Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship

LarasB

Rinkside
PTICHKA

Thanks for letting me know that the subject had already been discussed. There were so many pages on the topic that I skipped a lot of reading.

Ptichka said:
There was some discussion on that earlier in the thread. Officially, US does not recognize dual citizenship; in fact, when you swear the oath to become the citizen you explicitly swear to forgo any other nationality. In actuality, under normal circumstances noone is going to take away your US citizenship just because you take on another.
In these times, I don't think I would be eager to take a chance. When I was at the University of Bonn (Germany) I was an official employee of the Bundesrepublik and had to sign an oath promising to uphold the German constitution, etc. They made a big deal about allowing foreign faculty and researchers to attach a waiver declaring that "nothing in this document is to be construed as compromising my primary loyalty and responsibilities as a U.S. citizen," or something like that.

I think Israel is a special case, because it is more than just a political entity. It is also the spiritual heart of the Jewish people.

Mathman