Evgeni out of GP? | Golden Skate

Evgeni out of GP?

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
According to secret source (whom I trust, but make your own decision), Evgeni will not do the GP this season, instead, he will do some shows (to make money, I'm guessing they probably pay more than the GP) and will concentrate on Russian Nats, Euros and Worlds.

While I am devastated he won't be at SC, I think this is a good decision. It worked well for Michelle in 2003, and I think it could do wonders for Evgeni to take a break.

Laura :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Let's hope he doesn't catch h*** like Michelle did for missing the GP.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Though I believe the show is less pressure on jumps than GPs. But still there will be some jumps, that will continue put the pressure on his leg. I thought if he wants the OGM at 2006, he should take break and get the surgery.

Vash01

Medalist
I think he will be better off doing two GP's than doing a bunch of shows, as far as skating is concerned. If money is the priority, his decision may be right. Still, all that skating is likely to do damage to his already injured knee. Plus, show programs don't require the technical perfection the way competitions do. So he could be rusty going into the competitions at the end of the season. I think this is a terrible decision.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Although Plushy will be greatly missed in GP, I think it is a good decision for him to do less competitions this season and save himself for the Olympic season.

Marjaana

If he does have a torn medial meniscus then any kind of skating will irritate it. I can't believe it's money he's looking for. He should be the most wealthy sportsman in Russia.

There is money at Campbells and Marshalls and dollars translate quite well into roubles. Does this mean we can expect him in St. Paul?

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
I think he will be better off doing two GP's than doing a bunch of shows, as far as skating is concerned. If money is the priority, his decision may be right. Still, all that skating is likely to do damage to his already injured knee. Plus, show programs don't require the technical perfection the way competitions do. So he could be rusty going into the competitions at the end of the season. I think this is a terrible decision.

Actually at a second thought. If he can't take a complete break to get his knee fixed. Then probably show is a better choice than GPs. 1) it is less technique demanded, no quad (the most damaging jump to the knee) needed in show program. 2) avoid the chance beaten by his competitors at earlier on season. thus Judge would still give him benefit of doubt in the big (Euro, Worlds) comps. It's comman in FS an almost 'untouchable' skater once being beaten by several skaters several times. Judges will not hold you up any more.

Sorry Jaana - It was not clear that he definitely would NOT skate Campbells. I read it as doubtful but not conclusive.

BTW, any further news about the knee?

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
If he does have a torn medial meniscus then any kind of skating will irritate it. I can't believe it's money he's looking for. He should be the most wealthy sportsman in Russia.
Richer than the tennis players? I think not!

soogar

Record Breaker
You want to see the wealthiest sportsman in Russia, you should check out Yevgeny Kafelnikov's profile.
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playersearch=Kafelnikov,+Yevgeny

That 23 million is just prize money, don't forget about clothing endorsements and racket endorsements as well as appearance fees.
Is he single?

Anyway , back to our Yevgeny: if he skips the GP, I think it's the best thing he can do. I always felt that he skated too many GP events which would lead to injury. Now he can just do his show and rest up for the big events. BTW, is he going to have the knee surgery?

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Okay, I am seriously going to kill my sekret source. First report is he's out of GP. NOW it's he's out of Campbell's, but will do the GP. There is still the question mark of his confirmed appearance at Art on Ice that directly conflicts with NHK, one of his scoring events.

So I have absolutely no idea what was going on, and that's the last time I'll post speculation.

Laura :)

soogar said:
Anyway , back to our Yevgeny: if he skips the GP, I think it's the best thing he can do. I always felt that he skated too many GP events which would lead to injury. Now he can just do his show and rest up for the big events. BTW, is he going to have the knee surgery?

And to think two years ago there were so many posts condemning Michelle for skipping the GPs. Times change, don't they?

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Laura, I love you but I hope your sources are wrong. I really, really want to see him at SC. I know you do too.

Dee

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
Richer than the tennis players? I think not!

Don't forget the hockey players who can make up to 10 mil a year (Bure, Kovalev, Fedorov just to name a few) plus all the bonuses and paid commercials.

I also bet Khorkina is not poor either!

Yana

soogar

Record Breaker
Regarding MK:
Honestly, MK never really skated GP events to win them like Yevgeny does , so even when she competes in them it's almost like she's never there. Yevgeny on the other hand, as did Alexei, goes full out on GP events like they are Worlds so I can see more of a risk for injury. Actually, Alexei probably hurt his chances in Nagano by skating so many GP events and having his best skate at Cup of Russia that he was burnt out at the Olympics.

soogar said:
Regarding MK:
Honestly, MK never really skated GP events to win them like Yevgeny does , so even when she competes in them it's almost like she's never there. Yevgeny on the other hand, as did Alexei, goes full out on GP events like they are Worlds so I can see more of a risk for injury. Actually, Alexei probably hurt his chances in Nagano by skating so many GP events and having his best skate at Cup of Russia that he was burnt out at the Olympics.

So what do you think, Soogar - MK was put down quite a bit on the pages of GS for not skating the GPs for the past two years, and in your opinion, she never really skated them when she did. I remember well, that season when she skated to Miraculous Mandarin - a new work for the first time! Irina won with her old Carmen routine, but MK's performance was special for skating to a new routine with little practice beforehand.

Now, from what you said about Alexei and Yevgeny you seem to be saying that the GPs lead to burn out. Am I reading a contradiction here? :confused:

Joe