Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship

Custom Title

Rocca/Sur

Renee and Gorsha had a terrific pro career without first achieveing stature in the eligible ranks. Where are they now, and could Shae and Peter be taking up where they left off?
    Linny

Custom Title
    I agree that with ice dance judging the way it is, Shae and Peter will not zoom directly to the top of the heap.

First of all, neither of them has competed internationally since March of 2003. Second, they are a new team, and for a while, they will be in adaptation mode, as they have different styles.

Other ice dancers as experienced as they are have changed partners over a span of years, and inevitably, each new pairing meant a temporary setback in their Worlds results. If you look up Tatiana Navka from 1993 through 2004, you will see what I mean. She has had three different partners, and each time she changed partners, the team basically had to start from scratch. Navka started skating with Kostomarov in 1999, took a year off to have her baby, then resumed skating in 2001. It took them 4 years to make the podium, and they had the advantage of being one of the top two Russian teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    I would not assume that Peter T wanted out of Russia. Rather I see the matter as such that he had to apply some other citizenship because of circumstances (his work = Naomi needed him as a partner). Also he needed a skating partner and first found one in USA and now another one from Canada.
    Marjaana
    I believe Peter said, he was searching for a partner in America and Naomi who was a singles skater at the time, caught his eye and that's how they became partners in dance. She was not looking to dance.

My suspicion that he does not want to live in Russia is just that the Russian dancers are in abundance so why go to the US in the first place? But if Peter came to the US for work purposes other than for skating, then that would be a valid reason for being in America. What kind of work does he do?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by skatepixie
    Tanith, for example, says she cant wait til she can call herself an American and that means a lot to her.
    Sorry for being skeptical. Peter said the same thing. Of the immigrants in the skating community, the only one that comes to mind who, I think, is truly a proud American is Igor Shpilband. Most other do it, at least to an extent, for their careers.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I believe Peter said, he was searching for a partner in America and Naomi who was a singles skater at the time, caught his eye and that's how they became partners in dance. She was not looking to dance.
    Naomi was already a dancer when she teamed up with Peter.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/l...omi&peter.html

Naomi wished to learn how to skate after attending an Ice Capades show, and began taking group lessons at the age of eight. Drawing inspiration from her background in ballet, she started ice dancing at the age of twelve. Together with her first partner John Lee, she achieved the 1995 U.S. Novice dance title and a 1996 Junior silver medal. Igor Shpilband and Liz Coates coached Lang & Lee at the Detroit Skating Club before their partnership dissolved in 1996.

Everyone and everything" - your basis for this allegation?
    It was just in the news that Canada gave members of the Columbian drug cartel refugee status. They lied on their applications and it wasn't checked out thoroughly enough. How about those people in Toronto where the 12-yr-old son was brought back to Canada for medical care after he was injured fighting for Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan? The family all have Canadian citizenship. I'm just saying, if we let people like that in, then why not Peter? I probably shouldn't have put it the way I did but everyone knows our immigration policies are very liberal.

Procrastinating b/c of Worlds
    In the 8th Circle of Hell with Jamie Salé.
    I don't see why people can't believe that Peter can value his US citizenship while at the same time value Canadian citizenship. The US, afterall, did provide him with many opportunities. I don't see what's so wrong with having multiple citizenships.

TV

Custom Title
    I wasn't aware that he could keep the US citizenship. I thought he had to choose one or the other

Skating Soprano
    If the Canadian government gives him secondary citizenship, he can have both. This is called "dual" citizenship. A friend of my grandma's has citizenship in both the USA and Italy.

Well I think it is a bit ridiculous for them to try to compete as amateurs at this point in time. Pros yes, I could see that, just doing shows, but not trying to go to Turin in 2006. If that is what Peter wants then he should just have stayed with Naomi and represented the US. After all they had been together how long? 8 years? That's gotta be worth something.

Procrastinating b/c of Worlds
    In the 8th Circle of Hell with Jamie Salé.
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyfromheaven
    Well I think it is a bit ridiculous for them to try to compete as amateurs at this point in time. Pros yes, I could see that, just doing shows, but not trying to go to Turin in 2006. If that is what Peter wants then he should just have stayed with Naomi and represented the US. After all they had been together how long? 8 years? That's gotta be worth something.
    It wasn't his decision. Naomi ended the partnership and quit amateur skating.

TV

Thanks for the article, Gkelly. It does say that Naomi was interested in Dance and that Peter went after her.

"After Peter spotted Naomi at the 1996 U.S. Nationals and later found out she was without a partner, he wrote to her expressing his interest in forming a partnership, and they auditioned in Lake Placid, New York." That clears up the matter that he went after her. It was for dance and probably to remain in the US.

It also said he came to America with his former wife, but it does not say anything about work in America. I thought maybe he was the son of a diplomat and that was why he came to America.

It seems to me that Peter did not want to return to Russia and that he was going to skate dance in the US and now Canada. I don't have any problem with this. But as I said before, the immigration laws in any country are there to be followed and he should not be an exception. Look what happened to AP without the visa.

Joe

Custom Title
    Thanks for the article, Gkelly. It does say that Naomi was interested in Dance and that Peter went after her.
    She wasn't just "interested in dance." She was a national medalist at the novice and junior levels with her previous partner.

Custom Title
    It also said he came to America with his former wife, but it does not say anything about work in America. I thought maybe he was the son of a diplomat and that was why he came to America.
    Joe
    Well, LOL, actually I consider skating as a work.

Marjaana

I don't think Peter likes or dislikes the US or Canada, it is that he wants out of Russia!!! And I might add, he does like dance skating and Shae is the best available skater without a partner. Whatever the immigration laws of the US or Canada are, should apply to him as they would for anyone else.

Joe
    He IS out of Russia, has been for a while... having US citizenship does not mean he's in Russia so I can't see that as an excuse...

I also think that both should focus on career... ESPECIALLY since Shae was supposedly broken hearted when Victor "left" their partnership after she went for one more season on the competitive curcuit... It leaves me wondering why she was so upset when she's no willing to compete again. It's not like they couldn't get pro deals with SOI or at least CSOI...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast