skater nicknames and what fans call skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

skater nicknames and what fans call skaters

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I thought the thread was about real nicknames so I didn't bother checking, much less attempting to translate the comments under the OP video. But thanks to your heads-up, now I know they're all derogatory and/or age inappropriate so I can stay away. :agree:

Yeah, I found that too when I translated the long comment about foreign skaters under the girls video (see this post over in Alina's Fan Fest).

And, as I also said in that post, why on Earth are Boikova and Sotskova being compared to ugly Star Wars characters?! (Although, given how quirky Jar Jar is, I suppose Maria could take it as a bit of a compliment).

I have to admit, after reading through the translations, I was starting to regret taking on this project. But, it is interesting to see how Russian fans think of their skaters, even if some of them aren't nice.

As russianfan said above, you can really tell who is respected more.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Zhenya. I may not have spelled that right but that nickname confuses me. I think I have seen it on the boards referring to Plushenko, Medvedeva and Radionova. I would appreciate it if someone could clarify.

"Zhenya" is a nickname in Russian for either Evgeni, or Evgenia. The name translates to English as Eugene, or Eugenie. The soft "G" sound occurs at the beginning in the nickname "Zhenya." Once I realized that last bit, it all made sense to me. I don't know whether Evgeni and Evgenia are pronounced in Russian with hard "G" sound or soft "G" sound, but I'm guessing soft. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Ever since I started following figure skating more intensely, I knew that Zhenya is used for Evgeni and it's female equivalent Evgenia, thanks to people referring to Mr. Plushenko by it. But I could never quite work out how you got "Zhenya" from "Evgeni". That was until I heard Medvedeva say her name during the interview after winning 2017 Worlds.

Medvedeva pronounced her name a bit like the Irish name Eugenia (but with a harder "g" than normal). And it reminded me of how British Eurosport's former commentator for World Superbikes, Jack Burnicle, used to really struggle pronouncing the male equivalent when one of my local riders, Eugene Laverty, moved from the British Championship to the World Championship. Jack was pronouncing it with a sort of a French accent to get "Yoo-zhen" rather than the "Yoo-jeen" it is supposed to be. (Those attempts at writing pronounciations look more like Chinese names! :laugh: )

After hearing Medvedeva say her name, it suddenly hit me. The "Zhenya" is derived from the way Jack was pronouncing "Eugene" ("Yoo-zhen").

Incidentally, for the past year or so, I have been slipping into the habit of thinking of all Eugenes as "Zhenya". And I know that some time I am going to accidentally say it out loud, and it will thoroughly confuse somebody.

See what being a figure skating fan does to you... :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

ioanna

Record Breaker
Yeah, I found that too when I translated the long comment about foreign skaters under the girls video (see this post over in Alina's Fan Fest).

And, as I also said in that post, why on Earth are Boikova and Sotskova being compared to ugly Star Wars characters?! (Although, given how quirky Jar Jar is, I suppose Maria could take it as a bit of a compliment).

I have to admit, after reading through the translations, I was starting to regret taking on this project. But, it is interesting to see how Russian fans think of their skaters, even if some of them aren't nice.

As russianfan said above, you can really tell who is respected more.

CaroLiza_fan

It's a fun thread! I wouldn't have been aware of the derogatory nicknames if the poster whose comment I quoted hadn't pointed them out in an attempt to emphasize their own view of the two skaters they mentioned.

russianfan

Match Penalty
But, it is interesting to see how Russian fans think of their skaters, even if some of them aren't nice.

again, its not like all russian fans calling them like that, in most cases its more like the people who don't like a certain skater and try to make fun of her/him, etc

Fish in the sea

Rinkside
I just want to say that the YouTube user whose videos you have used always makes questionable and provocative videos and shouldn't be trusted.
The most liked comment under the first video says "nonsense".
I feel like half of those nicknames were made up by the person who made the video.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Medvedeva pronounced her name a bit like the Irish name Eugenia (but with a harder "g" than normal). And it reminded me of how British Eurosport's former commentator for World Superbikes, Jack Burnicle, used to really struggle pronouncing the male equivalent when one of my local riders, Eugene Laverty, moved from the British Championship to the World Championship. Jack was pronouncing it with a sort of a French accent to get "Yoo-zhen" rather than the "Yoo-jeen" it is supposed to be. (Those attempts at writing pronounciations look more like Chinese names! :laugh: )

CaroLiza_fan

So it's not only in figure skating that the Eurosport commentators like to mangle the name pronunciations?! :laugh2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Personally, and please don't take this the wrong way, CaroLiza_fan, I think the posting of this list is completely and utterly inappropriate.

These aren't nicknames. Nicknames are given in affection, in love, in endearment, in good humour. These are - the best word I can think of for many of them is slurs, insults, demeaning labels. And many of them are about minor children.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Personally, and please don't take this the wrong way, CaroLiza_fan, I think the posting of this list is completely and utterly inappropriate.

These aren't nicknames. Nicknames are given in affection, in love, in endearment, in good humour. These are - the best word I can think of for many of them is slurs, insults, demeaning labels. And many of them are about minor children.

To be honest, I actually agree with you. A lot of the things in the list are insulting. But, since I'm an English speaker, I didn't know that when the offer to translate what was in the videos came through.

