Stephane Lambiel out of GP | Golden Skate

Stephane Lambiel out of GP

MasterB

Final Flight
According to his website, Stephane has the same knee problem as Plushenko. Stephane is having surgery and has been ordered to rest two months before he begins to train, by then the season will be over. However he could train for Euro's and Worlds. This guy is one of my favorites right now but has yet to produce some consistancy. I wish him a speedy recovery and success in the upcoming year.

Thanks Master B for the info that he will have surgery. This poor talented kid has had the problem for quite some time. I was afraid he was going the way of another favorite of mine, Sasha Abt.

Let's hope the surgery goes well and he should listen to the doctors. No skating until they say so. I know of too many athletes that rush back after surgery and whamo, there gone forever, I think Yags came back to quickly.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
He did the right thing. If he made a fully recover from the surgery. Who knows he could be a next OGM. But one can always hope. I love his skating, such a natural dancing skater.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the info! I´m extremely glad that Lambiel did the sensible thing by having a surgery and a rest now. This was the very best time to do it and not to play with chances in the Olympic season...

Marjaana

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Jaana said:
Thanks for the info! I´m extremely glad that Lambiel did the sensible thing by having a surgery and a rest now. This was the very best time to do it and not to play with chances in the Olympic season...

Marjaana

Now if only Plushenko had enough sense to do the same thing.

Vash01

Medalist
Lambiel seems to have more sense than Plushenko. I am extremely concerned that EP is not letting his injured knee rest and is not going for surgery. Of course I am not a doctor and I have not examined his knee, but most athletes seem to go for surgery before an injury becomes even more serious. I hope Lambiel can come back from the surgery stronger.

Vash

Linny

Final Flight
Knee surgery

Plush says he's listening to his doctors and they did not indicate surgery at this time... at least that's the way I recall the gist of one of the many interviews they did with him last season. Perhaps someone can provide direct quote... and more recent information.

mpal2

Final Flight
But a torn miniscus isn't going to heal itself and will only get worse over time. Evgeni's knee probably does feel better at times. That would be when he's not in full blown training/competition mode.

I only know one person with a torn miniscus, but he thought he could go without surgery. When he finally broke down and had the surgery, the damage was much worse and it took him longer to heal than it would have if he had just taken care of the problem right away.

Not taking care of any injury is just plain stupid. They don't go away when you ignore them.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Plushenko has said repeatedly that his doctors have been treating his knee through non-surgical means.

mpal2

Final Flight
hockeyfan228 said:
Plushenko has said repeatedly that his doctors have been treating his knee through non-surgical means.

What nonsurgical methods will heal a torn miniscus? If any in the medical fields can enlighten us, please do. But from what I've read, a surgery is the only way to repair it. The nonsurgical methods deal with the pain and inflammation but do not correct the problem. Treating symptoms is different from curing the problem.

mpal2 said:
What nonsurgical methods will heal a torn miniscus? If any in the medical fields can enlighten us, please do. But from what I've read, a surgery is the only way to repair it. The nonsurgical methods deal with the pain and inflammation but do not correct the problem. Treating symptoms is different from curing the problem.

Having had the problem, there is no cure for a torn cartiledge. In the early stages, one can do exercise to alleviate the pain but that can go just so far. If he has the surgery soon he will avoid arthritus in the near future. But I believe arthritus will win over eventually, and then knee replacement is the norm. Not a good outlook way down the road but he should act on the best advice a doctor can give him now. Let's hope the doctor is correct.

Joe

MasterB

Final Flight
Out of GP

One can say that the reason Plushenko has not had his Surgery is because of all of the financial opportunities he would miss due to surgery. His injury might not be as serious as we think. Lambiel is not in demand right now so he can take time off to heal, but the reason he is not in demand yet is because he has yet to do an entire GP season with any success. Lambiels website also indicated that he did not skate for three months after Worlds. It didn't say if it was due to injury or lack of ice. Seems like the king of the ice this season will be BRIAN JOUBERT.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Lambiel didn't skate after Worlds because he was busy finishing his exams in school :) Where he was successful too, BTW. I think the only one he had a bad grade or didn't pass at all was Math LOL (maybe Mathman could give him a few lessons ;) )

And ITA that one of the many reasons Plushenko doesn't go for surgery is the finantial opporunities. Let's face it, it's always very hard for such competitive athletes like Plushenko to stop and go for a surgery. It's not just the time, ice training and money he loses, it's a break from that competitive mentality. And the closer it gets to the Olympics, the more they push the idea away. We never know what happens in a surgery and he probably feels that as long as he can skate, and provided he can take medicine to avoid the pain, he will keep doing it. I think he should have taken care of the problem last year right away because now he wouldn't have to deal with any of this. It's not wise and he's risking a little on the long-run, but in a way, I sure understand why he prefers not go for surgery. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

treeskater

Rinkside
Another note about torn meniscus. Many people sustain them and never even know it. A lot depends on what part of the meniscus is torn. Over time, a tear in the middle may become a problem if the torn edge starts 'catching' or feeling like the knee is locking. It was 2-1/2 years after my torn cartilage that it became a problem. Granted, I am an adult skater and not doing quads. I had a partial menisectomy (basically they just nip off the end fragments) and have done well for 10 years. This past year I torn it further, had pain for 6 weeks, but was able to keep skating and jumping. When I tore the other knee, on a slideboard, that was a tear deep in the side joint/attachment area. Then the pain was so bad, I said fix-up.