Open Water | Golden Skate

Open Water

diver chick

On the Ice
Went to see this movie this week and boy is that 2hours of my life I'd like back!!!

What a load of cobblers!! Granted I went in with a cynical mind anyway but it surpassed all my expectations of ridiculous!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
This movie had such great reviews.....Why? It was horrible!!!! This in NO way should be compared to Jaws..... It did have its moments that got you on the edge of your seat, but besides that VERY dry.......Although, it did make me think twice about going scuba diving..lol....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think the idea of this movie was to be the same as "The Blair Witch Project." Simply to scare people with a situation that really had not happened. "The Blair Witch Project" managed to scare me out of my seat. I was taken in - thought it was real. My husband - convinced me. "Open Water" looks like a movie I would avoid. Thanks for the review.

diver chick

On the Ice
Open Water is based on a true story.

A couple went on holiday to Queensland and were left behind by their dive boat who then took 48 hours to raise the alarm.

This movie is pure conjecture and based on nothing more than someones over active imagination as to what may not have happened to the couple as their bodies were never found. Unfortunately there are now people who are convinced that it is a true story and is exactly how it happened it is bordering on the ridiculous.

Plus there are so many inaccuracies in this movie that I just laughed in sheer disbelief all the way through.

Johar

Medalist
What were some of the inaccuracies? Don't most dive boats dive within site of land?

diver chick

On the Ice
It depends on where you are to be honest.

Here in Britain I have been on boats that have dived within site of land, however in Egypt I have been on boats that have not - the boats go where the dives are.

Many of the inaccuracies that I saw were more to do with the diving itself than anything in the story so I guess unless you are a diver you wouldn't pick up on them.
Supposedly these two were experienced divers yet between them they had not one single safety item. When I dive off a boat I have a surface marker buoy, a whistle, a night-time signalling device of some kind ie torch/strobe/glow stick

But the main issue I have with this movie is presenting it as if everything in it were fact.

Johar

Medalist
Thanks, Diver Chick.

I hope to learn Scuba someday, as I love the water and being under it. I feel so free and all my other troubles just disappear when I am snorkeling.