Canadian Idol and American Idol - Do the Winners Really Make It? | Golden Skate

Canadian Idol and American Idol - Do the Winners Really Make It?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
So what happens for the winners after Canadian Idol and American Idol? I have yet to hear any of them singing a huge hit on the radio. I hear their names mentioned once in awhile and see the occasional CD in A&B Sound, but are they like "one hit wonders" or what?

Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, Burton Cummings, Neil Young to name a few famous Canadian singer/songwriters all made it in the music industry on their own merrit and hard work.

I just don't see these "Idol" performers having the staying power or the material.

mike79

On the Ice
The only one I see who has really made it is Kelly Clarkson. I think she's got a huge career ahead of her.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Fantasia has made a hit on the red carpets, but until her album comes out who knows how she'll do

Ruben's become a diva of sorts leaving concerts half way through for whatever reason. Clay's the star of AI 2, with Kimberly Locke and Josh Gracin getting a lot of action as well...

as for Canadian Idol I haven't seen squat here in Alaska...

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I think Clay Aiken is the biggest star from American Idol. Kelly Clarkson has been successful as well. Kimberley Locke (3rd on AI2) will be appearing in one of the Disson TV skating specials this autumn so you can catch her there. Clay is currently finishing his 3rd live concert series since AI2 ended in 2003. His 2nd album (Christmas) will be out soon.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
From what I've read, Ruben's problems are physical. He simply doesn't have the stamina to get through a concert/performance of any significant length of time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
then his fans should have been refunded... for the ones that he walked away with no explanation... and he shouldn't charge a large ammount for a small concert... just my feelings...

as for Clay being the biggest, I don't know... Kelly seems really well liked in Hollywood while Hollywood hasn't really embraced Clay as much (he's not been the nicest about the image of hollywood anyway but still) not only that but Kelly has a huge following... so I think they're about even... just from what I've read though

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Fantasia has made a hit on the red carpets, but until her album comes out who knows how she'll do

Ruben's become a diva of sorts leaving concerts half way through for whatever reason. Clay's the star of AI 2, with Kimberly Locke and Josh Gracin getting a lot of action as well...

as for Canadian Idol I haven't seen squat here in Alaska...

Toni:

For "home grown" talent Canadian Idol was not bad. Whether these folks have a future in the music industry is anyone's gamble.

The winner - Kalan Porter - is definitely cute and has the looks of a pop star, but the voice - well in my opinion - for what it is worth - it's not great. His range is limited and he pretty much sings the same style everytime. He can play the fiddle. I won't be rushing out to buy his new CD.

Theresa Sokyrka - the runner up - is a better singer and much more entertaining. By rights she should have won, but thousands of teenybopper girls voted for Kalan - the blonde curly hair, the blue eyes - you get the picture! Kind of like Davey Jones of the Monkees.

Jacob Hoggard was the third runner up, but was eliminated last week. Too bad. I think of all the singers, Jacob is the most talented and versatile. At first, I thought he was weird, but he grew on me and I could see his talent emerging every week. He is very creative and came up with a different idea each week. No one else took the risks, Jacob took. Even without the Idol title, I can see Jacob making it in the music industry.

Here is a picture of Kalan:http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/idol/CTVShows/1095404486593_90813548/

Our last year's Idol winner - Ryan Malcolm kind of fizzled. He did appear on this Idol show and is making a CD. The runner up - Gary Beales - seems to be making it bigger - kind of a twist.

Will we hear more from Kalan? Will wait and see!!!

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Our last year's Idol winner - Ryan Malcolm kind of fizzled. He did appear on this Idol show and is making a CD. The runner up - Gary Beales - seems to be making it bigger - kind of a twist.
I adore Ryan. But his career's gone nowhere since CI.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Clay Aiken performed last evening at the "The Miss America" pageant in Atlantic City. He sang "The Way" & also, introduced the 5 finalists & their parents.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes I know Clay was on TV last night my mother IMed me last night and told me... however I didn't know because I was sick and went to sleep at 8pm

I wanted to watch the pagent but my aunt didn't want to and watched CSI instead *sigh* if I only knew sooner! I'd have thrown a fit and made her watch! LOL ;)

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Ryan Malcolm was totally ruined by whoever made his first cd. It was total crap. Hopefully his new one will have more of Ryan's imput in it and be more true to himself. Audrey seems to get lots of press. But overall, I think Billy will be the one who is still releasing cds twenty years from now.

Johar

Medalist
I think it's better to NOT win. Less pressure to maintain that "winning essence."

Some singers sound better live than on tape, and vice versa. Tamara Grey (I think it's her) has a CD out and people say she sounds better than most of the winners.

icewings

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
yes I know Clay was on TV last night my mother IMed me last night and told me... however I didn't know because I was sick and went to sleep at 8pm

I wanted to watch the pagent but my aunt didn't want to and watched CSI instead *sigh* if I only knew sooner! I'd have thrown a fit and made her watch! LOL ;)

that's so wierd, my mom started IMing me last night telling me she was watching Clay and the messages were forwarded to my cell but i was so amazingly tired after having the roughest fri night ever that i didnt read till sunday morning

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I don't know the Canadian Idol people at all, but the American Idol folks are doing very well. So far, Kelly Clarkson has had five, top 10 singles on the Billboard charts. Ruben Studdard, Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken and Kim Locke have all had either #1 albums or #1 singles on Billboard. In 2003, in terms of best selling singles:

Kelly Clarkson: # 8 Singles Artist of the Year ~ Clay Aiken: # 49 Singles Artist of the Year ~ Ruben Studdard: # 104 Singles Artist of the Year

Kelly Clarkson was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance ("Miss Independent"). Ruben Studdard was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance ("Superstar").

So I think they're doing well. We'll have to see if they have staying power.