Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship | Golden Skate

Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I'm sure the other top Canadian ice dance teams are jumping for joy over this news! :laugh: :eek: :rolleye:

Antilles

Medalist
Wow. I can't believe they're really serious. Tehy won't even be able to compete internationally until the 2006 season. I don't think that bodes well for them. Can he get citizenship that fast? he isn't even a resident of this country. I wonder if they'll have to move.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I don't think its even possible for Peter to get his citizenship in time for the '06 Olympics. Its only a year-and-a-half away. I'm not sure what the requriements are for Canadian citizenship, but It doesn't seem like he'd be able to get it that soon.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
It looks like Peter is on his way to becoming a one man United Nations :rolleye: .

Linny

Final Flight
Citzenship

Serves to highlight how ridiculous the citizenship requirements are. Perhaps it will be an inspiration to change...
Linny

Antilles

Medalist
I believe normal Canadian citizenship procedures wouldn't allow him to become Canadian in time. He's not even a landed immigrant yet. I think the whole procedure takes about three years. However, I suppose someone can always intervene on his behalf.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Perhaps Victor Kratz could put in a good word at the Immigration and Naturalization Board ( or the Canadian equivilent to it) :rolleye:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Not being a Canadian citizen myself, I have no idea about the laws, but over on FSU they are saying that it takes only about a year of residency to gain citizenship, which Peter could easily obtain and probably has already started.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Being an American Patriot,

I consider this a slap in the face to those Americans whom truly value their citizenship in this country......and defend it when need be (aka military)......and do not take it lightly. Obviously, the aforementioned skater does not, as seen by his "actions". As that old saying goes actions speak louder than words.

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. If this was the first time he did it (i.e. switched countries), I'd let it go, but, no, this will be his second time (aka Russia to USA to Canada). What's next! Some people will sell out their country at any cost. JMHO.

Linny

Final Flight
Citzenship

He's not "selling out" his country - he's abiding by stupid rules in order to do the thing he loves.
Linny

Linny

Final Flight
Why not Ben?

Anyone have any idea why Ben didn't choose to apply for Canadian citizenship instead of Tanith applying for USA citizenship?
Linny

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There were lots of good Ice Dance teams in Canada at the time that Ben and Tanith got together, while the US hadn't much beyond Lang/Tchernyshev.

OTOH, maybe Ben didn't want to give up his US citizenship.

According to Canadian citizenship rules, a person has to be a permanent resident of Canada, and have been living in Canada for at least 3 of the 4 years prior to applying for citizenship.

Peter would have to apply for citizenship immediately, and that means that he would have to have lived in Canada since 2001. As Peter was still skating with Naomi in January of 2004 and was not living in Canada up to that time, there is no way that he can meet the residence requirement, at least not for Turin in 2006.

2010 is possible, but then Peter will be 39, and who knows if his body will hold out. He has had physical problems that kept L/T out of at least one GP series.

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Frankly, I think it's time to let the younger Canadian ice dancers have their turn at the top and on the World team. They live and train in Canada and it's time they had the opportunity to represent their country. They've earned it. If I were them, I'd be upset if Peter snagged citizenship under these circumstances. Shae-Lynn has had enough glory already. Move on and skate PRO.

Last edited:

nysk8r

Rinkside
While I do wish them luck in acheiving success, one thing confuses me. If my memory serves me well, wasn't Shae the one who wanted to retire and Victor the one who wanted to still compete? I thought I heard something like that during Worlds 2003, but maybe the story has changed.

Blue Bead

Medalist
I was wondering about that as well. Somewhere I recall reading that it was Shae who wanted to opt out on competition; I wish I could remember where I read that in a publication, LOL. I suppose we'll probably never know the real truth on any of that, LOL, but it is interesting that she'd switch back to competition.

What is the likelyhood that she and Peter can get settled with each other as ice dance partners and medal at World's 2006? That's assuming Peter could get a Canadian citizenship fairly quickly. Has any other ice dance team done that? I thought it took several years to develop a team enough to medal. Am I wrong?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
All this means is that the citizenship requirement for Olympics is outdated. The rule should be as it is for other ISU events -- residency; perhaps also citizenship for one of the partners.

As for younger teams getting their chance -- all they have to do is outskate Shae Lynn and Peter, and they should have no problem at all.

euterpe

Medalist
Ptichka said:
All this means is that the citizenship requirement for Olympics is outdated. The rule should be as it is for other ISU events -- residency; perhaps also citizenship for one of the partners.

As for younger teams getting their chance -- all they have to do is outskate Shae Lynn and Peter, and they should have no problem at all.

I don't think the citizenship requirement is outdated at all. I think it's a necessity. The monetary value of an OGM is significant in terms of endorsements and lifelong opportunities. What would stop companies and/or countries from offering athletes big $$ to perform as an individual or part of a team? We're already seeing track and field athletes changing countries at will.

As for younger teams vs. Shae and Peter, Shae is 28 and Peter 33, ages when most figure skaters are preparing to retire from eligible skating, because injuries become more and more debilitating. Shae and Peter may win the titles, keeping other teams from obtaining World competition experience, yet at times be unable to skate to their best due to one injury or another.

chania36

On the Ice
I do believe that they can win major titles, yes it does takes many years to develop an international team but those two have the experience already and all that they need, they only changed partner, look what happened with Sale and Pelletier in pairs, he was unknown, she was doing pairs before and even went to the 94 olympics in pairs and then they did pair Sale and Pelletier and look what they did in the 4 years going into the 2002 olympics, they almost won everything they entered in. The year of the olympic 2002, they won the last 10 competitions they were in. Including the Olympics. So if we think that the 2010 Olympics are in Vancouver, Canada, Shae and Peter can very well cause a uge surprise since Shae and Victor opened the door to north americans dancers to win with theirs at worlds in 2003.

Has for the other top team being Dubreuil and Lauzon since Shae and Vik retired, they do not train in Canada, like it was mentionned, they train in France, with the coach that brought Anisina and Pezerat to olympic glory. Her name is Boucher-Zazoui, something like that.

I think and believe that anything that Shae and Peter will do, it will be exceptional and fantastik, eligible or professionnal, I just cant wait to see them skate together, they could not have found better partners since they were left out by their respective partners. Naomi for a baby, which was just born days ago and Victor who wanted to do something else with is life, and he did not want to put has much time in skating. I find unfortunate that he was the one who conviced Shae to stay another year and it was then they won the Gold at Worlds but then he turned his back on her, he could of give in at least a year of his life to be professionals and then cash on their title but no, he took from Shae Lynn what he wanted and then what she wanted did not count, he had what he always wanted, a gold medal at Worlds, and even with that, they've been skating in CSOI for many years and they were so well loved and knowned that they were already wealthy people, so maybe this was ok for Vic, anyway, like someone said, we may never know the whole truth with that story and that duo and sometimes it is better not knowing because everybody has the right to is own private life and privacy.

Either way, both pairs, Bourne and Kraatz and Tchernichev and Lang, I always loved them, so to have both retired at the same time was a shock and so deceptive, but now to have one of each team come back to form a Duo, is just unbelievable and fantastik, just cant wait to see them, we will for sure see them in shows before we see them to compeet again, I sure hope so. If we look at their picture in the October issue of BOI, they do make a stunning couple. They were too with both their respective retired partners.

I just wish them the best and long partnership for them. The united their talent to form a duo to be able to continue on doing what they love best SKATING. So just give them a chance!!!! Citizenship or not