Hurricane Ivan | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hurricane Ivan

Figureskates

On the Ice
Latest update indicates that Ivan will make landfall somewhere around the Mississippi/Alabama border early on Thursday with 140 mph winds at the center. Over the next several days the track will probably waiver between Pensacola, Fl and New Orleans, LA so any of those areas should keep and eye peeled and get out if told to do so. I have a feeling that tomorrow will be the day that a pretty good answer can be obtained since the one key player in altering his track will have finally made his move.

.......and though this wasn't enough, Tropical Depression eleven formed east of Guadaloupe in the Antilles. Preliminary analysis and model information that this system could become Jeanne in a day or so and be a minimal hurricane in the central Bahamas by the weekend..........

euterpe

Medalist
A hurricane of any strength could do tremendous damage to New Orleans, which is below sea level. Evacuating the city would be a nightmare.

Figureskates

On the Ice
Hurricane Ivan actually looks a little ragged this morning. I think the thing may be getting a little sick. This could mean that at least it should not intensify much before landfall, unfortunately, it will make landfall with winds of 140 mph. The worst will be felt right on the path and to the east of the track. West of the path the effects will be a little less.

Once Ivan makes landfall between 2 and 6am tomorrow morning on the Alabama/Mississippi border, the steering currents are going to collapse which means Ivan will slow down and meander in the southern Appalachans over the next 3 to 5 days. It's going to rain big time so parts of Mississippi and Alabama are going to get flooded.

Tropical Storm Jeanne is moving towards Puerto Rico and the earliest it would affect the US would be on Tuesday or Wednesday. I will start on thread on her once Ivan gets out of the picture.....and another system is developing near the Cape Verde Islands. I am sure we will be dealing with that one in thw next 10 to 14 days...more long days and nights to come.

Blue Bead

Medalist
Figureskates.....Has there been ever been a year where the hurricanes have occured this closely together? It seems as if there is no end in sight especially for Florida. They just keep coming one right after the other. :(

Figureskates

On the Ice
Actually Ivan shows signs of falling apart. It is about 60 miles south of Mobile Bay and moving to the north-northeast and will probably male landfall in extreme western Fl in about 5 hours.

The worst is over for New orleans,,,they dodged the bullet.

Ivan will head inland and began to weaken into a rianstorm on Thursday and Friday.

I plan to take a couple of days off before starting up with Jeanne at the beginning of the weekend.

You won't find me here on the board, rather at the ice rink....I'm skating tomorrow and Friday!!

heyang

Record Breaker
I read an blurb sometime back in July which predicted higher than usual hurricane activity. Part of the prediction was based upon the lack of hurricanes during the past couple of years. The rest was based upon water temps, etc.

Just read the other day that they are predicting a higher likelihood that Moana Loa on the big Island Hawaii will erupt in the near future. There have been several seismic measurement of earthquakes (about 350) near the volcano which is a precursor for an eruption.

FEMA is going to be working overtime just to handle all the hurricanes.

heyang

Record Breaker
Nightline just started here in NJ and the topic is Hurricane Season.

BTW, I'm worried about my cousin. He went to New Orleans on business. As of yesterday, he was still waiting for a flight. Gotta call his wife when I get done here to find out if he got out.

Even though NO will not be hit directly, it is below sea level and will likely flood. I was there several years ago. On our last day, it rained heavily in the AM and I remember that some of the roads were heavily flooded. Fortunately for me, it stopped raining in time for me to get to the airport.

heyang

Record Breaker
good news - my cousin got out of NO. The company travel agent managed to find a 1st class seat. Due to the evacuation, it took 3 hours instead of 20 minutes to get to the airport. His co-worker was on standby. He just barely made his flight due to all the lines and security - he said he had to run to his gate without his shoes on because he didn't have time to put them back on.