The "What If" Thread | Page 7 | Golden Skate

The "What If" Thread

liv

Record Breaker
I also ask what if Sergei Grinkov hadnt died... would they have tried for 1998, like Sergei wanted to?

What if Yagudin's hip hadn't been destroyed? Would Plushenko have won so many titles?

What if Midori skated now?

What if Berezhnaia/Sikharulidze hadnt fallen on that lift in 1998?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What if .... Sotnikova would have won gold at the World and European Championships before the Sochi Olympics?
(She was silver in both, but anyway ...)

Wouldn't have changed a thing.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
What if .... Sotnikova would have won gold at the World and European Championships before the Sochi Olympics?
(She was silver in both, but anyway ...)

You may want to check your facts again, MedoLove. If you remember, she lost to Kaetlyn at Nebelhorn to start the 2012-13 season, then Ashley at Skate America, placed 5th at the Rostelecom Cup, won by Kiira Korpi, did not qualify for the GP Final that year, and wrapped up the season by finishing a distant 9th at Worlds, in 2013. Beyond Europeans, the 2012-13 season was not a memorable pre-Olympic season for Sotnikova.

MedoLove

On the Ice
You may want to check your facts again, MedoLove. If you remember, she lost to Kaetlyn at Nebelhorn to start the 2012-13 season, then Ashley at Skate America, placed 5th at the Rostelecom Cup, won by Kiira Korpi, did not qualify for the GP Final that year, and wrapped up the season by finishing a distant 9th at Worlds, in 2013. Beyond Europeans, the 2012-13 season was not a memorable pre-Olympic season for Sotnikova.

Hahaha don't be so salty , this is a game (; .

Yes, I was wrong : she was Silver in Two European 2013-2014( I confused her second European Silver with A Worldchampionship). Please, she had two European medals at 17 years old , and Silver in Olympic Youth previous SOchi , and she was Junior World Champion too. She was too inconsistent, but not as if she were "nobody."

Following the theme, I was just wondering if she had won a Gold in the world championship or a gold medalin the Europeans, the perception would be different?

But, well, those are only possibilities that may had occurred but did not occur.

As What if Lipnitskaya and Mao had skated clean in Singles ?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
What if Yagudin's hip hadn't been destroyed? Would Plushenko have won so many titles?

Good, good! I wanted to see further fightings. They were very young during the legendary fighting. Yags was 22 Plushy was only 19 when they met last time in competition. Probably we could have seen 4Lz in early 2000'. ( Plush landed in it many times in training). Plush had no rivals in technic after Yags' retiring.

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
What if yulia skated clean outside the team competition in sochi?
What if elena and nikita stayed together? they got 1st in the FS at the 2014 worlds. Who knows what they could have accomplished if they stayed together.
what if the plane crash that cancelled worlds never happened? (there were a lot of potential break out stars on that plane)
What if they still allowed skaters under 15 to participate in the Olympics and senior worlds? Could that have lead to mao winning the 2006 Olympics?
what if yuzu stayed with his old coach?
what if someone besides Evgenia won the 2018 Olympics?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
not skating related, but this made me think of Jordyn wieber at the 2012 Olympics. what if there were no 2 per country rule and she would have competed in the all around?

The most random unrelated response? ever. LOL

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ding ding ding! :2thumbs:

You forgot Chen Lu in 1996. Otoh, would Lipinski's hips have lasted until 2000 to be a contender?

I think LuLu was lucky enough to win two OBM. Remember she also fell from grace badly at one world championships in that time period.

But what if Mirai got to go to the 2014 olympics which american girl would have sat at home in front of her big screen in sweats with Puffs beside her as she cried?

What if Tonya Harding hadn't skated at the olympics in 1994 or at least not had problems with her laces. How would that have affected other skaters.

What if Babilonia and Gardner had been able to compete at the winter olympics in I think 1980?

What if Tracey Wainman hadn't given up?

What if olympics were in 2012 would Chan have an OGM individually?

What if Grinkov hadn't died would skating be more popular with G and G?

What if I and K had never broken up?

What if there was no Carmen, no POTO, no Westside Story, no Swan Lake, Rach or Beethov. or ...

What if MRRICE could have two spouses? Would he also be married to Maria Butyrskaya? What would he have worn to the wedding?

What if Shalabin didn't have injuries and was injury free what would have happened in Vancouver?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have much What if , ABOUT MAO .

what if Mao would have been eligible for Torino 2006? (she would have won the gold, obviously).
What if Mao's PCSs had been judged as she should during her career, she was obviously always under-scoring on her PCS.

What if Mao would have been mentally stable in Vancouver, without the sadness of her mother's illness) (that's very intimate, sorry).

What if mao had not failed in her Shochi's SP? or, on the contrary, even if she had failed, what would have happened if her FS had given the score she deserved: 150 or + (World Record). Because, sorry, her 3A was never UR, her stsq are amazing and again her PCS were rated with miserable scores.

I'M SORRY, I have not yet overcome this loss, I miss Mao so much.

Well to be fair then what if Joannie's mom hadn't dies literally a day or two before the event!!!! at the event!!!!

macy

Record Breaker
2. What if Rachael Flatt had a consistently rotated 3-3 combo and went to Marina Zoueva for choreo/work on skating skills?

with how consistent her jumps typically were she probably could have been a world medalist. she wasn't the most interesting skater to watch but she did skate with a lot of heart and you could always see her passion for it in her performances. that in itself made me like to watch her.

macy

Record Breaker
here's another...

if yuna was still competing today, would evgenia still be as dominant as she has been? would it be a battle between them for the top spot, or would yuna overtake her? IMO, I think yuna would pretty easily be the no. 1 lady. I know COP has changed since yuna's record breaking scores in 2010, but I still don't think anyone should have topped those scores. that has been hands down the best ladies skating I have ever seen to date.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Recent one:
What if the Italy JGP judges weren't so insane with who they choose to reward and punish?