Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship

On the Ice
    Apparently there is another ISU rule on top of that, that a skater who changes countries can only represent the new country a year after beginning residing there.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy
    Apparently there is another ISU rule on top of that, that a skater who changes countries can only represent the new country a year after beginning residing there.
    I guess that means technically residing in Canada, since Bourne/Tchernyshev plan to train in Connecticut full time.

Custom Title
    Is there any way in which they could have dual citizenship? Some countries do that. I don't know about U.S. and Canada. I thought it would be nice if each could have their permanent citizenship in the country where they live and have a special kind of citizenship for their skating. Maybe I'm totally wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by LarasB
    Is there any way in which they could have dual citizenship? Some countries do that. I don't know about U.S. and Canada. I thought it would be nice if each could have their permanent citizenship in the country where they live and have a special kind of citizenship for their skating. Maybe I'm totally wrong about that.
    There was some discussion on that earlier in the thread. Officially, US does not recognize dual citizenship; in fact, when you swear the oath to become the citizen you explicitly swear to forgo any other nationality. In actuality, under normal circumstances noone is going to take away your US citizenship just because you take on another.

Mr. RG has dual citizenship: U.S. and Israel as well as both passports. When he leaves the U.S., he uses the U.S. passport; when he enters Israel, he presents his Israeli passport. The U.S. only allows its citizens to be dual citizens with a few certain countries, Israel being one of them. I threw him a big surprise party when he got his U.S. citizenship. It was so much fun! :D

Custom Title
    PTICHKA

Thanks for letting me know that the subject had already been discussed. There were so many pages on the topic that I skipped a lot of reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    There was some discussion on that earlier in the thread. Officially, US does not recognize dual citizenship; in fact, when you swear the oath to become the citizen you explicitly swear to forgo any other nationality. In actuality, under normal circumstances noone is going to take away your US citizenship just because you take on another.
    In these times, I don't think I would be eager to take a chance. When I was at the University of Bonn (Germany) I was an official employee of the Bundesrepublik and had to sign an oath promising to uphold the German constitution, etc. They made a big deal about allowing foreign faculty and researchers to attach a waiver declaring that "nothing in this document is to be construed as compromising my primary loyalty and responsibilities as a U.S. citizen," or something like that.

I think Israel is a special case, because it is more than just a political entity. It is also the spiritual heart of the Jewish people.

Mathman

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10