Who will make it to the JGP final? | Golden Skate

Who will make it to the JGP final?

The Finn

Record Breaker
So, I think it is about time to start speculating about who might make it to the final.

Here are the current standings.
Men: http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2017/jgpsmen.htm
Ladies: http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2017/jgpsladies.htm
Pairs: http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2017/jgpspairs.htm
Ice dance: http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2017/jgpsdance.htm

Ladies
One would expect that all the three JGP winners of the season; Trusova, Tarakanova and Panenkova, would make it to the final for sure. Some of the silver medalists can make it also, like Kihira or Lim or even Gulyakova, although she hasn't got her 2nd assignment yet. There are also ladies like Young You and Stasya Konstantinova who hasn't skated their 1st event yet. It would be really interesting to see Alena Kostornaya getting an JGP event but I would rather give Gulyakova her 2nd JGP event than Alena her 1st. Unless Alena would be getting Sofia's JGP event(s). In my mind it would be really stupid not to give a 2nd JGP event to a lady who scored above 180 points and placed 2nd at her 1st event.

So, how will this play out? I would say four Russians will make it. Kihira will most likely make it also and then either Lim or You. If some of the top non-Russians doesn't deliver then it wouldn't be out of the question that 5th Russian would make it to the final. And if Nastia G is injured or doesn't deliver and also none of the other three ladies; Stasya, Sofia and Alena, doesn't deliver either then there might be only three Russians at the Final.

Ice dance
Lots of Russian teams will make it this year. There might even be 5 of them; Polishchuk/Vakhnov, Shevchenko/Eremenko, Shpilevaya/Smirnov, Konkina/Yakushev and Skoptsova/Aleshin who hasn't skated their 1st event yet. Carreira/Ponomarenko would be the only non-Russian team at the final.

Russia needs to change some of their assignments because at the moment neither of the Russian event winners; Polishchuk/Vakhnov and Shevchenko/Eremenko, have their 2nd assignments. Also silver medalist Konkina/Yakushev doesn't have their 2nd assignment yet. Russia can give Ushakova/Nekrasov their 1st event but they can't give Kuts/Mikhailov an JGP event.

Pairs
Too early to say much really, other than Panfilova/Rylov and Boikova/Kozlovskii will most likely make it. Panfilova/Rylov doesn't have their 2nd assignment yet but Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin have three assignments, so, Panfilova/Rylov can get one of theirs. I am hoping that Kvartalova/Sviatchenko will make it to the final also but Russian assignments are so weird that it looks like they might not even get 2nd event. I mean how on earth did Akhanteva/Kolesov got an JGP event while it looks like team like Zhuk/Britkov doesn't get any and even Kvartalova/Sviatchenko might not get two events? It will be very interesting to see how Kostiukovich/Ialin will do because they are unknown team yet they currently have 2 assignments.

Men
Event winners will most likely make it. I am sure Erokhov will make it to the final also. Other than that it is anybody's guess.

kalee

On the Ice
Would like to add Kim Ye Lim to the non-Russian contender list, but sadly, it looks like the only way that Ye Lim and Young You can both have 2 JGP's is for them to face each other in JGP7.
Still wondering why the Korean Fed chose to do this, when it means that between them + Rika Kihira + 2 Russians, somebody with JGPF potential is bound to be buried in 5th place in Egna. Have they given up on Ye Lim or are they focusing on Eun Soo and treating it as a good-to-have for one of Ye Lim or You to get into the final?

Ye Lim actually has an easier first JGP as there are 3 potential medalists for 3 podium spots -- Sasha Trusova + Stasya Konstantinova + herself. While gold is almost a wrap for Trusova, silver and bronze are likely a toss-up between Stasya & Ye Lim. Next is Riko Takino, but unless they bomb badly I don't see either of them losing to her.

You, on the other hand, is facing Nastya Tarakanova + Sofia Samodurova + Mako Yamashita. Both Sonya and Mako have consistency on their side and have 180+ scoring potential, so if You makes mistakes she might end up off the podium.

Either way, if both You and Ye Lim get silver, it would still be too late to separate them in order to give both a chance for JGPF and that's a pity.

hanca

Record Breaker
Ladies:
Tarakanova
Trusova
Panenkova
Gulyakova
Kostornaya
Konstantinova

They can't all get into JGPF because not all of them will get a second spot. Russia wasted spot on Feditchkina, there is now 4 events (8 spots left) , from that Tarakanova, Trusova and Panenkova will have second spot, so 5 spots left to be divided between Kostornaya, Konstantinova, Samodurova (each of them needing two spots) and second spot for Guliakova - they are short of two spots.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One sentence on the men, the most interesting and most varied of all the disciplines?:laugh:

So very happy that the men's discipline is not a cakewalk for any one country, and that some programs with real choreo are actually winning medals over "jump a little, skate a little, jump a little more". Because when the jumpers fail, and have no (or even worse, non-comprehensible) choreo, then what do they have?:scratch2:

Looking forward to how the men play out in the next comps.......:biggrin:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Ugh, why did the Fed give Alisa a spot? When it could've gone to someone who had a real chance for the final and needed a second spot...

