance, as the clock ticked away. My videotape shows a clock ticking off the seconds towards her disqualification. Harding just managed to get onto the ice, but she quit her long program after she missed her first jump - triple lutz - as the skate lace was too loose to support her foot. Duh.

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    I thought that the prelude to Michelle's skate at Dortmund was odd...the yellow tutu man.

Custom Title
    I beilieve that G&G were once disqualified from Euros when their music also stopped, but they continued anyway. Or was that because the strap on Sergei's pants was broken. Anyway, I believe that they were given the opportunity to reskate, but they declined.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn226
    I beilieve that G&G were once disqualified from Euros when their music also stopped, but they continued anyway. Or was that because the strap on Sergei's pants was broken. Anyway, I believe that they were given the opportunity to reskate, but they declined.
    As far as I remember from Katia´s book, their coach did not ask them to stop and that´s why they did not continued.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-06-2004 at 03:01 AM.

Custom Title
    Wasn't the boot incident Tonya's third bizzare incident of that season? As I can recall she stopped in the middle of her long program at Skate America because her skate blade was loose. I remember her tightening it on the boards with a scewdriver. Then at another competition Nationals I believe the back of her costume became unhooked.

I think Midori jumping out of the rink could defintely be classified as wacky. Its not everyday you see that.
    Or what about tha competition, I believe it was 03 Lalique, when the bird kept landing on the ice during the mens competiton.

If I remember correctly, the lights went out in the arena briefly during a U.S. Nationals competition; I don't remember the year. Wendy Burge (who won the bronze) was in the final moments of her program when it happened.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RealtorGal
    If I remember correctly, the lights went out in the arena briefly during a U.S. Nationals competition; I don't remember the year. Wendy Burge (who won the bronze) was in the final moments of her program when it happened.
    Talk about a dramatic ending.

Rogue Leader
    I remember the bird incident. It also affected dance. G&G just about ran over it. I'd give Ito through the boards my vote for weirdest moment.

Don't remember the exact competition.... but a hook on Jenny Meno's skate got caught on Todd's pant leg. They held their position as they guesstured to their coach John Nicks. I believe they had to stop and restart.

Also, there was a similar incident in Ice Dance where something on the woman got caught on the man's sleeve - so, they continued skating with his sleeve stretched out for a bit.

Also, rene novotny and partner in their 1st World Pro's . They were having a disastrous performance and skated too close to the boards. Their skate caught the string of lights and tore it out. They restarted their program and ended up winning the competition because they reskated so well. I remember thinking that was totally unfair that they weren't penalized for technical issues that were their fault.

In the void
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang
    Also, there was a similar incident in Ice Dance where something on the woman got caught on the man's sleeve - so, they continued skating with his sleeve stretched out for a bit.
    I think you are referring to Totmianina & Marinin (pairs, not dance) at Worlds 2002.

Rogue Leader
    T&M's sleeve was funny. Dick Button was trying so hard not to laugh, but he didin't suceed very well. I thought it was great that Totmianina didn't miss a beat. She just plucked the sleeve off her skate, and her expression didn't even change throughout the incident.

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesSkateFan
    I think Midori jumping out of the rink could defintely be classified as wacky. Its not everyday you see that.
    Or what about tha competition, I believe it was 03 Lalique, when the bird kept landing on the ice during the mens competiton.
    Any idea where we could catch either of these? I have never seen the video of Midori becoming one with her audience.

Custom Title
    Didn't Laurent Tobel once have to endure a fire alarm going off in the middle of his program in one Grand Prix event?

Custom Title
    GlacierSkater,

You can buy tapes from people in the "Tape Trading Thread". If you want to see Midori's hideous fall just be sure that you get the SP coverage from 91 Worlds. Also, if you don't have it, be sure to get the LP coverage as well. Kristi Yamaguchi gives one of her best performances to win the title. Harding and Kerrigan also skate fairly well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast