Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Height on jumps

Tripping on the Podium russianfan's Avatar

7 Not allowed!

Height on jumps

link
    Some guys were trying to count the height and rotation speed of popular skaters jumps. Not sure how correct this info is, but I thought it might be interesting for some people, so I'm gonna leave it here.
    There are also annotations below each table. Let me know what you think about that.
    To translate you can use yandex (https://translate.yandex.ru/translate) just paste the link into the top field

Bona Fide Member

3 Not allowed!
    Very interesting! One thing to keep in mind is that some of these comparisons don't reflect that some of these jumps are only done by the skater as part of a combo, for example Karen's 3S and many skaters' 3T. I'm not surprised to see that Gabby, Polina T and Karen have the biggest jumps in the current field.

Tripping on the Podium russianfan's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Very interesting! One thing to keep in mind is that some of these comparisons don't reflect that some of these jumps are only done by the skater as part of a combo, for example Karen's 3S and many skaters' 3T. I'm not surprised to see that Gabby, Polina T and Karen have the biggest jumps in the current field.
    yes, they specifically noted that in the text

Skating is Art, if you let it be Blades of Passion's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Miyahara's numbers, ooph.

I'm very skeptical about some of the data and the selections they used, however. They stated that for Carolina Kostner, only competitions last season were looked at. Yet, they give a number for her Triple Lutz...she didn't do the Lutz last season. Then for Polina Tsurskaya, they used only her best Long Program and her best Short Program twice.

So basically Tsurskaya was given a "best case scenario" result for her numbers (even specifically skewing it by including a SP twice, where she did a better execution than in her LP) while nobody else was.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Not surprised by Daleman's name so high up in all of the jumps. I actually thought she was the lady with the highest jumps currently.
    As Blades of Passion have said, some of the data seems a bit strange.
    But thanks for the the link! Very interesting, I wish I could speak Russian though LOL

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    I Know miyhara is tiny herself, but I wonder if there's a way to fix her small jumps?

Banned

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Miyahara's numbers, ooph.

I'm very skeptical about some of the data and the selections they used, however. They stated that for Carolina Kostner, only competitions last season were looked at. Yet, they give a number for her Triple Lutz...she didn't do the Lutz last season. Then for Polina Tsurskaya, they used only her best Long Program and her best Short Program twice.

So basically Tsurskaya was given a "best case scenario" result for her numbers (even specifically skewing it by including a SP twice, where she did a better execution than in her LP) while nobody else was.
    lol. it's by far not the best of her jumps. there is a lot of polina's lutzes that are higher than 60 cm.
    people on russian forums are using mishin's method and measuring the height of the jumps since the beggining of times. it's only big news for eteri haters like you that tsurskaya have a highest jumps in the buisness

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Think? Karen and Polina T, are not the first to come to my mind, when I think of the current top BIG jumpers.

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks for sharing. Such brilliant scientific method: judging by eyes on videos lol... come on ISU, please allow some proper measurement. Otherwise, there's so much room for propaganda and distortion. Particularly the 2nd combo factor.

Love the geekdom though... I had thought Anna stats would have been much better. It will be interesting to see how distance would rank as it is for me is more important as it suggests speed and risk, one of the reasons I have always appreciated Anna and Karen's lutz. at Miyahara, but if we go by the size of person vs size of jumps achieved, Liza (5ft 2) and Karen (5ft) reigns. Compare with Midori who is 4ft9, and Miyahara 4ft 10 1/2 according to their Wiki. How high did Midori used to jump I wonder by this method?

Banned

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OS View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Such brilliant scientific method: judging by eyes on videos lol... come on ISU, please allow some proper measurement. Otherwise, there's so much room for propaganda and distortion. Particularly the 2nd combo factor.

Love the geekdom though... I had thought Anna stats would have been much better. It will be interesting to see how distance would rank as it is for me is more important as it suggests speed and risk, one of the reasons I have always appreciated Anna and Karen's lutz. at Miyahara, but if we go by the size of person vs size of jumps achieved, Liza (5ft 2) and Karen (5ft) reigns. Compare with Midori who is 4ft9, and Miyahara 4ft 10 1/2 according to their Wiki. How high did Midori used to jump I wonder by this method?
    this method works just fine, it was invented by mishin and tested with actual measurment devices. all you need is high quality video to make it work, but even without high framerate videos inaccuracys are not that big (like 6-7 cm for 24 fps)
    best of midori's 3As is up to 70-75 cm. it's crazy high. vast majority of the men are lower than this with their quads.

Skating is Art, if you let it be Blades of Passion's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjb View Post
    lol. it's by far not the best of her jumps.
    Those are her best jumps in competition.

it's only big news for eteri haters like you that tsurskaya have a highest jumps in the buisness
    Nobody is surprised she has some high jumps, but the data is hardly conclusive. Try to contain your prejudice. Her double axel is definitely not the highest being done. Karen Chen's best execution of that jump is higher, as is Mirai Nagasu's.

Banned

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post

Nobody is surprised she has some high jumps, but the data is hardly conclusive. Try to contain your prejudice. Her double axel is definitely not the highest being done. Karen Chen's best execution of that jump is higher, as is Mirai Nagasu's.
    all you saying is just words. can you backup this with some facts? like frame by frame picture of karen chen's 2a. show the actual jump and let's do the measurments then

1 Not allowed!
    Maybe I didn't fully comprehend the translation of the article, but the simple free falling formula the author used doesn't take into account that the axis of rotation in the air is not perfectly vertical hence there's more acceleration in the vertical component than just the 'g'.

2 Not allowed!
    this method works just fine, it was invented by mishin and tested with actual measurment devices. all you need is high quality video to make it work, but even without high framerate videos inaccuracys are not that big (like 6-7 cm for 24 fps)
    best of midori's 3As is up to 70-75 cm. it's crazy high. vast majority of the men are lower than this with their quads.
    Different Camera lenses, Camera angles, Video compressions can all distort visuals, just saying. That the direction of the skater faces/blade vs next skater with subtle variance etc...

Midori does 70 cm omg, that is practically half of her height!!!

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    I don't know if she'll ever put it all together at the same time but.....Angela Wang had HUGE Jumps as a Junior. I am rarely speechless over a Junior skater but, Angela really impressed me when I saw her live. Like a lot skaters she was a tiny young lady but, she had skills...Here's the LP that I saw.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otOyR0UpDV4

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast