Thread: Could a skater....

Custom Title

Question Could a skater....

Do you think a skater could do a cartwheel on ice? I was just wondering.

Tripping on the Podium
    I've done a cartwheel on the ice, but it was scary! With skates on, the ice is a lot farther away than it is when you're in your barefeet on the floor. Also, its a tad slippery on freshly cleaned ice... I waited until the end of a busy session when my gloves would grip the torn up ice. Seems like an easy way to land on your head if you ask me ... I don't think I'd try it again

Cassie

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cborsky
    I've done a cartwheel on the ice, but it was scary! With skates on, the ice is a lot farther away than it is when you're in your barefeet on the floor. Also, its a tad slippery on freshly cleaned ice... I waited until the end of a busy session when my gloves would grip the torn up ice. Seems like an easy way to land on your head if you ask me ... I don't think I'd try it again

Cassie
    My friend said she has done it before and landed on her back,I think it must hurt like crap.

Yes a skater could do a cartwheel on the ice. I've seen Surya Bonaly do a hand spring and I think a cartwheel too. I know I have seen other skates do them but can't think of which ones.

Tripping on the Podium
    I used to do them. When I was 7 or so, I saw one of the older girls at the rink doing them, so I asked her to teach me. When I first started, I wore gloves and scrpaed up the ice where I was going to put my hands so I wouldn't trip. After a while, I was able to do it without scraping up the ice, or even wearing gloves.

I don't know if you can legally put one in a competition program though. I did them in a couple of show programs, and whenever I wanted to show off

They are pretty dangerous, though, and in retrospect, it was probally a pretty stupid thing to try. Nowadays, I only do them when there aren't other skaters nearby on the ice -- I've bladed someone just on a landing, and with a cartwheel, there's a whole lot more limbs flying around.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    They are possible - one of the skaters in Torvill & Dean's Ice Adventures tour did one during one of the numbers. Not sure I'd have the guts to try it myself though! Like someone else mentioned, the difference in height (with skates as opposed to bare feet) would probably freak you out on the way down, lol.

Custom Title
    I've done it. Even last year, at the ripe old age of 46. The trick is to use those gloves with little rubber nubs on them so you don't slip. Which I have also done. I wore regular gloves instead of the little grippy ones and fell on my head, knocking one of the lenses out of my glasses. Funny thing about that, I couldn't find the lens and coincidentally the Zamboni broke down that day. Hmm, maybe it couldn't see where it was going either.
    Maybe the head injury acounts for the fact that I still try them (successfully) from time to time.

Custom Title
    Wow.....I wasn't sure thanks ppl. :D

a lot of "show skaters" can do them... there are different specials on tv with those kind of acrobat-y skaters

Custom Title
    I've seen them done a great deal by skaters who are also gymnasts. You can't put them in a technical programme, of course, but they can enhance an Artistic or Interpretive programme no end. Mind you.....

The scene: an ice rink somewhere in London. The time: Autumn term, a few years ago. Skaters are beginning to work on their artistic routines for the forthcoming competition season. A small girl is preparing a piece as one of the orphans from "Annie".

Coach: "Now, I think it would be a very good idea if you put a forward roll in just there, before you stand up"

Skater, obviously unsure she can do this, but equally obviously not wanting to admit this to Coach: "Er - I'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you show me, do you think?"

Coach, promptly, going rather pink: "Oh well, never mind!"

Me, who was listening to this exchange, smothering laughter.... Coach looks at me with a "Don't you dare give me away" look, so I didn't, but I did tease her later....