The Finn

Record Breaker
One sentence on the men, the most interesting and most varied of all the disciplines?:laugh:

I did thought about mentioning that after three JGP competitions Sasha Trusova still has the highest FS TES of any single skaters, including men. After two JGP events her lead was about 4 points but this weekend Sumoto came pretty close. Now her lead is less than 0.4 points. Krasnozhon has the highest SP TES though but even so among TOP 5 there are 3 ladies and only two guys.

Highest SP TES scores so far including both men and ladies.
1. Alexei KRASNOZHON 41.39
2. Daria PANENKOVA 39.70
3. Alexandra TRUSOVA 39.46
4. Roman SAVOSIN 38.93
5. Anastasia TARAKANOVA 38.74
6. Joseph PHAN 38.62

Highest FS TES scores so far including both men and ladies.
1. Alexandra TRUSOVA 75.62
2. Mitsuki SUMOTO 75.26
3. Camden PULKINEN 71.70
4. Egor MURASHOV 70.80
5. Anastasia TARAKANOVA 70.55
6. Alexei KRASNOZHON 69.45
7. Rika KIHIRA 69.39

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did thought about mentioning that after three JGP competitions Sasha Trusova still has the highest FS TES of any single skaters, including men. After two JGP events her lead was about 4 points but this weekend Sumoto came pretty close. Now her lead is less than 0.4 points. Krasnozhon has the highest SP TES though but even so among TOP 5 there are 3 ladies and only two guys.

Highest SP TES scores so far including both men and ladies.
1. Alexei KRASNOZHON 41.39
2. Daria PANENKOVA 39.70
3. Alexandra TRUSOVA 39.46
4. Roman SAVOSIN 38.93
5. Anastasia TARAKANOVA 38.74
6. Joseph PHAN 38.62

Highest FS TES scores so far including both men and ladies.
1. Alexandra TRUSOVA 75.62
2. Mitsuki SUMOTO 75.26
3. Camden PULKINEN 71.70
4. Egor MURASHOV 70.80
5. Anastasia TARAKANOVA 70.55
6. Alexei KRASNOZHON 69.45
7. Rika KIHIRA 69.39

Very interesting stats; you do a lot of legwork:) of course, it shows how mighty girls can be ;) (unless you're one of those coaches I once read about who criticized a male skater by saying a lady could beat him. As though that were something to be ashamed of:unsure:What a horse's patootie that coach was:laugh2:)

But different folks look for different things, and TES is not my thing. I don't follow the ladies and the only junior lady's program I've seen is Emmy Ma's, which I loved for her spins, performance power, and joy in skating. Landing a 3A or a 4S? I'm sure it's impressive, I just don't care so much:noshake:

And I love, for example, how much PCS points Tomoki made up with that beautiful Rohene Ward LP.. Way more impressive to me than triple triple triple triple quad quad quad yawn yawn yawn.

And that's just one reason why in my opinion the men are interesting ;)

russianfan

Match Penalty
(unless you're one of those coaches I once read about who criticized a male skater by saying a lady could beat him. As though that were something to be ashamed of:unsure:What a horse's patootie that coach was:laugh2:)

yeah, really.. it was someone with last name like Plushenko or something like that... just a random noname :biggrin:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yeah, really.. it was someone with last name like Plushenko or something like that... just a random noname :biggrin:

I have no idea, because I found the statement so laughable I immediately forgot it. I don't care if it was a combination of TAT, Plushenko, Mishin and Toller Cranston. Whoever said that as a coach to their skater, is the northbound end of a southbound horse. What a ridiculous way to try to insult or motivate skater, as if "losing" to a girl were bad or insulting. Get a grip. :rofl:

Which is why, although I'm impressed by the gathering of stats about the junior ladies and the junior men, I certainly would never see it as an insult to the men. And I continue to be very interested in the junior men this season.:agree:

starla16

Medalist
http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2017/jgpsdance.htm

currently the three couples with wins have an advantage, any medal on their next event should be enough to go the JGPF for Polishchuk/Vakhnov, Shevchenko/Eremenko, and Carreira/Ponomarenko. Shpilevaya/Smirnov and Konkina/Yakushev both with silver are almost tied, they need to win in their next event or a silver medal to have a chance for the final, Konkina / Yakushev have a slight advantage as Shpilevaya/Smirnov will be competing with the canadians Lajoie/Lagha in their next event. And Skoptcova /Alsehin haven't competed yet.

my prediction 1 american, 1 canadian and 4 russians in JGPF.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
i understand your point.. but, you know, different mentalities and stuff like that

Plushenko recently http://fs-gossips.com/evgeni-plushenko-in-womens-skating-we-are-ahead-of-the-whole-planet/

"Now, when you see how an eighteen-year-old boy is outskated by a fourteen-year-old girl … it’s just ridiculous. The boys are very weak, I saw a few who seems promising, but it’s not clear how they will work. In fact, girls jump and they are not afraid, but guys need their diapers being changed. Girls are just fire. The first six of our juniors is the top of Europe at the moment."

And I deeply agree with him or with "a combination of TAT, Plushenko, Mishin and Toller Cranston" if they said. Just ridiculous....