Canadian Idol - Final Showdown...thoughts... | Golden Skate

Canadian Idol - Final Showdown...thoughts...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hmmm.........tonight was the final showdown for the winner to be chosen. Kalan or Theresa? I don't know. Neither of them really inspired me. I am not sure if it was choice of material or what.

Kalan's "Born to Be Wild" rendition was not that great.

Theresa - "Cruisin" just does nothing for me.

They expect these singers to make it internationally?
I don't think so.

Kalan will likely win - he is the most popular. I just don't think he is that great a singer.

mike79

On the Ice
Theresa's Come Away With Me was brilliant. That is the type of music she will probably end up singing and it suits her well.

Kalan should at least have a career in Canada since he's very rock oriented and Canada is a country that loves its rock stars.

No matter who wins I'm gonna feel sorry for them having to release that terrible song as a single. I wanted to puke when both of them sang it.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
mike79 said:
Theresa's Come Away With Me was brilliant. That is the type of music she will probably end up singing and it suits her well.

Kalan should at least have a career in Canada since he's very rock oriented and Canada is a country that loves its rock stars.

No matter who wins I'm gonna feel sorry for them having to release that terrible song as a single. I wanted to puke when both of them sang it.

Mike:

There is a recording of Jacob singing the song as well, I heard it on the Canadian Idol Forum. It's awesome. He actually made the song sound like something. I still think he should be in the running - not Kalan.

I guess Theresa's style of music does not appeal to me - I am not a Norah Jones fan either. Kalan, just does nothing for me musically. I know it's the curly locks and blue eyes that are getting him the votes.

I doubt I will watch any future Canadian Idol or American Idol programs. Unless some really great talent turns up.

Jacob turned out to be a surprise in the end.

mike79

On the Ice
I just heard Jacob's recording of it and it's much better than what we heard last night. You've got to remember that Jacob's is a studio version and is all cleaned up, whereas Theresa and Kalan were performing live. No matter who sings it, the lyrics are horrible and are nothing more than a detriment to whoever wins.

I can definitely see how you wouldn't care too much for Theresa if you don't care for Norah Jones. I love everything Norah Jones does so I'm naturally into Theresa's singing.

Lad, you should watch next season's American Idol. It's completely different from CI because it seems that everyone has the 'big' voice on it. CI tends to include more variety of music and artists.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I agree with Mike's thoughts. That theme song is bad. I love Theresa and I love Norah JOnes too. But I do want to see Kalan win. I think if Theresa won, her style would be ruined just like Ryan malcolm's was. Let her finish second, take some time and write and record her songs with leisure and release a kick butt album in a year.

mike79

On the Ice
Spoilers below..................................

Well tonight was a great show overall. I thought that all of the top 10 sounded great except for Josh who didn't deserve to be there in the first place.

Out of the first eight to be eliminated I was really impressed with Shane. If only he had allowed himself to show that much emotion during the competition.

Elena was great as always.

Jacob was awesome.

I feel bad that Brandy never connected with the audience because she has a very strong voice.

I actually liked Ryan Malcolm's new song. It suits him better than anything from his debut album.

I thought that Theresa gave the performance of the entire competition when she performed Good Mother. That girl is all class and she is going to be a big star. I think she's my favorite Idol contestant ever, maybe even more than Kelly Clarkson.

Although it was anticlimactic with Kalan winning I'm happy for him. I think he'll have more success than Ryan did simply because he has that heartthrob fanbase.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
mike79 said:
I just heard Jacob's recording of it and it's much better than what we heard last night. You've got to remember that Jacob's is a studio version and is all cleaned up, whereas Theresa and Kalan were performing live. No matter who sings it, the lyrics are horrible and are nothing more than a detriment to whoever wins.

I can definitely see how you wouldn't care too much for Theresa if you don't care for Norah Jones. I love everything Norah Jones does so I'm naturally into Theresa's singing.

Lad, you should watch next season's American Idol. It's completely different from CI because it seems that everyone has the 'big' voice on it. CI tends to include more variety of music and artists.

Mike:

Dont get me wrong. I love our Canadian pool of talent and the fact that there is so much musical variety and artists. I also think our singers are allowed more scope than the American version.

I liked some of Theresa's choices, but I am just not into "scat" singing. However, I liked Theresa's rendition of Jan Ardens' "Good Mother." Very sincere. I also loved her rendition of Gordon Lightfoots' "Song for A Winter's Night." Probably, one of the best highlights of Canadian Idol. I predict a bright future for Theresa.

I am just watching the show and enjoying watching some of the previous singers.
I was greatly disappointed when Shane got eliminated. I don't know what happened there; he certainly has the talent. One of the best voices of the bunch. I am going to keep looking for a CD of Shanes songs.

So Kalan, won. No big surprise. I think it should have been Jacob. I don't think we have heard the last of Jacob. It's too bad both Jacob and Theresa could not have shared the title - kind of like a couple of famous pairs we know?!? :)

I really enjoyed the group numbers the best. It seemed to bring out the best in all of the idol contestants.

Well, I hung in there and watched the whole darn thing. I have to say I was a little skeptical at first; it's interesting watching the singers go through the process. Kind of like watching a figure skating competition.

I just might tune into the next Idol show.

PS - With all the wonderful talented songwriters' we have in this country, couldn't they have asked one of them to pen a better song for Kalan for his first "hit" - Gordon Lightfoot for example!!! He was in the building!!!!!

Yikes - poor Kalan.

Last edited:

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I don't think not winning is a bad thing. Does that make sense? At least the top four from last year all have cds out. I'm not too sure if Jenny Gear does. And Toya Alexis or whatever her name was, who finished 6th has a cd out too I believe. I think the runners up will do just fine. We'll be seeing Theresa, Jacob, and the newfie dude whose name I forget, with cds out. Elena and Shane shouldn't have too much difficulty either. I just hope they follow Billy Klippert's example and take the time to make a quality cd.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Kara Bear said:
I don't think not winning is a bad thing. Does that make sense? At least the top four from last year all have cds out. I'm not too sure if Jenny Gear does. And Toya Alexis or whatever her name was, who finished 6th has a cd out too I believe. I think the runners up will do just fine. We'll be seeing Theresa, Jacob, and the newfie dude whose name I forget, with cds out. Elena and Shane shouldn't have too much difficulty either. I just hope they follow Billy Klippert's example and take the time to make a quality cd.

I agree. These kids got enough exposure so I am sure we have not heard the last from them. Title or no title, Jacob is going to rock on!!!!! Will be looking for his CD and Shane's.