Thread: Reasons for Michelle Kwan to Retire

Pookie

Re: Reasons for Michelle Kwan to Retire

Reasons for Michelle Kwan to Retire?

How about death? :D

Pather2000

<em>MAXWELL 1313:

That was hella funny.:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: . I busted out laughing here in my office.

But, here is my 2 cents

I two am very tired of that question. People have the right to ask them But, if they were to take a step back & actually, listen to themselves & try to put their favorite skater in Michelles spot. Would they want their skater tobe forced out. NO. they wouldn't. & The reason for letting other win. Please, Michelle has been a senoir sense the age of 13 & not until she was able to put on a More Mature & CLEAN Skated Programs( which she never had a problem with skating clean back then). Michelle can be beaten like it was stated in this thread But, she will not lay down & shouldn't have to lay down so other skaters & their fans can feel better about themselves.

Michelle was suppose to loose at Nationals, She was the Underdog. She couldn't win. But, What did she do. She came to play. While others thought that they could get buy with Major Mistakes in their programs or whatever.

WORLDS, Samething. She had her Game face on & skated great( LP was better at Nationals). But, you had to skate Beyond great to beat her. 3/3 are nice but when you have nothing to go with it. Well, there you go. She wasn't unbeatable there. But, you had to skate Damn Freaking Great to beat her. Everyone, had their chance. As they do whenever they compete.

A 22 year old should retire, Yeah. Thank god people who think like that don't make laws. Otherwise people maybe forced to retire at the age of 40. So the 20 year olds can make all the money. After all the 40 year olds have been around for a while:rolleyes:

People have to write to ask the question. But, to quote BETTY DAIVS," Fasten your seatbealts it's going to be a bumpy night" or something close to that. </em>

realistic51

Alrighty then!

engrsktr, "young" as on the skating scene young would knock out Irina, Elena Liashenko, Elena Sokolova, Fumie Suguri, Viktoria Volchkova (sp). "young" on the skating scene would knock at Yagudin, Plushenko, Honda, and a few others. What is "young" on the skating scene then? Is it 2-3 years? 4-5 years? Or does it only apply to those who have been around say 9-10 years? You can't have it the way you want it because by the time 2006 rolls around, Sasha will be on the scene for 8 years, Sarah for almost 10, etc. Would you have them stop before the Olympics because they are on the skating scene too long? Hmmmmm...something to think about.:rolleyes:

And, to be quite frank with you, I do think that amateur figure skating will suffer viewership when Michelle Kwan leaves the sport. And if she goes pro, that those shows will pick up in attendance. JMHO, but there are too many fairweather figure skating fans that WON'T watch anymore. But then, basically, figure skating would be back to where it was before Tonya/Nancy. Men's viewership is already heading that direction.

I've watched figure skating since Peggy Fleming won her gold medal. I've always loved figure skating. But lately I've made the decision that when Michelle Kwan stops competing or quits altogether, then I will no longer have the desire to watch this sport. There are no up-and-comers that truly interest me or captivate me the way figure skaters have in the past. Plus the sport has become too jump-oriented for me in the amateur side. So many of these up-and-comers are neglecting basic skating skills for those big jumps, and that just doesn't interest me.

So while I am only one of a million that would tune into something else when Michelle Kwan retires, I still think there will be others as well.

eltamina

off topic

"young" as on the skating scene young would knock out Irina, Elena Liashenko, Elena Sokolova, Fumie Suguri, Viktoria Volchkova
    ________

Off topic please, I just discover, rediscover Fumie. I hope she won't retire, let the jumping queens Miki Ando, Asada sisters beat her consistently before she retires .

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">Congrats Michelle, Elena and Fumie</span>

CB1AB2

===NONE===SHE SHOULD SKATE AS LONG AS SHE WANTS TO.
    CB

crazy4michelle

I think Michelle should retire when Barry Bonds and Jerry Rice retire. When they are no longer putting out the goods. How come nobody says Barry Bonds should retire, so that all the younger kids can hit all the homeruns? What about Jerry Rice, should he step aside so the younger players can catch all the touchdowns? Please.

Reason for Michelle to retire:

When she is good and ready!!

Show 42

Re: To retire or not to retire?

.........."it may be true that michelle is a big draw... but the lack of her presence wouldn't hurt the sport... those true to it would stick around as always... like they were there BEFORE michelle was.... ".......yeah right, wanna bet? 42

GoldElephant

There is no real reason for MK to retire - so why would she.

Ladskater

I thought Elena S. is only about 18 years old. Did I miss something? Besides Elena joked (to Rod Black of CTV) "she will be world champion when Michelle Kwan retires."

