Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 36 34.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

icenut84

Final Flight
There's probably more performances than the ones I can think of, so feel free to state them. :) I voted for Irina's.

There is only one Tosca for all eternity and she is Maria Callas!!!

As far as skating is concerned I would go with La Kwan because she interpreted the music not the story (my preference). Irina was trying to convey that she only lived for love and art but it looked more like she had a headache. The jumps were good, though.

Joe

diver chick

On the Ice
I voted for Alexei's because I really felt drawn in by his performance.

Unfortunately I have a hard time with any female interpretations because they seem to try to interpret every single aspect of Tosca in their four and a half minutes and it just doesn't work. Tosca is much to complicated a character for that. As Joe said sometimes people would be better putting their own interpretation to music, proabably why Bolero worked for T&D.

Anyway never having had the pleasure of seeing Maria Callas perform live (too young I'm afraid) I have to go with the Welsh National Opera being one of my fave companies to perform it. The Welsh really can sing ;)

Vash01

Medalist
I picked Irina but I also liked Viktor Peterenko's interpretation a lot. I did not like Michelle's interpretation as much; I found the whole program to be choreographically empty until the last footwork.

BTW Krylova & Ponomarenko never skated together. Did you mean Klimova-Ponomarenko or Krylova-Ovssianikov? I am not aware of either of these ice dance pairs having skated to Tosca.

diver chick

On the Ice
Didn't Krylova and Ovsiannikov have an exhibition dance to Tosca at some point? I seem to remember a dance where she slides across passionately interpreting Tosca's desperation :confused:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I chose other for Krylova&Ovsiannikov. In my opinion their exhibition number is the only skating performance where the music of Tosca has been really interpreted with heart and soul. I have to admit though that I don´t remember Petrenko´s performance or maybe have not even seen it if it is a pro performance.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Viktor skated to Tosca in a couple of pro competitions and it was very good.

Yagudin skated a 'new' program to Tosca at worlds 00 and it needed more work. It could have been a great program but I don't think he skated it again.

I did not see Krylova-Ovssianikov's Tosca at all, thanks to our networks that often did not show us this wonderful ice dance team.

Vash

Germanice

On the Ice
Yagudin skated a 'new' program to Tosca at worlds 00 and it needed more work. It could have been a great program but I don't think he skated it again.
He actually skated it again, and waaaay better!, in April 2000, at a cheesefest in Paris, the Miko Masters. But then, it wasn't Alexei's best program for sure, that's why my vote goes to Petrenko. :)

Anke

diver chick

On the Ice
Actually yes I remember Viktor's Tosca. Very passionate. Wasn't that the program he skated with the ropes on his wrists and the shirt that turned bloody when he was shot.

Germanice

On the Ice
diver chick said:
Actually yes I remember Viktor's Tosca. Very passionate. Wasn't that the program he skated with the ropes on his wrists and the shirt that turned bloody when he was shot.
Exactly! Very "tasteful", and very good! :laugh:

Anke

icenut84

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
BTW Krylova & Ponomarenko never skated together. Did you mean Klimova-Ponomarenko or Krylova-Ovssianikov? I am not aware of either of these ice dance pairs having skated to Tosca.

:eek: :eek: I meant Krylova & Ovsyannikov. Whoops! Obviously wasn't really concentrating when I was writing it. Think I can claim it as a typo? lol

Could a kind moderator please change the name on the poll please? :eek:

diver chick

On the Ice
I think Alexei's Tosca had the potential to be his best program ever - unfortunately it came too late in the season and for whatever reason he decided not to keep it for the following season to work on it.

katherine2001

On the Ice
I thought Viktor's Tosca program was one of his best pro programs. The music and the program were just perfect for him. I have at least two of his performances of it on video (I think they were from Legends and World Pros).

Vash01

Medalist
katherine2001 said:
I thought Viktor's Tosca program was one of his best pro programs. The music and the program were just perfect for him. I have at least two of his performances of it on video (I think they were from Legends and World Pros).

I agree. The ones I have are from world pros and ice wars. That kind of program really suits him. I wish he had not gotten into skating some silly programs.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
diver chick said:
I think Alexei's Tosca had the potential to be his best program ever - unfortunately it came too late in the season and for whatever reason he decided not to keep it for the following season to work on it.
He doesn't like to keep programs from one season to another. Also, apparently, Tosca isn't exactly one of his favorite programs LOL

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Favorite Tosca

Michelle Kwan took my breath away her Tosca. The music is so inspiring and MK certainly did this program justice.

diamond :love:

Kuchana

On the Ice
Well since I didn't see the other Toscas, I would have to go with Michelle's by default:)
With '04 Nationals though. The passion of the program just completely blew me away. It was amazing to see how she was able to carry it out throughout the whole program, culminating to a climax at the end with the footwork. Despite how it was empty in some parts, I think she was able to carry it off overall with the passion. Heck, I didn't even notice it until afterwards because I was so spellbound by the music and with how she was skating to it.

Last edited: