Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship

On the Ice
    While I do wish them luck in acheiving success, one thing confuses me. If my memory serves me well, wasn't Shae the one who wanted to retire and Victor the one who wanted to still compete? I thought I heard something like that during Worlds 2003, but maybe the story has changed.

Custom Title
    I was wondering about that as well. Somewhere I recall reading that it was Shae who wanted to opt out on competition; I wish I could remember where I read that in a publication, LOL. I suppose we'll probably never know the real truth on any of that, LOL, but it is interesting that she'd switch back to competition.

What is the likelyhood that she and Peter can get settled with each other as ice dance partners and medal at World's 2006? That's assuming Peter could get a Canadian citizenship fairly quickly. Has any other ice dance team done that? I thought it took several years to develop a team enough to medal. Am I wrong?

All this means is that the citizenship requirement for Olympics is outdated. The rule should be as it is for other ISU events -- residency; perhaps also citizenship for one of the partners.

As for younger teams getting their chance -- all they have to do is outskate Shae Lynn and Peter, and they should have no problem at all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    All this means is that the citizenship requirement for Olympics is outdated. The rule should be as it is for other ISU events -- residency; perhaps also citizenship for one of the partners.

As for younger teams getting their chance -- all they have to do is outskate Shae Lynn and Peter, and they should have no problem at all.
    I don't think the citizenship requirement is outdated at all. I think it's a necessity. The monetary value of an OGM is significant in terms of endorsements and lifelong opportunities. What would stop companies and/or countries from offering athletes big $$ to perform as an individual or part of a team? We're already seeing track and field athletes changing countries at will.

As for younger teams vs. Shae and Peter, Shae is 28 and Peter 33, ages when most figure skaters are preparing to retire from eligible skating, because injuries become more and more debilitating. Shae and Peter may win the titles, keeping other teams from obtaining World competition experience, yet at times be unable to skate to their best due to one injury or another.

Custom Title
    I do believe that they can win major titles, yes it does takes many years to develop an international team but those two have the experience already and all that they need, they only changed partner, look what happened with Sale and Pelletier in pairs, he was unknown, she was doing pairs before and even went to the 94 olympics in pairs and then they did pair Sale and Pelletier and look what they did in the 4 years going into the 2002 olympics, they almost won everything they entered in. The year of the olympic 2002, they won the last 10 competitions they were in. Including the Olympics. So if we think that the 2010 Olympics are in Vancouver, Canada, Shae and Peter can very well cause a uge surprise since Shae and Victor opened the door to north americans dancers to win with theirs at worlds in 2003.

Has for the other top team being Dubreuil and Lauzon since Shae and Vik retired, they do not train in Canada, like it was mentionned, they train in France, with the coach that brought Anisina and Pezerat to olympic glory. Her name is Boucher-Zazoui, something like that.

I think and believe that anything that Shae and Peter will do, it will be exceptional and fantastik, eligible or professionnal, I just cant wait to see them skate together, they could not have found better partners since they were left out by their respective partners. Naomi for a baby, which was just born days ago and Victor who wanted to do something else with is life, and he did not want to put has much time in skating. I find unfortunate that he was the one who conviced Shae to stay another year and it was then they won the Gold at Worlds but then he turned his back on her, he could of give in at least a year of his life to be professionals and then cash on their title but no, he took from Shae Lynn what he wanted and then what she wanted did not count, he had what he always wanted, a gold medal at Worlds, and even with that, they've been skating in CSOI for many years and they were so well loved and knowned that they were already wealthy people, so maybe this was ok for Vic, anyway, like someone said, we may never know the whole truth with that story and that duo and sometimes it is better not knowing because everybody has the right to is own private life and privacy.

Either way, both pairs, Bourne and Kraatz and Tchernichev and Lang, I always loved them, so to have both retired at the same time was a shock and so deceptive, but now to have one of each team come back to form a Duo, is just unbelievable and fantastik, just cant wait to see them, we will for sure see them in shows before we see them to compeet again, I sure hope so. If we look at their picture in the October issue of BOI, they do make a stunning couple. They were too with both their respective retired partners.

I just wish them the best and long partnership for them. The united their talent to form a duo to be able to continue on doing what they love best SKATING. So just give them a chance!!!! Citizenship or not

I think dance is still way too subjective for them to succeed at the Olympics. The judges will be making their picks this year without considering Shae and Peter. I think they could have a very nice pro career and should go that route.
    Last edited by Sk8n Mama; 09-10-2004 at 10:50 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama
    As for citizenship, we let everyone and everything in this country, why not Peter?
    "Everyone and everything" - your basis for this allegation?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    Anyone have any idea why Ben didn't choose to apply for Canadian citizenship instead of Tanith applying for USA citizenship?
    Linny
    AFAIK, there were more factors. Ben's parents did not want him to give up his US citizenship, and since they train in the US, it would have been difficult to have Ben live in Canada and commute to the US for training so he could meet the residency requirements...something like that.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    We need some top talent here in Canada for the Olympics, so I would imagine Skate Canada will be able to approach Immigration Canada with a "special" case! That is great. Not as much red tape here to become a Canuck as the States to become a Yank. - especially when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama
    I think dance is still way too subjective for them to succeed at the Olympics. The judges will be making their picks this year without considering Shae and Peter. I thinkt hey could have a very nice pro career and should go that route. As for citizenship, we let everyone and everything in this country, why not Peter? I'd rather he get citizenship than people who affiliate themselves with al-Qaeda and Columbians who lie and get refugee status!
    I agree. I don't understand the judging of ice dancing as it is, but I am cynical enough to believe the podium has already been selected.

As for immigrating to the USA, I do believe it is a question of money. Money always talks.

Peter, for me, is obviously not interested in going back to Russia, so he has his options.

As for al-Quaeda and Colombians, that is an odd coupling. Al Quaeda is a world wide group, and Colombia is a sovereign State. Picking out a sovereign State and adding that its inhabitants lie and get refugee status is plain bias and, please avoid that kind of accusation on Golden Skate.

Joe

I, for one, think that if they would be better off for skating for this or that country, more power to them. I certainly would hold no grudge with anyone that wants to skate for whatever country.

Custom Title
    Canada loves and appreciates figure skating so I wouldn't be surprised that the powers that be can pull a few strings so they could go to the Olympics in 2006.

Canada loves Shae so I am sure they will make it to the Olympics but I doubt they will be able to pull it together so quickly. Especially in ice dance which is still very political - like it or not. Now in 2010, it could be a very different story however their age will be a huge factor.

Shae stuck around for Victor when he didn't want to go professional and Peter gave up his country for Lang. I think they were both dumped on, which is very sad. I would love to see their ex-partners faces if they could win an OGM.

Peter is a Russian, turned US citizen and applying for Canadian citizenship and both he and Shae work and train in the US along with their Russian coach who also works in the US. What a tangled web that is.

I wish them much happiness and success in whatever direction they follow.

Ladybug

Skating Soprano
    I for one agree with Nadine. If he didnt value America, why is he even here in the first place? Personally, the country you represent should be a matter of pride to you. Tanith, for example, says she cant wait til she can call herself an American and that means a lot to her. Somehow, I think Peter is just in all this for medals. Really, I think he needs to go pro and just let that be that.

I don't think Peter likes or dislikes the US or Canada, it is that he wants out of Russia!!! And I might add, he does like dance skating and Shae is the best available skater without a partner. Whatever the immigration laws of the US or Canada are, should apply to him as they would for anyone else.

Joe

Custom Title
    I would not assume that Peter T wanted out of Russia. Rather I see the matter as such that he had to apply some other citizenship because of circumstances (his work = Naomi needed him as a partner). Also he needed a skating partner and first found one in USA and now another one from Canada.

Canadian ice dancers seem to have been on place 8, 11 and 23 in 2004 Worlds. Shae-Lynn B with Peter T appear to be needed...

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-10-2004 at 07:07 AM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast