Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship

Custom Title

Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship

Here's the link from Skate Canada spokespeople making it official - Peter Tchernyshev will apply for Canadian citizenship so that he and Shae can compete and represent Canada in the 2006 Winter Olympics.

http://www.canada.com/sports/skating...7-7AA45E051C71

I'm sure the other top Canadian ice dance teams are jumping for joy over this news!

Rogue Leader
    Wow. I can't believe they're really serious. Tehy won't even be able to compete internationally until the 2006 season. I don't think that bodes well for them. Can he get citizenship that fast? he isn't even a resident of this country. I wonder if they'll have to move.

I don't think its even possible for Peter to get his citizenship in time for the '06 Olympics. Its only a year-and-a-half away. I'm not sure what the requriements are for Canadian citizenship, but It doesn't seem like he'd be able to get it that soon.

It looks like Peter is on his way to becoming a one man United Nations .

Custom Title
    So now he's going to jump from US citizen to Canadian. Ok.........

Custom Title

Citzenship

Serves to highlight how ridiculous the citizenship requirements are. Perhaps it will be an inspiration to change...
    Linny

Rogue Leader
    I believe normal Canadian citizenship procedures wouldn't allow him to become Canadian in time. He's not even a landed immigrant yet. I think the whole procedure takes about three years. However, I suppose someone can always intervene on his behalf.

average opinionated skate fan
    Perhaps Victor Kratz could put in a good word at the Immigration and Naturalization Board ( or the Canadian equivilent to it)

Master Procrastinator
    Not being a Canadian citizen myself, I have no idea about the laws, but over on FSU they are saying that it takes only about a year of residency to gain citizenship, which Peter could easily obtain and probably has already started.

Custom Title

Thumbs down

Being an American Patriot,

I consider this a slap in the face to those Americans whom truly value their citizenship in this country......and defend it when need be (aka military)......and do not take it lightly. Obviously, the aforementioned skater does not, as seen by his "actions". As that old saying goes actions speak louder than words.

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. If this was the first time he did it (i.e. switched countries), I'd let it go, but, no, this will be his second time (aka Russia to USA to Canada). What's next! Some people will sell out their country at any cost. JMHO.

Custom Title

Citzenship

He's not "selling out" his country - he's abiding by stupid rules in order to do the thing he loves.
    Linny

Custom Title

Why not Ben?

Anyone have any idea why Ben didn't choose to apply for Canadian citizenship instead of Tanith applying for USA citizenship?
    Linny

Custom Title
    There were lots of good Ice Dance teams in Canada at the time that Ben and Tanith got together, while the US hadn't much beyond Lang/Tchernyshev.

OTOH, maybe Ben didn't want to give up his US citizenship.

According to Canadian citizenship rules, a person has to be a permanent resident of Canada, and have been living in Canada for at least 3 of the 4 years prior to applying for citizenship.

Peter would have to apply for citizenship immediately, and that means that he would have to have lived in Canada since 2001. As Peter was still skating with Naomi in January of 2004 and was not living in Canada up to that time, there is no way that he can meet the residence requirement, at least not for Turin in 2006.

2010 is possible, but then Peter will be 39, and who knows if his body will hold out. He has had physical problems that kept L/T out of at least one GP series.
    Last edited by chuckm; 09-09-2004 at 08:21 AM.

Thumbs down

Frankly, I think it's time to let the younger Canadian ice dancers have their turn at the top and on the World team. They live and train in Canada and it's time they had the opportunity to represent their country. They've earned it. If I were them, I'd be upset if Peter snagged citizenship under these circumstances. Shae-Lynn has had enough glory already. Move on and skate PRO.
    Last edited by RealtorGal; 09-09-2004 at 09:19 AM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast