JGP Harbin, China | Golden Skate

JGP Harbin, China

Sk8Bunny

Rinkside
JGP China official website

Now the the JGP California has concluded, its on to the next event in the JGP series. Is anyone here attending this competition? **Any predictions???**

I think Trina and Todd have a chance at the gold medal in dance. If they dont win gold, I'd suspect they'd earn silver or bronze easily. I also think Jenna and Grant have a good chance at doing well in pairs. It's too bad all the remaining pairs spots have been filled by the USFS already :sheesh: Cause it'd be really kool if they medaled in China.

GOOD LUCK TEAM USA!!! Go Jenna and Grant!!!

backoutsideedge

Rinkside
I think you are forgetting that Mikhailova and Sergeev and Virtue and Moir are in the competition. Gold for Pratt and Gilles is impossible.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´d love to participate in prediction, but it is impossible as the names of the JGP skaters do not ring any bells to me so far, LOL. As the finals are in Helsinki I got really interested in following reports and results.

Marjaana

Last edited:

ElFuego

Rinkside
As much as I love Pratt/Gilles and think that long term, they're a very good prospect for the USFSA, I don't see them winning this particular competition. Virtue/Moir and Mikhailova/Sergeev have a lot more international experience, and both really strong teams. Bronze is a real possibility, and I think they could put some pressure on the top two, but while I would be thrilled if they could win gold or silver, it's a long shot.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suspect it will be Mikhailova/Sergeev, Virtue/Moir and then maybe Pratt/Gilles. The Russian team was one of the JGP finalists last season ([SIZE=-1]HOFFMANN / ELEK, ROMANOVSKAYA / GRACHEV, MATTHEWS / ZAVOZIN, MIKHAILOVA / SERGEEV, ZADOROZHNIUK / VERBILO, ZARETSKI / ZARETSKI, RUBLEVA / SHEFER, ORLOVA / BOLOTIN[/SIZE]), and along with Matthews/Zavozin and the Zaretskis, are the only top teams from last year competing this year.

When young skaters go to these junior grand prix events, do they have to pay their own way, or does their national federation pay their expenses?

Do they win cash prizes like the seniors?

MM

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US skaters are funded by the USFS according to the envelope in which they're in, so the USFS pays their expenses for competitions. The skaters themselves have to pay for costumes and equipment.

lotusland

On the Ice
I believe this still holds true: the Canadian JGP team (skaters) have their and their coach(es) airfare, hotel, and any associated entry type fees paid. If the competition organizers set up food arrangements, then that is also provided.

The skaters/parents are responsible for any and all additional costs incurred by the skaters/coaches such as: meals not provided by the competition, rental of vehicles, loss of wages (not all coaches charge this), and of course coaching fees for the competition.

Medallists receive $$$, and in the Skate Canada organization, skaters finishing outside the medals but in the top 1/2 of their field receive a little $, to help offset competition costs.

I'm sure someone here can confirm or correct this info?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
JGP prize money is listed on page 6 at:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-151842-169058-62650-0-file,00.pdf

Only the 3 medalists in each discipline get prize money -- 1st place is US$2000 for singles skaters and US$3000 for each pair/dance team.

Coaches' lost wages while attending an international can add up to a hefty amount for the skater to pay (I've heard between $1000-2000/week), particularly for the bigger-name coaches with many students.