When I got the lists, I started re-formatting them straight away. So I didn't actually read the contents until I had finished. And, like you, I didn't like a lot of them. But, I decided to post the lists anyway to let non-Russian speakers know how some Russians were referring to their skaters. And how different it is to how we do it.

All I can say is that thank goodness we are kinder when creating short-hand ways to refer to skaters.

As I said in my first post after getting up this morning, I am actually regretting starting the thread. And I was seriously thinking of asking for the thread to be removed. But, then some members said that they find it very interesting to see what some Russian fans think of their skaters. So, that is why I changed my mind.

As I said at the end of the OP, I would like this thread to become a discussion of skaters' real nicknames. And, so far, that seems to be what is happening.

But, if that changes, I will ask for it's removal.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So it's not only in figure skating that the Eurosport commentators like to mangle the name pronunciations?! :laugh2:

Yep!

It was so funny. Somebody from Geordieland trying to say an Irishman's name with a French accent. And it wasn't just once or twice - he was pronouncing it this way for a good few years. I'm just amazed that nobody corrected him for so long.

Jack is now commentating on the British Championships rather than the World Championships. So, you can imagine what he said the first time he came across Caolan Irwin's name. Yep, "Cow-lan" rather than "Kee-lin". Then, the second time Jack came across Caolan, he didn't even attempt to say it and just asked "could sombody please get in touch and let me know how to say that name?"

You can have some sympathy for commentators from England struggling with names from far away places. But, you would think they would at least be familiar with Irish names, and be able to cope with them better.

CaroLiza_fan

Barb

Record Breaker
Maia and Alex say that they have not nicknames for each other, but you know, like a team we all know them like the Shibsibs or just Shibs :).

Fish in the sea

Rinkside
Not related to the topic, but I made a video on how to pronounce Russian skaters names. I don't make any explanations, just pronounce their names. Seeing a discussion about Evgenia's name in this thread made me finally finish this video that I've been meaning to make since the end of last season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48sk-Vq5jo&feature=youtu.be Hope this video will be helpful to someone. And I hope my voice doesn't sound annoying :slink:

I only included single skaters that are going to be in the spotlight next season.

Barb

Record Breaker
Not related to the topic, but I made a video on how to pronounce Russian skaters names. I don't make any explanations, just pronounce their names. Seeing a discussion about Evgenia's name in this thread made me finally finish this video that I've been meaning to make since the end of last season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48sk-Vq5jo&feature=youtu.be Hope this video will be helpful to someone. And I hope my voice doesn't sound annoying :slink:

I only included single skaters that are going to be in the spotlight next season.

omg, thank you! I love how the name Elena is pronounced

tars

Record Breaker
Why
Med-VE-de-va,
Po-go-RI-la-ya,
Ra-DIO-no-va,
Lip-NITS-ka-ya,
Za-GI-to-va,
TSUR-ska-ya,
Le-O-no-va,
Kons-tan-TI-no-va,
Gu-BA-no-va,
SOT-sko-va,
have all accent on third syllable from the end, but

Tuk-TA-my-she-va,
SOT-ni-ko-va and
FE-dich-ki-na,
have accent on fourth syllable from the end? :think:

Fish in the sea

Rinkside
Why
Med-VE-de-va,
Po-go-RI-la-ya,
Ra-DIO-no-va,
Lip-NITS-ka-ya,
Za-GI-to-va,
TSUR-ska-ya,
Le-O-no-va,
Kons-tan-TI-no-va,
Gu-BA-no-va,
SOT-sko-va,
have all accent on third syllable from the end, but

Tuk-TA-my-she-va,
SOT-ni-ko-va and
FE-dich-ki-na,
have accent on fourth syllable from the end? :think:

It's all depends on the words from which those last names originate. Fedichkina comes from the name Fedya in which the emphasis is on E. Sotnikova comes from the word sotnik which comes from the word sotnya with emphasis on O. Same with Sotskova.
LeOn, RadiOn, KonstantIn are all names with emphasis on these specific letters. I think It's just a coincidence that a lot of Russian female last names have emphasis on the third syllable from the end.

tars

Record Breaker
LeOn, RadiOn, KonstantIn are all names with emphasis on these specific letters. I think It's just a coincidence that a lot of Russian female last names have emphasis on the third syllable from the end.
Thanks! So it means Russian accent is individual for each word? :eek:

PS.
What about "Lip-NITS-ka-ya"?
It originates from word "Lipnik", which accentuates LIP-nik, so why not LIP-nits-ka-ya?

mrrice

Record Breaker

Holy Cow....AWESOME!!!!!!! Your voice is perfect and I love hearing the Russian pronunciation of the skaters names. I bet it gives them a laugh when they hear the US commentators say their names. Thank you!! :thank:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
PS.
What about "Lip-NITS-ka-ya"?
It originates from word "Lipnik", which accentuates LIP-nik, so why not LIP-nits-ka-ya?

It's so interesting you ask this question. Because on YouTube, after Fish in the Sea's video, this one comes up:
https://youtu.be/2vyRqg4j0Ok

Now you can hear at the beginning, the male announcer says Lipnitskaya with the accent on NIts, but immediately following that, the female announcer says it with the accent on LIp. Is it acceptable either way?