Vanity Fair - movie review | Golden Skate

Vanity Fair - movie review

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Just saw "Vanity Fair" and I must say it was very good. A period piece of course, which I love. The story is by Thackeray. The costumes were splendid. Reese Witherspoon turned in a pretty good performance and I must say, James Purefoy (played the leading man role as her husband) was easy on the eyes!! . It was quite long (2.5 hours) so don't consume a large beverage!!!

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id=1800247642&cf=pg&photoid=524926&intl=us

bronxgirl

Medalist
I'm a fan of Mira Nair the director, so I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. I oved Monsson Wedding!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I too LOVED "Vanity Fair." I think it is possible for Reese W to get an oscar nod for this movie.. The costumes were amazing..and also the art direction/landscapes... The way they poked fun at the rich lady aristocrats of the early 1800's was brilliant.. Also, the lady who played the rich old maid (Reese ended up wedding her nephew)..when she took her wig off and got up outta the tub naked..LOL I was like ..you go on gurrl! lol I think she deserves an oscar nod as well.. Anywho, it was a Gone With the Wind type movie with a British/India twist...............Peace

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
People Magazine said it was a far cry from the book it's based on... it gave a dismal review... I wanted to see the movie but with their recomendation I planned to just rent it... I may have to change my mind!

Lucy25

Final Flight
Please do not base your decision to see this or any movie on a People Magazine review! Yes, the movie is not exactly like the book, but it is very enjoyable, and Reese Witherspoon was very good. She was obviously quite pregnant in real life during much of the shoot, though. She was lucky the empire waist was the style during the time period, but there are some scenes where they try to hide her stomach with props (like the roled up rug she was carrying). I think at one point of shooting she was five months pregnant.

As mentioned already, many of the other actors were excellent in this movie, like the rich old lady. The one liners were great throughout the film.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's not the only review I was going on but the most... "distinguished" I guess is the word... friends went and saw it and didn't like it either... but I may end up still just waiting and getting it at blockbuster... starving college student here!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
it's not the only review I was going on but the most... "distinguished" I guess is the word... friends went and saw it and didn't like it either... but I may end up still just waiting and getting it at blockbuster... starving college student here!

Toni:

Roger Ebert gave "Vanity Fair" two thumbs up. I had heard some mixed reviews as well. I have not read the book so cannot make a fair judgement as far as the story line goes. I would imagine the director took some license with the story. Movies are never as good as the book. The movie was very long; so the book must be as well. No doubt a few characters were either missed entirely or amalgamated into one character.

I think you would enjoy the photography. It's very rich. That alone would make it worth your while to rent at Blockbuster.

- Enjoy!

I heard there was a TV entertainment reporter who asked Witherspoon, why she wanted to do a movie about a magazine? :laugh: The reporter was serious and Witherspoon didn't want to embarrass her.

Joe