Thread: Dick Button

Hybrid View

Dick Button

Does Dick Button have a offical web site?
    It seems he had put out a book titled "An Edge Is A Lean Of The body: A Memoir of Skating" . It is out of print but I thought that perhaps I could send a email or contact someone through a web site to see if this book is available.

Did you try google or other search systems?

Joe

Tripping on the Podium
    No Mr. Button does not have a web site. And No Mr. Button has not gotten around to writing the book with the title you mentioned. Publishing houses sometimes do this even though the book is still in the works/being written. He had started working with someone on the book but that relationship did not work out. I do hope he will find another assistant soon but his activities besides skating do keep him very very busy. I also think he would be the ideal person to narrate a "History of Mens figure skating" like the one HBO did about Ladies FS.

Thanks treeskater for the info. I hope he gets around to publishing this book.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    I checked on Amazon, and the book has been published, it is just way out of print, and none of the other book dealers that they deal with has copies available, which is weird because I can usually find ANY book I want there. I would keep checking, to see if it shows up.

Good luck!

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by treeskater
    I also think he would be the ideal person to narrate a "History of Mens figure skating" like the one HBO did about Ladies FS.
    Love him or Hate him, he is the one to narrate such a history. He's seen them all and could give vivid accounts of Men's Figure Skating with plenty of annecdotes. Of course, being a twice gold Oly winner, as well as twice gold Euros winner he'll always be special.

Joe

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Love him or Hate him, he is the one to narrate such a history. He's seen them all and could give vivid accounts of Men's Figure Skating with plenty of annecdotes. Of course, being a twice gold Oly winner, as well as twice gold Euros winner he'll always be special.

Joe
    Dick Button is THE VOICE of figure skating, or at least of American figure skating. The guy is brilliant - seven US titles, five World titles, two Olympic gold medals, and the last American to win the European title. He's articulate, passionate, full of ancedotes, and he makes figure skating a wonderful spectator sport for legions of fans and viewers.

I remember the first time I saw him commentate on ABC TV's "Wide World of Sports". Black and white television - 1962 Worlds at Prague. Dick and Jim McKay were the commentators to witness and report Don Jackson's historic first triple lutz. Dick was practically jumping up and down, "He did it!!!!! He landed it!!!!" When he interviewed Don, Dick looked almost as happy as Don.

I also remember his sensitive and emotional reporting at the 1980 Winter Olympics in which Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner were forced to withdraw.
    He said, to paraphrase, "I don't feel bad because they are Americans. I feel sorry because they worked so hard for so many years, and now they were finally at the point where they could show the world how great they are."

Dick really should write a book on the sport. He's been around for so long, and has known so many of the great skaters of the past, present, and future.

Hey, if he needs a ghost writer, I'll volunteer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Hey, if he needs a ghost writer, I'll volunteer!!!
    Seriously. You are a fine writer.

MM

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dlkksk8fan
    Dick Button
    Is old!

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by takura
    Is old!
    So?

Takura, I can't wait until you get old and see how it feels for someone to say something like that. I was born the same year he was!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    Takura, I can't wait until you get old and see how it feels for someone to say something like that. I was born the same year he was!
    Sorry :( ,I was just being a silly billy.

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Another good resource for books is Ebay. If this book has actually been published, you might want to look for it there. There are 2 conflicting posts as to whether is has been or not.

Quote Originally Posted by takura
    Sorry :( ,I was just being a silly billy.
    and please leave out age discrimination in the future. As Wilde would say, "Youth, it is wasted on the young."

Joe