Meissner added to Campbell International | Golden Skate

Meissner added to Campbell International

MasterB

Final Flight
The USFSA has just annouced that Meissner will take the place left vacant by Carolina Kosner. This is a tremendous opportunity for her to make some NOISE before nationals. Best of luck.

I wonder what happened to Kosner?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Kostner suffered a back injury this summer. She was seen by some FSU'ers during Nebelhorn a couple of weeks ago practicing at the Obersdorf rink, but she was mainly skating laps.

Great news for Kimmie. Reports have it that Carolina Kostner had injuries during the summer and is just getting over them. Not enough time to prepare for Campbells.

Joe

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Yay! I really like this young girl. She has such an elegant, stream-lined style. I think her appearance will add something unique to this competition. It will also be interesting to see how she handles this kind of pressure. She is competing against the three best women in the world....that is a big jump from Jr. Nationals and Jr. Grand Prix. I wish her the best of luck!

shine

Record Breaker
Yay is right! Now there's something to look forward to in the ladies comp too! Kimmie Meissner is great! I'm very glad that we'll get to see her new LP so early in the season!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
She is SO cute and such a great little skater. I missed the Jr. Ladies in Atlanta and I was so bummed about that. It will be a nice treat to see her skate this early in the season. Aside from Atlanta, I've only seen her skate during the Exhibitions from Nats when its on TV, LOL :laugh:

Eeyora

Final Flight
It should be good for her to skate against the top senior ladies before Nationals. I wonder if she will attempt the triple axel. I wouldn't be surprised if she placed well.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Looking forward to seeing Kimmie skate. How old is she? I'm under the impression that she won't be an international factor until after Turino. Is this the case? If so, she's got a long time ahead of her to push through the jr. ranks (outside the US, anyway) even though she might already have the goods to do so.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Meissner will be 15 in October, so she's not old enough to compete at 2005 Senior Worlds or Four Continents this season, but will be old enough for the 2006 Olympics IF she makes the team.

shine

Record Breaker
tharrtell said:
If so, she's got a long time ahead of her to push through the jr. ranks (outside the US, anyway) even though she might already have the goods to do so.
:confused: Wasn't she already the silver medalist last year?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Meissner won the silver medal at 2004 Junior Worlds and will very likely have a chance to go for Jr. World gold in 2005.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
shine said:
:confused: Wasn't she already the silver medalist last year?

... meaning that she couldn't compete as a senior internationally. She can in the US as long as she's passed her tests, but age requirements dictate internation competition, right? Anyway, doing well at jr. worlds is a huge accomplishment, but not on the same plain as sr. competition. Because her skill level is what it is at this point, it's almost like she's biding her time at the jr. level until she's age eligible for sr. competition is what I was trying to say.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
tharrtell said:
... meaning that she couldn't compete as a senior internationally. She can in the US as long as she's passed her tests, but age requirements dictate internation competition, right?

Actually, Meissner is old enough (14 by July 1, 2004) this season to compete as a senior internationally in Grand Prix and 'B' events (she would need to be 15 by the previous July 1 to be age-eligible for ISU Championships), which is how she could be invited to Campbell's. However, she can receive more ISU ranking points by competing and doing well in the Jr. Grand Prix and Final and Jr. Worlds than in the senior B events.

Last edited:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Sylvia said:
Actaully, Meissner is old enough (14 by July 1, 2004) this season to compete as a senior internationally in Grand Prix and 'B' events (she would need to be 15 by the previous July 1 to be age-eligible for ISU Championships), which is why she could be invited to Campbell's. However, she can receive more ISU ranking points by competing and doing well in the Jr. Grand Prix and Final and Jr. Worlds than in the senior B events.

So the Olympics and World Championships have the most restrictive age limitations? What's the point of having different age limits for different competitions? IMO, age limitiations are most important for the pacing of a young athlete - letting their bodies and strength keep up with their skills and, hopefully, keep injuries to a minimum. Young skaters are still going to go for the big tricks in the GP. I'm not understanding the discrepancy.