Toe-Wally versus Toe-Loop | Golden Skate

Toe-Wally versus Toe-Loop

hereandeverywhere

Spectator
Hi--I posted this question in the wrong forum originally.

Are the Toe-Wally and the Toe-Loop considered 2 separate jumps officially? From what I understand, they both pick with the same foot, but the toe-wally uses an inside edge on the skating foot, and the toe-loop uses and outside edge on the skating foot.

Really, the distinction between these two jumps is very similar to the difference between the flip and the Lutz (each of these jumps pick with the same foot, but use different edges for the skating foot (inside for the flip and outside for the Lutz).

If the flip and Lutz are considered 2 separate jumps, why aren't the toe-wally and the toe-loop? You never hear about a toe-wally anymore--it's like some crazy old aunt that they have locked in the attic.

It seems that if the flip is considered a separate jump from the Lutz, the toe-wally should also be considered a separate jump from the toe-loop. Any comments?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Yes they are two different jumps. The preparations for each jump is different.

With the toe loop you start with a right inside three turn, then reaching back with the left leg you take off with the left toe pick.

The toe walley starts with a left forward outside three turn, step down onto your right foot and then extend the left leg, take off with the left toe pick.

thvudragon

On the Ice
From my understanding, it has to do with the take-off edge like all other jumps.

Toe-loop: Takes off on the Right back outside edge with toe assist from the free foot.
Toe-Walley: Takes of on the Right back inside edge with toe assist from the free foot.

The ISU does not count the two as different jumps. It probably has to do with Zayak. They probably didn't want her to do two toe-loops and two toe-walleys again.

TV

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
the toe walley and the toe loop are similar in degree of difficulty (according to the ISu...though i personally had tons of difficulty with the toe walley), as are the loop and the walley (once again, i find the walley harder)

thisthingcalledlove said:
the toe walley and the toe loop are similar in degree of difficulty (according to the ISu...though i personally had tons of difficulty with the toe walley), as are the loop and the walley (once again, i find the walley harder)

I am surprised that the ISU has the same base points for the loop (toe loop) and the walley (toe wally). The Walley with or without toe is the more difficult jump and that's why we don't see it much anymore.

The Walley can be a beautiful and exciting jump. All you skaters: visualize the back inside edge and jumping into the directgion of that edge and then landing on the same foot but on a back outside edge. Add a quick change from bo to bi and repeat the jump. It's so rhythmical. And can you imagine triples?

Like the toeless lutz, it's not for the squeamish.

Joe