Nicknames for Skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nicknames for Skaters

R

RealtorGal

Re: Nicknames for Skaters

I thought that was the nickname of that gymnast who won Olympic gold a few years back, Alexei Nemov?

D

DORISPULASKI

Imus used to refer to Berezhnaya as "Skate in the Head", brutal, but accurate. I forget what he used to call Sikhuradlidze. But me, I refer to them as "I can't spell it".

Sasha is occasionally referred to as SashaSkater(TM) for reasons that escape me, but it doesn't seem too negative. Just overlong and not too funny or endearing either.
Presumably elsewhere there is a well known Sasha that is not a skater. But why this is Trade Marked, I have no clue.

I have heard people refer to Michelle as the Goddess Kwan,
Scott Hamilton as Skate God for Life (started I think by Kurt Browning).

Todd is sometimes Toad

Tim is sometimes called Quad King

Totmianina and Marinin are referred to around here as
Max and the Bebby. Bebbies are those little wooden people with the round heads and the painted on hair that used to plug into cylindrical holes in Fisher Price toys for very small children (the bus, the barn, the castle, the parking garage, the ferris wheel and so forth).
ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_7ea2cfcb9e92cf2d739ea466af5acdfe/i-1_B.JPG

This isn't the greatest picture of a bebby but it is pretty close. Fisher Prices has replaced Bebbies by 'Little People' who have more detailed features and hair in recent years.

dpp

I

icenut84

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Sasha is occasionally referred to as SashaSkater(TM) for reasons that escape me, but it doesn't seem too negative. Just overlong and not too funny or endearing either. Presumably elsewhere there is a well known Sasha that is not a skater. But why this is Trade Marked, I have no clue.[/quote]

This is something that started on FSU (don't worry, it is used affectionately as she has a lot of fans over there). It came about because of her trademarking some of her moves, e.g. the Sasha Spiral, Sasha Curl, Sasha Skid. Now, anything she does is written as if it is trademarked, e.g. SashaSkater(TM) is her nickname, a fall is a SashaSplat(TM), etc. It's used in a fun way. I've even seen Alexander Abt referred to as manSasha before. :)

B

behrr

"Tuffy" for Christine Hough

"Sleeping Giant" and "Wuss" for Micheal Weiss

A

Allie Katz

Here are some more fun ones:

Todd Eldredge: Turd, Toad, Turdd, The Quadless Wonder, No Quad Todd

Tim Goebel: Timmay, Gaybelle, or my personal favorite: Rim Tim Tim

Mike Weiss: MikePike, Mike Wuss, or just plain Wuss

Brian Joubert: My Young French Sex Toy (Oh, wait, that's my fantasy, not a nickname.)

K

Kasey

HMMMM, Sexei Alexei!

It fits, even if it was originally for Alexei Nemov in gymnastics! :)

Not sure where "Zhenya" comes out of Evgeny...maybe knowing Russian would help.

Have seen "Kool-ik" for Ilia Kulik before....

BTW, even tho it is older, I loved Bowman the Snoman! :)

Kasey

K

Kasey

PS

I think someone also referred to Chris Bowman as "Hans brinker from hell"!! OBVIOUSLY not a flattering one there.

And how could I forget one of my fave skaters! "Jumpin Joe" Sabovcik (initiated by Scott Hamilton I believe)

H

heyang

Re: PS

I believe Frank Carroll gave Bowman the moniker Hans Brinker from Hell. By all accounts, their styles did not work well together.

D

DORISPULASKI

Re Bowman, might have been Toller Cranston who also called him "Every day a car wreck"

dpp

N

nysk8r

The best nickname to come from FSU is Sarah Hughes's nickname: Golden Giraffe :lol: It's too adorable!

A

AY2006

Miki Ando: "Princess" -- because her name means "beautiful princess" and she is also considered the next queen of skating.

I have read some really nasty nicknames for Arakawa and Onda, but I won't post them here.

(Okay, "iron mask" for Arakawa isn't so nasty. But there are worse ones.)

B

Becca27

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Why voidy swan for Shizuka?[/quote]

Because her dress for her Swan Lake SP, is voidy, feathers & gaps & all

G

Goebel fan

Kasey
Jumping Joe is my on of my top favorites too.

P

Princess Leppard 625

In Russia, you have your formal name, Evgeni, then your "pet" name, which is what your friends call you, such as Zhenya (since Evgeni would be Eugene in English, Zhenya is like Gene...I MUCH prefer the Russian version :lol: ), and then you also can have yet another pet name, or nickname, that your family and very close friends might call you, Zheneshka. Anton S called Evgeni "Zheneshka" when he commentated on the Olympics.

Cheers,

Laura :)

R

rgirl181

Idle,
I remember Minga, though I hadn't thought of her in decades! Leave it to Idle to bring back obscure nostalgia. Though Gumby seemed more interested in Pokey than in her. Hmm... Anyway, I think Minga is much better for Sasha than "Gumby Girl."
Rgirl

L

lilicedancer

Beatrisa Liang is Bebe.
Gordeeva and Grinkov are G&G.
Kristi Yamaguchi is sometimes referred to as just Yama.
I know I know more, but I can't think of them right now...

Q

QuadAxel

"Kristi Yamaguchi is sometimes referred to as just Yama."

Don't you mean "Yamahootchie"???

:evil: :) :) :)

L

Lisa

"Yags"

I've checked on Alexei's official website. In the "Profile" section, the official nickname is "Yags". There is a blank before this name, so I suppose they canceled a name he didn't care for. His site (and the profile) has been updated recently, so I think that "Yags" is okay with him.
To Dee: I've heard he doesn't want to be called "Yashka".