Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suguri Switches Coaches

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I definitely agree with Hockeyfan's comments of Fumie at Dortmund, but I just put the whole competition as the exception to her fine skating. She was off that Worlds and her QR was very poor. I don't think she will skate that poorly in the future. She'll be back in shape.

A skater has to decide what to do in search of the goal. If changing coaches, is one of the decisions, then so be it. Good luck to her.

Joe
    Actually Fumie's Worlds experience in Dortmund is a shame. Her sp and lp were both wonderful. And of all of her lp's done at Worlds, this years was her best by far. She was 5th in the free skate and 7th in the sp. ANd that's with her scores held down because of skaters yet to come down. Just a nasty qualifying experience which wasnt helped by the fact that she skated so early in the QR. Do we know anything about Fumie's programs for this upcoming season by the way?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrystia Mee
    Do we know anything about Fumie's programs for this upcoming season by the way?
    Here's what I found on the ISU website:

http://www.isufs.org/bios/isufs00000011.htm

SP: Pink Panther Theme
    LP: Tango Para Percusion by Lalo Schifrin, Carmen Fantasie by Franz Waxman, Carmen by George Bizet

The SP is a departure for her again, the LP is yet another Carmen - but I'm still looking forward to seeing both. Lori Nichol is still her choreographer.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

The Pink Panther will be great for Fumie! Just so she doesn't wear a pink pants suit!!!

The Carmen Fantasie by Waxman is from Lori Nichols all-time fave CD, Humoresque by violinist Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg. I think it is the same music that Michelle Kwan used for her Fate of Carmen SP in 1999. The Tristan and Isolde Fantasie that she choreographed for Sale and Pelletier is on the same CD, as is the title song, used by Jose Chiounard in her Harlequin routine that she won the Canadian Open with a few years ago.

It's all good stuff.

Mathman

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    I guess time will tell if this is a good choice for Fumie. I really like her skating and I look foward to seeing her new programs this year. And IMO, with her using Lori Nichol again, that is a good bet for some wonderful programs. I love her choreography! :D

The Carmen is a mixture of different composers so the Bizet tunes will be limited. I'm actually looking forward to this. Nice to see Fumie is hanging in there and serious.

Joe

Custom Title
    Wow a lot of moves to Russian coaches.

OT, but on the subject of "yet another Carmen," do men ever skate to Carmen? It has some rousing martial music, like the Toreador's song.

Mathman

PS. But I have to confess that this tune was forever ruined for me by the episode of Gilligin's Island where the castaways did "Hamlet, the musical," and used the Toreador's Song as a setting for Polonius' advice to Laertes.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be!
    And don't forget.
    Stay out of debt.
    Now just take this piece of good advice from me.
    Guard thine own Sovereignteeeeeeeeeeee!
    And there's just one more thing.
    That you must do.
    To thine own Self. Be. True."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    OT, but on the subject of "yet another Carmen," do men ever skate to Carmen? It has some rousing martial music, like the Toreador's song.
    Michael Weiss skated to "Carmen" in the 1999-2000 season. I thought it was one of his best LP's choreographically and he really skated it well in Cleveland to win his 2nd Nationals title. Plushenko used "Carmen" for his LP theme two seasons later. THose are just two that immediately come to my mind.

About Fumie: I love her speed and flow -- and her COI program this past year was one of the highlight's of the Chicago show for me. I hope her change of coach and move to Chicago work well out for her.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrystia Mee
    Wow! This thread seriuosly shocked me. I'm a huge FUmie Suguri fan so I haven't decided what I think. But I'm leaning towards change might be the right thing for her. Her basic skating is fantastic and she's got a lot of talent. When she's on, she does very well. I don't agree about yor comments regarding her speed, but everyone seems to have varying opinions when it comes to FUmie. I hope that she has an incredible comeback season.
    I think Fumi is a beautiful, lyrical skater, with great musical interpretation. When her jumps are on, she's one of the best; however, she's had problems with consistency, so a coaching change may be a great move for her. I would imagine that she might feel over-pressured living and training in Japan, and a change of scenery - not to mention country - might be what she needs to relax and concentrate on her skating.

Actually, I would love to see her train with Frank Carroll of Kristy Ness, as both of those coaches have certainly proved their ability to train champion skaters.

Vasiliev seems like a oddball coaching choice to me, but I'm sure Fumi has good reasons for making this choice.

Whatever she does, I wish her the best!

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Viktor Petrenko used the Toreador's Song as part of his short program (or it was probably called original program back then).

Rinkside
    I have to say, I really don't understand Fumie's choice of Vasiliev for a coach. However, I do understand her move to the U.S. I too believe that Frank Carroll would have been a better choice for her...maybe, he didn't have the time to coach her. IMO, I don't think Vasiliev has proven himself as a singles coach. He may have helped T/M with their consistency, but this was not true for Volchkova. Hopefully, Fumie is the type of talent he needs to prove himself as a singles coach. Maybe he has coached a champion singles skater before, and I'm unaware of it.

I believe that Fumie left Sato because much of his time would have been spent with Miki Ando, and Fumie needed a coach that could focus primarily on her ...perhaps, this is why she chose Vasiliev. I am also a Suguri fan, I really want to see her improve her flexibility, as it will make her spins and spirals more interesting & beautiful. Right now, I believe that Fumie is stuck in the middle of a pack of extremely talented Japanese skaters. I predict that Fumie will be battling Yukina for the final spot on the Japanese team for Worlds 2005. In this case, I would prefer Yukina to go. It's just a shame that Japan has so many gifted ladies and will only have 3 slots for Worlds. IMO, Japan should be alloted at least 4 slots for its ladies based on the most recent ISU rankings. Japan has the deepest ladies team in the world. The U.S. is still a power in ladies skating thanks to Kwan & Cohen. However, beyond those 2, the talent appears to run a little thin in comparison to the Japanese ladies. However, I predict that the Russian ladies team will return to prominence this season at Worlds in Moscow and will definitely be a factor.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipson
    Viktor Petrenko used the Toreador's Song as part of his short program (or it was probably called original program back then).
    Yagudin skated to Carmen in one of his early years- may be 1997? I will have to check my tapes.

Rinkside
    Just curious - does Fumie speak much english - or do these Japanese skaters use translators - or how does it work? Of course, I guess with Tarasova and Arakawa - with both of them not speaking that much english - it's the same problem - just trying to imagine how they communicate effectively at practice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPatina27
    Just curious - does Fumie speak much english - or do these Japanese skaters use translators - or how does it work? Of course, I guess with Tarasova and Arakawa - with both of them not speaking that much english - it's the same problem - just trying to imagine how they communicate effectively at practice.
    Communication is does not always take place by words. In fact even when people don't speak a common language, they are able to communicate. It is quite amazing- this ability, us humans have.

Back when Tarasova worked with Sasha, she said that she felt the language barrier hindered the work. My guess is that both Fumie and Shizuka should speak English quite well; in Tarasova's camp, so does Platov, and I think he works with her a lot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast