Pet Peeves | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pet Peeves

Blue Bead

Medalist
I've got to all-time pet peeves, LOL.

People who park in handicap spaces who don't have any serious medical problems like being dependant on a wheelchair for mobility or heart problems or other situations which makes it permanently difficult for them to access buildings or stores. My husband is in a wheelchair, works a 50 plus hour week in an office building, and invarialbly when he needs to go to doctors, restaurants, shopping,etc. some fool is parked in the handicapped space with no visable sign (window placard or special handicap license plate) that they are allowed to be there.

On a related issue, it bugs me to no end when delivery drivers, service people, taxi drivers and others block the handicap ramp access to public buildings. When I've asked them politely to move their car, the answer is always---I'll just be here for a minute or I'm waiting for someone. At that point, because I need to get my hubby up the ramp, I go into my get-your-butt-away-from-the-handicap-ramp-before-I-report-you-to-the-cops attitude, LOL. They stare back at me with this clueless gaze.

I get absolutely irate when people are cell-phoning as they drive. Their minds are most certainly not on their driving or the surrounding drivers. They change lanes without signaling, slam on their brakes suddenly, tailgait, crawl speedwise in the passing lane, hog the passing lane, I could go on and on, :eek: :laugh:

Kids run amok in restaurants while their parents finish eating.

Kids playing bumper cars with the carts at the laudramat.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
People who know that on Thursday night from 10 until 11pm I will be watching ER and call to gab because "I knew you wouldn't be busy since ER is on." :mad: :mad: :mad:

Parents other GS leaders who turn in registration/event fees late or even show up without registering "You can make room, there's only 12 of us" :eek:

Parents who do not turn their children's fundraiser money in ( not just late NEVER), and get angry when you call to ask when it will be turned in. :( :( :(

People who think that recovering from illness is "like having an extra vacation".

Parents who think that because you are not a parent you know nothing about children.

Married friends with children and relatives who think that because I am not married and don't have children it is ok to come to my home at any time because I don't have anything better to do than entertain them. If I want you here I will invite you.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Here's probably EVERYONE's pet peeve!

When the Olympics are having the skating competitions, all of a sudden every celebrity in the world is a skating expert!!!!! When in fact they or at least most of them couldn't tell a Biellmann from a Charlotte, let alone do them!!!!

Johar

Medalist
1. People who don't flush public restroom toilets. I know dogs who are better house trained than that. FLUSH! I don't want to see what came out of you! :eek:

2. People who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. Many gastro-infections wouldn't happen if more people washed.

3. JERk, the head writer of the show Passions. He must really hate females.

4. Men who lead me on that they're interested in more than a friendship and then suddenly disappear. Don't get my hopes up.

5. Meeting men who don't have a telephone, cell phone or computer for any kind of communication. It sends up red flags to me that they are not quite single.

6. People with dial up modems who won't get a 2nd phone line when they can afford it. Ever try getting ahold of somebody for an emergency only to get a busy signal for six hours?

7. People who tell me I'm selfish because I don't want/have children. So, I don't want children and couldn't afford one anyways. That's my choice.

8. People in my town who think if a guy is 30+ and not married he "must be gay."

9. People who still believe silly Urban Legnds, even after they've been directed to Snopes.com. Deodorant does NOT cause breast cancer! Nobody cooked their insides by going to five tanning boothes in one day! Aaagh!

anya_angie

Final Flight
People who don't think I'm handicapped because I'm independent and mobile AND KNOW WHERE AND WHERE NOT TO USE MY BLOODY CANE. lol.

People who think that just cause I can see a little automatically think I can see everything.

When my family asks ME for directions, or asks ME to look for signs on the road when we're going 60 mph.

People who stare at me and my company when we get into the handicapped (exit) area to rides at amusement parks even though I have a handicapped band on. It doesn't actually bug me personally, but it bothers the people I'm with. People stare and say That's the exit, I'm like DUHHHHH I KNOW.

People who look at me when I'm walking with my cane and pity me. Dude, I'm mobile and independent. Worry about someone who isn't so lucky.

Trying to find someone to go to the opera with me is like trying to find the Atlantic Ocean in the Sahara Desert.

People who don't respect other cultures. I don't care whether they like them or not, but the least they could do is respect them, or at least KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

When my stepdad tries to justify discrimination, prejudice, and racism.

When I try to educate my sister on something, she ignores me. My sister is 33 years old. In 2002 we were having a discussion about the ice dance teams before the competition in the Olympics. I said I was rooting for A&P (of course since she's so stupid I called them "the French") she said "I'm rooting for the Americans, I don't root for COMMUNISTS!" I said "LAST I HEARD FRANCE WAS A REPUBLIC!" Also, since she thinks all Russians are communists, what would that make Tchernyshev?! Not to mention look where our respective teams placed. NA NA NA NA NA!

