Canada Won World Cup of Hockey - Yea! | Golden Skate

Canada Won World Cup of Hockey - Yea!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, we may have all most missed the podium entirely at the Summer Olympics, but we won the game that counts the most to the average Canuck - Hockey! The world cup of Hockey. I think Canadians care more about Hockey than they do the Olympics.

http://www.tsn.ca/

mike79

On the Ice
Loved watching them win, although it seemed a little anti-climactic after winning the 2002 Olympics. I think I would have been more into it if we had been playing the USA or Russia for the gold.

I must say congrats to Finland for really stepping up and showing that they're one of the elite teams in the world now.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Mike:

It was nice hearing cheers of glory for our guys for a change. I guess, with the hockey strike looming, it helped put a positive spin on things.

Are you still watching Canadian Idol? I have been hanging in there. May as well watch the final episodes. It's funny, I thought Jacob was a bit weird, but I think he actually is the most talented and has the best stage presence of all the contestants. Too bad, he got voted off last week. I think Kalan will probably win - I don't think his voice is that great - pleasant - but not great.

Last edited:

mike79

On the Ice
I'm still watching it too. I agree that Jacob had the best stage presence of all the Idols, but I'm glad he didn't win. I think that he'll do much better with his band.

I agree that Kalan will probably win. I'm actually hoping he does because I don't want to see Theresa pigeonholed with generic pop music written for her. I think she has an amazing future ahead of her.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
mike79 said:
I'm still watching it too. I agree that Jacob had the best stage presence of all the Idols, but I'm glad he didn't win. I think that he'll do much better with his band.

I agree that Kalan will probably win. I'm actually hoping he does because I don't want to see Theresa pigeonholed with generic pop music written for her. I think she has an amazing future ahead of her.

Yes, I am hoping to hear more from Theresa and dare I say Jacob? He kind of grew on me. I really dug his last performance - "I Want You to Want Me."

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Congrats on the gold, but if I hear again that it was all Gretzky..I am going to scream! The guys earned it. yes he selected the players but please, when you have the best to choose from how can you mess up when the national pride was on the line?

I was rooting for Finns though..

Yana

Ladskater

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
Congrats on the gold, but if I hear again that it was all Gretzky..I am going to scream! The guys earned it. yes he selected the players but please, when you have the best to choose from how can you mess up when the national pride was on the line?

I was rooting for Finns though..

Yana

If you had Gretsky in the States in his golden years as the "Great One" like we did in Canada, you would understand, what he represents - not only as a great hockey player, but a very canny businessman. Yes, Gretsky "hand picked" the players and a good thing he did, why not? He knows hockey inside and out. After our poor showing at the Summer Olympics, we needed a "shot in the arm." The States has its sports heros - we have ours. Gretsky is one of them.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Canada! :)

Will there be a hockey season? I understand that there is currently a lockout situation in the NHL (or a very good chance that there will be?). I hope that can be resolved.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
iluvtodd said:
Congrats to Canada! :)

Will there be a hockey season? I understand that there is currently a lockout situation in the NHL (or a very good chance that there will be?). I hope that can be resolved.

As of last night, the hockey season is on hold. No "Hockey night in Canada" this season - first time in its history - at least in my lifetime to my knowledge. Strange. Not hearing about a Hockey game in Canada is just not normal. What will the fans talk about?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
If you had Gretsky in the States in his golden years as the "Great One" like we did in Canada, you would understand, what he represents - not only as a great hockey player, but a very canny businessman. Yes, Gretsky "hand picked" the players and a good thing he did, why not? He knows hockey inside and out. After our poor showing at the Summer Olympics, we needed a "shot in the arm." The States has its sports heros - we have ours. Gretsky is one of them.

We did have him in STL and thanks to him we lost the series to Detroit. He was gone after a few months to make the big bucks with the dreaded NY Rangers..

I know very well what he means to Canada, I just really don't think of him as the greatest, at least as a person. Mario Lemieux, on the other hand, is my hero and is a great human being. He bailed out his adopted city (Pittsburgh, PA) and came back with all his heart. Gretzky, the "canny businessman", on the contrary, bought the Phoenix franchise, the one that used to be in CANADA, instead of helping out a team in the country that worships him. Mario carried the team on his back, came back from cancer, back injuries, and his points per game are a lot higher than Gretzky - who was surrounded by superstars in his prime years.

I don't mean to be bashing Gretzky, it just seems unfair that he gets so much credit for this Cup. I know his is the hero in Canada, but he was not on the ice. The TEAM earned it and it should be them getting most of the praise. How come nobody mentions Pat Quinn?

again, nothing personal :)) I am happy for Canada, really!

Yana