Athens 2004 HD coverage available | Golden Skate

Athens 2004 HD coverage available

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I am well underway in converting my NBC-HD coverage of the 2004 Olympics onto tapes or DVDs. Here is the first group of Tapes/DVDs available from the HD broadcasts.

O04-OPC-001 Opening Ceremonies - Pt. I
O04-OPCS-002 Opening Ceremonies - Pt. II, Swimming-Day 1, Pt. I
O04-GMP-003 Gymnastics - Day 1, Men's Preliminaries Pt. I
O04-GMWP-004 Gymnastics - Day 1, Men's Preliminaries Pt. II
Day 2, Women's Preliminaries Pt. I
O04-SWHF-005 Swimming - Day 1, Pt. II
O04-GWP-006 Gymnastics - Day 2, Women's Preliminaries Pt. II

A note about the Gymnastics coverage. This is very good coverage, but not perfect. The pictures come from a World feed and not NBC. It includes a lot of the U.S. performances, but not all. It includes many other countries and some of the individual performances. For those of you with regular NBC coverage, I think if you combine the standard broadcast with the HD broadcast you will have almost all of the performances.

I like it so much because it is so much more relaxed. It's very much like sitting in the stands and watching the competition. It is a little ragged in production value. For example, we get to watch one of the Spanish men change from his shorts to his long pants instead of watching two of his teammates do their vaults. It's kind of a chuckle.

I have bleeped these tapes as much as I can but, again, they are not perfect. However, you will not have to watch nearly as many of the Sony "Hey Todd" commercials as I did. It's enough to drive anyone bonkers.

Please PM me if you are interested in any of the DVDs or if you are interested in being part of the Email list that gets these reports first.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Here's the second group of tapes/DVDs available from the HD broadcast.

O04-SD12-007 - Swimming - Day 1 - Part III, Swimming - Day 2 - Part I
O04-DMSY-008 - Diving - Day 1, Men's Synchro - 10m Platform, Diving -
Day 3, Men's Synchro - 3m Springboard
O04-SD23-009 - Swimming - Day 2 - Part II, Swimming - Day 3 - Part I
O04-SD3-010 - Swimming - Day 3 - Part II
O04-GMTF-011 - Gymnastics - Day 2, Women's Prelims - Part III (5 min.)
Gymnastics - Day 3, Men's Team Finals
O04-GMWTF-012 - Gymnastics - Day 3, Men's Team Finals - Part II,
Gymnastics - Day 4, Women's Team Finals - Part I
O04-SD34-013 - Swimming - Day 3 - Part III (5 min.), Swimming - Day 4 -
Part I
O04-SD45-014 - Swimming - Day4 - Part II, Swimming - Day 5 - Part I

I am enjoying the gymnastics coverage more and more. Shannon Miller is a very good commentator and, as time goes on, her emotions are coming through. She is very good at explaining quickly about reasons for deductions and is even better at explaining why something doesn't work.

My laugh-out-loud moment was right after Mohini Bhardwaj finished beam in the team final. Paul Sunderland made a comment that was NOT supposed to be heard. The language was just a little blue. I laughed out loud for several minutes. Watch for it.

There are wierd production moments as I have said before. But, just to note ***The repeats you see are NBC - not me***

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Just in case anyone is puzzled, you don't need to have a Hi-def TV in order view this coverage. These are just regular DVDs. I recorded the HD programming and am now transferring that programming to DVD.