James and Ciprès: “Step by step” | Golden Skate

James and Ciprès: “Step by step”

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted Flett talks with five-time French pair champions, Vanessa James and Morgan Ciprès after their win at the 2017 Autumn Classic International on their music choices, the quad throw, and more.

https://youtu.be/A7Lyke6pE5Q

This team is always so delightful to interview! What are your thoughts on Ted's comment about them being a "dark horse" this season? What do you think of their music choices?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Love these two! I wouldn't even say they're a dark horse - they're a full on favourite to win an Olympic bronze. They're looking super confident and sharp - very high strong SBS jumps, a smoother looking quad, and nice style too... not a team to be underestimated now, since heir breakthrough last year. Allez Morgan/Vanessa! :love: :biggrin:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Refreshing, candid, delightful interview. I enjoyed every minute! Morgan's English is excellent and Vanessa is so exuberant. I can see them taking an Olympic medal; though the pairs field is deep, they have the goods, great music, beautiful lifts, surburb throws, captive audience all worked in their favor early this season. They and the US team are my favorites.... this will be an exciting year for pairs, no question!

charlotte14

Medalist
Realistically, if top 3 deliver, I think they can get the bronze at European again, and place 4th or 5th at the Olympic. Even though I do think there is a chance of medalling at the Olympic, it is low.

nimi

Medalist
Vanessa! :rock:

I really appreciate the detail they gave us about their 4STh technique vs. Meagan's and the strategic 2-footing Vanessa is doing. I think a lot of us here don't really get just how difficult and dangerous it is to land BIG throw quads (or 3AThs) or how even if your 3Tw is big with plenty of air time, you can't just go and "get" a 4Tw just like that. Vanessa's reaction & answer to the the 4Tw question makes it clear how it's not just "one more rotation", it's a really big step & risk for the skaters to take (technically, mentally, physically).

Roast Toast

Medalist
The real hope for a medal is at worlds, I think. I'm crossing my fingers for the Games but I feel like it would take some spectacular splats from other teams for that to happen. S/H, S/M, T/M, D/R, even S/K should all probably be ahead of them if clean. They have two extremely stacked GP assignments though so we should know where they stand relatively soon.

vavavoom

Rinkside
I would be much more optimistic about an Olympic medal than some on here.

I do not think that the other pairs will/should be privileged because they are due or because J/C scored less in the past. The TES are there and as they come from a bigger federation, I do not think they will be heavily underscored in the 5 *artistic* categories, as it is usually the case for skaters from smaller federation.

^since when French Fed is a bigger federation?

Maybe not "bigger," but more influential than most in the ISU. I remember the comment of Phillippe Candeloro after he won his second Olympic bronze: "If we didn't make deals, France would never win a metal."

That was the old days, of course. I am not so sure how it works now, especially since Didier Gailhaguet failed in his bid to become ISU president.

Ender

Match Penalty
Maybe not "bigger," but more influential than most in the ISU. I remember the comment of Phillippe Candeloro after he won his second Olympic bronze: "If we didn't make deals, France would never win a metal."

That was the old days, of course. I am not so sure how it works now, especially since Didier Gailhaguet failed in his bid to become ISU president.
Same for their medal records in ice dance then... of course it applies for all federations. French is more like a middle federation, not small but not big.

vavavoom

Rinkside
Same for their medal records in ice dance then... of course it applies for all federations. French is more like a middle federation, not small but not big.

Lol, seriously? Not small, not big and yet somehow organizing a GP event. :rofl:

Of course, they will not have their scores inflated as much as US, CA, RU but at least they are not losing that much ground either, if they were representing, let's say... Moldova... then I would be worried.

charlotte14

Medalist
Lol, seriously? Not small, not big and yet somehow organizing a GP event. :rofl:

Of course, they will not have their scores inflated as much as US, CA, RU but at least they are not losing that much ground either, if they were representing, let's say... Moldova... then I would be worried.
This still bugs me. French Fed is not that rich, and their GP does not sell that well. They have lost their sponsor. How come they still manage a GP event?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Are these 2 popular in Japan? That matters a lot because Japan is where the super fans are. How does Japan feel about them?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really hope it doesn't matter whether your Fed is big, rich or powerful or whether Japan likes you. This team definitely has a shot at an olympic medal but imho if they all skate their best and cleanly Sui and Han, Savchenko and Massot, S and K, D and R and T and M all deserve to be ahead. But this team is exciting. Ikind of hope they don't medal though because I believe Su and Han, D and R and T andM deserve an oly meal. Savchenko has her medals and had many chances. T and M and D and R are the two unlucky,unloved teams and I have great empathy for them. Cipres and Jame and the rest all seem to have loud voices supporting them but no one shows much love for t and M and D and R and I don't think it is fair or deserved. In a way those two teams are the real underdogs.

rnois13

On the Ice
I want them win more medals and nail their quad throw. I'm honestly clueless about pairs but I am slowly learning because of them. Vanessa James is my queen!

@Bluediamonds09 You should watch their videos in WTT, they did fantastic in Japan. I hope they are invited to ice shows next year.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I really enjoy their unique style and hope they medal at Olympics, if not there, at Worlds!

It makes their success even more enjoyable for me that I always liked the Kerrs, and John Kerr is their choreographer!

Refreshing, candid, delightful interview. I enjoyed every minute! Morgan's English is excellent and Vanessa is so exuberant ...

Vanessa still has a touch of that cool Bermuda accent. :rock:

They are coming on like gang busters, peaking at the right time. I could easily see them overtaking a higher-ranked team by the end of the season. :yes:

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I really hope it doesn't matter whether your Fed is big, rich or powerful or whether Japan likes you. This team definitely has a shot at an olympic medal but imho if they all skate their best and cleanly Sui and Han, Savchenko and Massot, S and K, D and R and T and M all deserve to be ahead. But this team is exciting. Ikind of hope they don't medal though because I believe Su and Han, D and R and T andM deserve an oly meal. Savchenko has her medals and had many chances. T and M and D and R are the two unlucky,unloved teams and I have great empathy for them. Cipres and Jame and the rest all seem to have loud voices supporting them but no one shows much love for t and M and D and R and I don't think it is fair or deserved. In a way those two teams are the real underdogs.

Tarasova / Morozov rather don't make themselves any favours with their programs that make you cringe, albeit it's not exactly their fault. :slink: