Help With Skates for Beginner-ish Adult | Golden Skate

Help With Skates for Beginner-ish Adult

treblemakerem

On the Ice
So I'm trying to figure out when I will need to get new skates. So I'm currently wearing Riedell 113s and so far they have been great. I started skating a couple years ago but really only skated sporadically, mostly in the winter, and basically taught myself the basics. I recently moved back to my home town which has a year-round rink and I have been skating a lot more. I am planning to start taking group lessons the next time there is a new session. I am hoping someone can give me some insight on how far my skates might last me. So far I can do a couple half jumps and one-foot and two-foot spins. I haven't had any problems with them so far, but I am wondering how much more I will be able to do. I don't want to hurt myself because of my skates or make it hard for myself to do things.

I am 25 years old and about 130 pounds if that helps. I would say I am probably a bit stronger than most beginning adult skaters. I was an Irish dancer for 20 years and was at a high level, competed at worlds several times, so my legs and feet are definitely a lot stronger than average.

Thanks for any help!

dreamsk8

On the Ice
Hi,
I not familiar with riedell 113 skates so I can't really comment on them, but if you are really serious about skating you might want to think about getting a really good pair of skates from professional skate shop that specializes in figure skates. I got my pair of skates when I was 13 and for me it really did make a huge difference to my skating. I still wear those same skates they are great!
Best of Luck!!

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Thanks for the advice. I ended up going and getting fitted at the shop by my rink and tried on a couple different ones. I ended up getting the Riedell 223s and am super happy with them. I feel like a real figure skater now lol. She even gave me a 10% discount for students even though I haven't started lessons yet which was nice. And they came with some extra free stuff like sharpening, a couple free sessions, etc. So it was a bit of money, but I think it will be well worth it in the long run.