Thread: New Thread Ideas

0 Not allowed!

New Thread Ideas

I was thinking about starting two threads that were present during the last Olympics but I wanted to run it by here first since both threads lasted well after the Olympics and were eventually removed or relocated.

Rants Thread: Safe Zone to just go shout something within the guidelines where proper etiquette dictates that you don't reply and bicker about the rants.

Stupid Questions Thread: Obviously where we can ask stupid questions but a good place for newbies to ask silly questions like...what's GOE

I just wanted to see what GS Forum Staff thought and get any feedback.

Thx,
    SmSkwnch

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I was thinking about starting two threads that were present during the last Olympics but I wanted to run it by here first since both threads lasted well after the Olympics and were eventually removed or relocated.

Rants Thread: Safe Zone to just go shout something within the guidelines where proper etiquette dictates that you don't reply and bicker about the rants.

Stupid Questions Thread: Obviously where we can ask stupid questions but a good place for newbies to ask silly questions like...what's GOE

I just wanted to see what GS Forum Staff thought and get any feedback.

Thx,
    SmSkwnch
    Although I am not GS Forum Staff, my two cents:

I would strongly suggest that the second thread be named Stupid Figure Skating Questions.

Random questions unrelated to the sport sometimes were posted in the previous "Stupid Questions" thread -- which diluted the value of the thread, IMO.

Have we had a thread named "FAQ" before?
    Would something like that be useful?? Maybe a specific one named "2018 Olympics FAQ"??

ETA: In case it is not obvious, my idea is for a third thread. Not throwing cold water on Sam's two ideas.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    The Stupid Questions thread still exists. It got renamed to Figure Skating Questions, and it is here:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ting-Questions

1 Not allowed!
    We have FAQ here
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/faq.php

but it might be a good thing to have a thread to discuss them.

Any thread you would like to start, by all means start it.

Do be aware that a Ranting thread, like Politics,is likely to lead to arguments and general unhappiness. You would have to write the OP very carefully to make sure people realize their posts in it must still be within the guidelines in it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    We have FAQ here
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/faq.php

but it might be a good thing to have a thread to discuss them.

Any thread you would like to start, by all means start it. ...
    I should have been more clear. I did not mean a thread for FAQ about the how the GS forum operates.

I mean a thread for frequently asked skating-related questions.

So for example, I was thinking that a thread for "2018 Olympics FAQ" could be useful now (five months before the Games).
    It could have links to the ISU qualification document; to the competition schedule for figure skating; to the ISU document listing numbers of entries earned per country at 2017 Worlds; and the like.

I know that when we are much closer to Feb 2018, the OPs of the Olympic competition threads will have these links.

But these questions already are coming up repeatedly now.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    The Stupid Questions thread still exists. It got renamed to Figure Skating Questions, and it is here:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ting-Questions
    Yes, I'm glad that the old one was renamed a long time ago .

Although the relocated one still exists and theoretically still could be active, I think its relative dormancy is why Sam is suggesting a new one?? Which hopefully would get more traffic??

1 Not allowed!
    Maybe call the new one Little Questions?

3 Not allowed!
    Not exactly a question on a new thread, but I'm wondering if anyone besides me would welcome it if the fanfests were split into three subforums - for active skaters, for juniors/novices, and retired skaters? As more and more skaters and ex-skaters are added to fanfests, I have to admit it's getting harder for me to keep track of new fanfest posts and threads.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by surimi View Post
    Not exactly a question on a new thread, but I'm wondering if anyone besides me would welcome it if the fanfests were split into three subforums - for active skaters, for juniors/novices, and retired skaters? As more and more skaters and ex-skaters are added to fanfests, I have to admit it's getting harder for me to keep track of new fanfest posts and threads.
    There is an index in the Fan Fest section. Yeah, it's hard to find your interested skaters from the general search for new posts as there are so many fan threads these days.