Ladskater

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

Elena is 23. This was her first worlds in 5 years.

Ladskater

She looks younger than 23. Judging by the program she skated in the Parade of Champions on Sunday, it looks like she may have the same choreographer Irina S. uses. I hope she gets some better choreography - that program was a bit "over the top" in the drama dept. I didn't care for it. I loved her program in the competition. I look forward to seeing her skate again.

Ladskater

Joesitz

Mathman - How long did Joe Louis last as a boxer? I believe it well past what his body could take. That's not an easy sport.

Joe

kwansong999

engrstr,
    "it may be true that michelle is a big draw... but the lack of her presence wouldn't hurt the sport... those true to it would stick around as always... like they were there BEFORE michelle was.... "

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: I dont know if you were at Worlds or not, but if you were, you should have done the following:

A. Listened to conversations around you when you heard the words "Michelle Kwan" and then looked at the smiles that followed those faces, be it a six year old or a 59 year old.

B. Sat through ANY ladies practice. Whether it was sp or lp. She got the only standing ovations from any skater.

C. Attended the ladies SP. The audience went berserk and was chanting in unison "6!" "6!" It wasnt just a few, but the entire arena.

D. Taken a look around the arena. For every sign/poster/banner for a skater, MK had 6 times that. I should know, i hung some of them up. :rollin:

E. When you were in a DC cab, you should have asked the driver to name any skaters that he knew. I took a few cabs, only one cab driver could name more than 2 eligible skaters, but each named MK.

F. Watched the crowd during the lp. enough said. There wasnt any music during her footwork AT ALL.

G. Talked to some of the skaters that came to DC. Terry Gannon said that even her fellow competitors were in awe of her. Now after worlds we are finding out who they were: Fumie S., Joanne Rochette...

H. Asked many why they even bought the tickets in the first place. You would be surprised at how many only bought it for MK. Ladies LP was almost sold out, 16,116.

I. Found out how many Eva Cassidy fans who dont even like figure skating came just to see Mk's FOG at the MCI center.

J. Just look at her competitors and see the way they skate w/o Michelle around them and with Michelle around them. They know- if she is there they are going to have to skate on fire! MK brings the "competiton" to the competition. Its always more exciting when they have the chance to beat the legend.

Take a look around. Kwan is in a special contract with ABC and USFSA to attend pro-ams because they know her name means money and viewership. period. Example: Skate America 2002 broke all records for most attendance, and this was after the OLY year. When Kwan said she was to compete people loved the fact that she didnt retire and was going to continue.

The country (USA) relates to MK. They have seen her struggle and then pick herself up again, and then stumble, and then rise again. For many, they lost interest from the sport a long time ago but just watched for MK. It makes the USA proud to have someone like that representing them that they could relate to.

You seriously wound have to be in denial to say that MK doesnt draw crowds and that the crowds would stay if MK didnt. I wouldnt be surprised if the networks and the ISU put MK in a contract to stay eleigible till 2006 to keep viewership up!

"skating doesn't lose true fans as a result of their favorite skater leaving... " :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: Just wait till she does. Dont expect to watch all your competitions on ABC!! (but instead on espn once for Nationals and once for Worlds, either w/o the short programs.)

mathman444

Joe: Joe Louis was born in 1914, became a professional fighter in 1934 (age 20) and became world champion in 1937 (age 23).

He fought until 1949 (age 35) with 4 years out to serve in the army (1942-46).

Despite having earned more than $5 million dollars in the ring (and that was back when $5 million dollars was some money :lol: ), he soon found himself broke and had to go back into the ring. In 1950 (age 36) he fought and lost to Ezzard Charles and in 1951 (age 37) he was badly beaten by Rocky Marciano. 36 and 37 was too old for that sport. (Somebody tell Evander Holyfield. :lol: )

Kwansong: *cheers and applause*

But I have to take you to task for one thing:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>A. Listened to conversations around you when you heard the words "Michelle Kwan" and then looked at the smiles that followed those faces, be it a six year old or a 59 year old.[/quote]

So 59 is the oldest possible age a decrepit codger could possibly be? My 59th birthday was last week. You could have said 6 to 96, you know. Which, when I'm 96 I plan still to be around, cheering Michelle (just entering her prime at age 60) on to her 42nd national championship.

Mathman

kwansong999

mathman,
    I just put in any age, im sorry if i offended anyone. Actually if it helps the little child that was talking about Michelle next to me was actually 3 and not 6. I should of said:
    "from 2yrs to 107yrs."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast