Dick Button | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dick Button

swannanoa54

On the Ice
DJStuCrew said:
Well, I'll certainly concede that you might have a point there. I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of his injuries, or how well he's recovered from them. Still, if it has such an effect on his abilities to do the job he's being asked to do, then it might be time to hang up his mic, or at least take a break until fully recovered. (And I'd sure feel differently about him if I thought it was an injury and not a sense of meanness that was behind his words. Forgive me if I'm skeptical.)

Hey, it's okay to be skeptical. (BTW, I sent you a PM). One thing is for certain-no one "fully recovers" from a brain injury. When you injure the brain, your entire life changes. It can cause personality changes, memory loss, disinhibition, impulse control issues, and so on and so forth.

I've listened to Chris and Simon and I liked them. But I prefer Dick Button. I can say that I can deal without Peggy on some occasions. And Susie Wynne has THE most annoying voice second only to Roslynn. I guess it's just a matter of taste. :)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Travelling spins are something every skater does. It's a matter of how much. Consistency is never 100 per cent. . I will be looking for Weir to travel on his spins consistently to see if you are correct. As you are aware, I am against brandishing skaters because of a perceived consistency, e.g., underrotated jumps. :\
I wasn't trying to imply that Weir travelled on most or all of his spins. I was speaking specifically of Dortmund, where his headless scratch spin travelled and so did Lambiel's. I believe the commentators should point out what is happening in that performance for that specific element, because, in theory at least, that particular execution of the element is what is being judged. If they feel that a skater is overcredited for something that is consistently faulty -- i.e. X always gets full credit for difficult jumps when the landings are dodgy over half the time, that's a summary comment.

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
Well, your gripes with Roz and Susie have to do with high, often female voices, a well known phenomenon among broadcasters. Even other women tend to prefer lower registers. Women can be taught how to pace themselves, modulate their voices and deliver good commentary -- they don't have to be born with husky, Jill Hennesy voices -- but Roz and Peggy are NOT professional broadcasters. They're skaters who have been tossed into the booth and asked to do the job of more qualified professionals. So we get what we're given.

As I mentioned in my reply to your PM, it used to be that they'd bring in an athlete to provide "color commentary." In short, they'd fill-in the gaps with their expertise, while the pro did the play-by-play (and most of the talking). For some unexplained reason, this formula has been discarded where figure skating is concerned. (And in some other professional sports as well.) I have no doubt that Dick Button has a wealth of information and fascinating insights, but he's NOT a trained announcer. I'd be surprised if he records himself and listens to his delivery. Pros do this constantly. Just because he's been doing it for a long time doesn't make him a broadcaster. This also brings me to another point; it's harder to train someone to do things correctly once they've established bad habits doing it incorrectly.

To his credit, Button has a unique, well modulated voice that budding announcers would envy. He also seems to have a formidable vocabulary. But these are just two elements among many that a good announcer needs. (I could say the same of Howard Stern.) Just because somebody has steady hands and a stethoscope doesn't mean they're qualified to do surgery. The bottom line is that I don't think Button has the chops. He can be interesting at times, as well as hysterical and infuriating, but IMHO, he's a hack.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Hey, thanks for your response. It was really interesting. I never knew all that.

Well, I can't abide listening to women with high pitched voices or those "I sound like I'm a little girl" voice either. Ugh! Actually I don't have a problem with Peggy's voice at all. I'm just not into overdosing on syrup.

I think we can agree that we disagree on Dick Button. :laugh:

Linny

Final Flight
chops

Yes, DB has certainly lost a great part of his edge... mightbe not all his "chops" but a lot of them.

Was the broadcast where he wore his old college sweater (5 sizes too small) and sang the theme from "Gigi" before or after the brain injury? That was pretty much the stupidest thing I can ever remembering him do.

He certainly has taught viewers a lot over the years... but it may be time for someone else. Unfortunately, there is no obvious heir apparent. Terry Gannon already seems to know as much as Peggy or Peter. Surely there must be a retiring skater who has the expertise and is also capable of speaking clearly and formultating sentences that make sense? One who does squeak into the mike when they get excited?

I adored Scott's enthusiam few years ago but he had me wanting to throw egg at the TV the last few times. He should definitely stick to other pursuits.

Of the bunch available in the USA broadcasts, I like Suzy best, Peter is a distant second. Once in a great while, we'll Tracey in the USA and she's quite good.

A resounding YES to the poster who wants the commentator to help the viewer understand what they are looking at.

Linny

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
DJStuCrew said:
Well, your gripes with Roz and Susie have to do with high, often female voices, a well known phenomenon among broadcasters.

Funny, but that's one of my complaints about listening to Scott Hamilton. ;) :eek: :D

Eeyora

Final Flight
I have said it before and will say it again. Out of all the commentators Brian Boitano is my favorite. He gives a good analysis and is the most professional.

The question will is if Sandra Bezic isn't commentating in during the 06 Olympics. Who will take her place?

I personally hope it isn't Roz. I liked her skating but her commentating is pretty bad. She is unprofessional

The question is Could it be Sarah? She is inexperienced. However she did have a contract with GE/NBC at one time. Plus it would be interesting to hear her analysis on her competitors.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Terry Gannon knows as much about skating as Peggy or Peter!!???!

WHO are you KIDDING? He may have learned a lot over the years, but there is no way that his knowledge in any way compares to that of people who have had years of experience successfully competing in the sport.

Gannon is at his most annoying when he interrupts the performance of a skater commenting on something in the skater's personal life or trivia about the skater. If we must be subjected to this kind of babble, please do it BEFORE or AFTER the skate.

I just wish he would be quiet and leave commentary to Dick, Peggy or Peter. He is a MINUS.

As for Roz Sumners, the worst thing about her isn't her voice, it's her catty, malicious comments about skaters she doesn't like. She is one of the most unobjective and infuriating commentators I have ever seen. In a recent interview, she blamed the decline of professional skating on Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes; on Tara for quitting SOI and trying to make it as an actress, and Sarah for having the gall to go to college instead of skating with SOI.