Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I think dance is still way too subjective for them to succeed at the Olympics. The judges will be making their picks this year without considering Shae and Peter. I think they could have a very nice pro career and should go that route.

Last edited:

dfj

On the Ice
Sk8n Mama said:
As for citizenship, we let everyone and everything in this country, why not Peter?

"Everyone and everything" - your basis for this allegation?

Littlewild1

Rinkside
Linny said:
Anyone have any idea why Ben didn't choose to apply for Canadian citizenship instead of Tanith applying for USA citizenship?
Linny
AFAIK, there were more factors. Ben's parents did not want him to give up his US citizenship, and since they train in the US, it would have been difficult to have Ben live in Canada and commute to the US for training so he could meet the residency requirements...something like that.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
We need some top talent here in Canada for the Olympics, so I would imagine Skate Canada will be able to approach Immigration Canada with a "special" case! That is great. Not as much red tape here to become a Canuck as the States to become a Yank. - especially when needed.

Sk8n Mama said:
I think dance is still way too subjective for them to succeed at the Olympics. The judges will be making their picks this year without considering Shae and Peter. I thinkt hey could have a very nice pro career and should go that route. As for citizenship, we let everyone and everything in this country, why not Peter? I'd rather he get citizenship than people who affiliate themselves with al-Qaeda and Columbians who lie and get refugee status!

I agree. I don't understand the judging of ice dancing as it is, but I am cynical enough to believe the podium has already been selected.

As for immigrating to the USA, I do believe it is a question of money. Money always talks.

Peter, for me, is obviously not interested in going back to Russia, so he has his options.

As for al-Quaeda and Colombians, that is an odd coupling. Al Quaeda is a world wide group, and Colombia is a sovereign State. Picking out a sovereign State and adding that its inhabitants lie and get refugee status is plain bias and, please avoid that kind of accusation on Golden Skate.

Joe

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I, for one, think that if they would be better off for skating for this or that country, more power to them. I certainly would hold no grudge with anyone that wants to skate for whatever country.

ladybug

On the Ice
Canada loves and appreciates figure skating so I wouldn't be surprised that the powers that be can pull a few strings so they could go to the Olympics in 2006.

Canada loves Shae so I am sure they will make it to the Olympics but I doubt they will be able to pull it together so quickly. Especially in ice dance which is still very political - like it or not. Now in 2010, it could be a very different story however their age will be a huge factor.

Shae stuck around for Victor when he didn't want to go professional and Peter gave up his country for Lang. I think they were both dumped on, which is very sad. I would love to see their ex-partners faces if they could win an OGM.

Peter is a Russian, turned US citizen and applying for Canadian citizenship and both he and Shae work and train in the US along with their Russian coach who also works in the US. What a tangled web that is.

I wish them much happiness and success in whatever direction they follow.

Ladybug

skatepixie

On the Ice
I for one agree with Nadine. If he didnt value America, why is he even here in the first place? Personally, the country you represent should be a matter of pride to you. Tanith, for example, says she cant wait til she can call herself an American and that means a lot to her. Somehow, I think Peter is just in all this for medals. Really, I think he needs to go pro and just let that be that.

I don't think Peter likes or dislikes the US or Canada, it is that he wants out of Russia!!! And I might add, he does like dance skating and Shae is the best available skater without a partner. Whatever the immigration laws of the US or Canada are, should apply to him as they would for anyone else.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would not assume that Peter T wanted out of Russia. Rather I see the matter as such that he had to apply some other citizenship because of circumstances (his work = Naomi needed him as a partner). Also he needed a skating partner and first found one in USA and now another one from Canada.

Canadian ice dancers seem to have been on place 8, 11 and 23 in 2004 Worlds. Shae-Lynn B with Peter T appear to be needed...

Marjaana

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Rocca/Sur

Renee and Gorsha had a terrific pro career without first achieveing stature in the eligible ranks. Where are they now, and could Shae and Peter be taking up where they left off?
Linny

euterpe

Medalist
I agree that with ice dance judging the way it is, Shae and Peter will not zoom directly to the top of the heap.

First of all, neither of them has competed internationally since March of 2003. Second, they are a new team, and for a while, they will be in adaptation mode, as they have different styles.

Other ice dancers as experienced as they are have changed partners over a span of years, and inevitably, each new pairing meant a temporary setback in their Worlds results. If you look up Tatiana Navka from 1993 through 2004, you will see what I mean. She has had three different partners, and each time she changed partners, the team basically had to start from scratch. Navka started skating with Kostomarov in 1999, took a year off to have her baby, then resumed skating in 2001. It took them 4 years to make the podium, and they had the advantage of being one of the top two Russian teams.

Jaana said:
I would not assume that Peter T wanted out of Russia. Rather I see the matter as such that he had to apply some other citizenship because of circumstances (his work = Naomi needed him as a partner). Also he needed a skating partner and first found one in USA and now another one from Canada.
Marjaana
I believe Peter said, he was searching for a partner in America and Naomi who was a singles skater at the time, caught his eye and that's how they became partners in dance. She was not looking to dance.

My suspicion that he does not want to live in Russia is just that the Russian dancers are in abundance so why go to the US in the first place? But if Peter came to the US for work purposes other than for skating, then that would be a valid reason for being in America. What kind of work does he do?

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
skatepixie said:
Tanith, for example, says she cant wait til she can call herself an American and that means a lot to her.
Sorry for being skeptical. Peter said the same thing. Of the immigrants in the skating community, the only one that comes to mind who, I think, is truly a proud American is Igor Shpilband. Most other do it, at least to an extent, for their careers.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I believe Peter said, he was searching for a partner in America and Naomi who was a singles skater at the time, caught his eye and that's how they became partners in dance. She was not looking to dance.

Naomi was already a dancer when she teamed up with Peter.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/lang-tchernyshev/naomi&peter.html

Naomi wished to learn how to skate after attending an Ice Capades show, and began taking group lessons at the age of eight. Drawing inspiration from her background in ballet, she started ice dancing at the age of twelve. Together with her first partner John Lee, she achieved the 1995 U.S. Novice dance title and a 1996 Junior silver medal. Igor Shpilband and Liz Coates coached Lang & Lee at the Detroit Skating Club before their partnership dissolved in 1996.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Everyone and everything" - your basis for this allegation?

It was just in the news that Canada gave members of the Columbian drug cartel refugee status. They lied on their applications and it wasn't checked out thoroughly enough. How about those people in Toronto where the 12-yr-old son was brought back to Canada for medical care after he was injured fighting for Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan? The family all have Canadian citizenship. I'm just saying, if we let people like that in, then why not Peter? I probably shouldn't have put it the way I did but everyone knows our immigration policies are very liberal.

thvudragon

On the Ice
I don't see why people can't believe that Peter can value his US citizenship while at the same time value Canadian citizenship. The US, afterall, did provide him with many opportunities. I don't see what's so wrong with having multiple citizenships.

TV

mpal2

Final Flight
I wasn't aware that he could keep the US citizenship. I thought he had to choose one or the other :confused:

skatepixie

On the Ice
If the Canadian government gives him secondary citizenship, he can have both. This is called "dual" citizenship. A friend of my grandma's has citizenship in both the USA and Italy.

pennyfromheaven

On the Ice
Well I think it is a bit ridiculous for them to try to compete as amateurs at this point in time. Pros yes, I could see that, just doing shows, but not trying to go to Turin in 2006. If that is what Peter wants then he should just have stayed with Naomi and represented the US. After all they had been together how long? 8 years? That's gotta be worth something.