I get peeved at myself when I talk or type before I think cause sometimes it doesn't have a good effect.

People who think Sarah Hughes is the most flawless skater there ever was LOLOLOLOL.

Okay lol that's it from me... for now lol.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Oh more that REALLY get on my nerves.

When my sister mispronounces things like the movie Chocolat just to piss me off LOL.

When my sister tells me to look at something far away off to the side and I can't see it, she points, and I still can't see it, then she literally GRABS MY HEAD AND TURNS IT AND I STILL CAN'T SEE IT!!!!!

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Tailgaters.
People who say "heighth" when they mean "height". Don't even get me started on "nucular" and "liberry"!
People who refer to their pets as their children. Sorry, if you leave your kid for the weekend with big bowls of food and water, they haul your butt away. (As well they should.)
Apartment-dwellers who know the walls are paper-thin but feel compelled to fight with their S/Os at the top of their lungs.
That's a few. Thanks, I feel much better!
Rant, oops, I mean Rave

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
How the disabled are treated almost deserves it's own thread.

People who treat people with physical disabilities like there is something wrong with their minds.

Asking the person pushing the wheelchair what the person in the wheelchair wants.

Talking baby talk, calling names like sweetie and honey hey it's a wheelchair not a stroller.

Stores (especially boutiques and gift shops it seems) that put displays in the aisles so that a w/c can't get through and when you say anything reply with "I'm so sorry sweetie just tell me what you want and I'll bring it to you". I want to look at EVERYTHING and then decide what I want.

Parking valets and auto repair shops that change the radio station in your car.

When you order take out and upon getting it home find that they have left something out of your order.

When I ask for a sandwich witthout lettuce and it is made with lettuce. Then you remove the lettuce it takes the mayo with it.

When you ask a sales clerk for something and they reply "you don't want that". I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want it.

When someone thinks that by speaking slower and louder to someone who doesn't speak the same language that they will understand what they are saying.

Last edited:

JaneEyre5381

Rinkside
anya_angie said:
People who don't think I'm handicapped because I'm independent and mobile AND KNOW WHERE AND WHERE NOT TO USE MY BLOODY CANE. lol.

People who think that just cause I can see a little automatically think I can see everything.

When my family asks ME for directions, or asks ME to look for signs on the road when we're going 60 mph.

People who stare at me and my company when we get into the handicapped (exit) area to rides at amusement parks even though I have a handicapped band on. It doesn't actually bug me personally, but it bothers the people I'm with. People stare and say That's the exit, I'm like DUHHHHH I KNOW.

People who look at me when I'm walking with my cane and pity me. Dude, I'm mobile and independent. Worry about someone who isn't so lucky.

Trying to find someone to go to the opera with me is like trying to find the Atlantic Ocean in the Sahara Desert.

People who don't respect other cultures. I don't care whether they like them or not, but the least they could do is respect them, or at least KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

When my stepdad tries to justify discrimination, prejudice, and racism.

When I try to educate my sister on something, she ignores me. My sister is 33 years old. In 2002 we were having a discussion about the ice dance teams before the competition in the Olympics. I said I was rooting for A&P (of course since she's so stupid I called them "the French") she said "I'm rooting for the Americans, I don't root for COMMUNISTS!" I said "LAST I HEARD FRANCE WAS A REPUBLIC!" Also, since she thinks all Russians are communists, what would that make Tchernyshev?! Not to mention look where our respective teams placed. NA NA NA NA NA!

I get peeved at myself when I talk or type before I think cause sometimes it doesn't have a good effect.

People who think Sarah Hughes is the most flawless skater there ever was LOLOLOLOL.

Okay lol that's it from me... for now lol.

Well said Ang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to continue here.

People at my college who try to get my attention by shouting "Hey you, blind girl!!!!!!!!!!"

People who ask me "Are you totally blind?" If I were, WHY would I be wearing glasses?

People who kick my cane and think it's funny. It's not a toy, you immature fool.

People who automatically assume that I need Brialle...umm...no...print is fine thank you anyway.

Assumptions that I can't live by myself or go to college because of my partial sight...ugh...no words there.

People who ask me if I'm from Siberia when they learn that I'm Russian...there's more to my country then that you morons!!!....Ugh

People who are ignorant and STILL believe that they know it all. Open your eyes.

People who get all offensive if you don't agree with their religion. Get a life already. God is one, and I'm sure He is not all that happy that you're causing problems in His name.

OK...that's all for now...

Dasha

P.S. I'm sorry if this post sounded so angry. I'm not usually like this... :eek:

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
People who get all offensive if you don't agree with their religion. Get a life already. God is one, and I'm sure He is not all that happy that you're causing problems in His name.

AMEN! I live in backwoods TN in an ultra religious, ultra conservative area. Goodness, they treat me like I am a Communist or something because I have fairly liberal ideals....and the fact that I'm not a Bush supporter really has them convinced I'm on a southbound train to Hades! I was raised Southern Baptist and there were many great aspects about growing up that way, but tolerance or acceptance of any other denomination (let alone an entirely different religion) just wasn't going to happen (and still won't!). It makes my blood boil. I avoid most religious and political discussions with the majority of my family and local friends.

Another pet peeve:
People that refer to those that are Muslims as "Islams" or "A-Rabs".....UGHHHHH!

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Teachers who force their political beliefs on their students. I don't hide mine, but I respect my students' beliefs, and they know I am willing to talk with them without resorting to name calling. ON THE OTHER HAND, the government teacher told the students that "all those French people hate us" and the history teacher told his students that "Robin Hood and his merry men were gay." The fact that these men are also coaches sums it up. If you are teaching to coach, please quit. Go to Texas where they hire people to coach and you don't screw up the kids in the classroom.

Parents who think its my fault Junior is failing. Junior might do better if Junior handed in the occasional assignment. (I teach high school. If you can't deal with personal responsibility, perhaps high school isn't for you, and you should've stayed in middle school another year)

No Child Left Behind. Enough said.

I hate that the Republican party has been hijacked by zealots. I've never been a Republican, but I respect their history. Lincoln was a Republican, for God's sake! But I don't think he'd like the way his party is run today. My father, a lifelong Republican, is voting for Kerry, because he worries that Bush is pushing us to a religious state. And thinks he totally screwed up by not finishing the job in Afghanistan before invading someone who didn't attack us.

Political rant over. Whew. That does feel better! :laugh:

Laura

JOHIO2

Medalist
1000+ killed and 7000+ wounded in Iraq and no end in sight.

The back-door draft.................see below.

My current beef are political leaders who didn't fulfill their military service obligations 30 years ago, who now lie and see that the US doesn't fulfill the contracts they made with current military. Thousands of national guard and reservists are being told they have to put in another 2 years when they should be finished with their enlistments. (my own son, as example) Thousands were told they'd be deployed to Iraq for 365+. Their understanding was one year. They are being told they have to stay longer. (at least one local guard unit just returned after 19 months. Tad longer than the year they were called up for.) Reservists and guard units who came back less than a year ago being sent back. Some of those reservists have spent most of the past decade on active duty. There is very little "weekend" for these warriors. (my son's sargeant)

Think if my son was named "Bush," he could walk away from the military??????

anya_angie

Final Flight
Rosie's gonna be ticked at me, but I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FRUIT Miss "That skating program/costume is too Russian for me!"

People who are like my stepparents and parents, who think that being homosexual (bisexuals included) means they're sick, and should be persecuted. To that I say "IT'S LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL, NOT FOR SOME."

People who think that Iraq is the country that caused 9-11 just cause we're at war with them now.

People who compare the war in Iraq to WWII (By comparing 9-11 to Pearl Harbor, they justify going to war in Iraq.)

People who criticize people for speaking out against their government. I got some reading for them. It's called the BILL OF RIGHTS. People were ALWAYS speaking out against this country even before it was officially formed!

skatepixie

On the Ice
I just happen to prefer-in general at least-American skaters. Alexei and G&G are two exceptions.

Im not going to discuss the political stuff with you, because, honestly, I love you too much to really want to start a "thing" and Im pretty sick feeling right now.

I dont think anything bad about homo and bisexuals though. I feel the same about gay sex as I do about the boy/girl kind. Do what you want as long as both people want to and I dont hear the details.

anya_angie

Final Flight
lol not all of that applies to you sweetie, if you look closely I didn't say your name in the part about sexuality. My stepparents/parents complain about it worse than you. You don't complain at all.

But ice dance being too Russian... That was the last straw. What if an American skater does something that is "too Russian?"

anya_angie

Final Flight
Eh...

Like everyone I told about this said (they are all at least five years older than you) You're not worth getting all upset over. I could say a million things right now in this little "debate" but bottom line is you're just not worth it. And I'm not that ignorant to make that mistake. I make it once in a while, I've made it more than once, never solved anything but it caused hurt feelings. I quit. I quit, I'm through trying, I quit, I'm through.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
OK Granny the peacekeeper says that's all. Let it go. Don't want to let this go too far. Now, take a big breath. Is this really worth your ire? Who are you hurting - oh, yeah, yourself. I'm not talking to just one of you. Anyone of you that are disagreeing. We love you all and it hurts when people start arguing. Each can stick to their own opinion and no one has to agree. OK, feel better now? Well, maybe I do. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

skatepixie

On the Ice
Thank you, Grgranny. *hugs*

And Angie...you know I love ya so its okay. And you dont pick on my being a valley girl...so we're all good.

Ok...

*group hug*