Debris on the Ice | Golden Skate

Debris on the Ice

S

SkateFan4Life

I must ask a simple question: Do any of the fans who toss flowers and/or other
"stuff" on the ice after their favorite skater performs think for even a milosecond of the potential disaster this debris may cause? Trips, falls, etc. Granted, a group of young skaters always flies out on the ice to retrieve this stuff, and these youngsters do an admirable job. However, I've seen them pick up tiny petals, beads, and other small things that might easily be missed. When the next skater takes to the ice, he, she, or they could be tripped up quite easily.

Remember the pandemonium that followed Michelle Kwan's brilliant long program at this year's US Nationals? The rink was practically covered with flowers, stuffed animals, and other presents. The women's free skate was on prime time live television, so the "cleanup crew" was under the gun to race out, pick up all the stuff and get off the ice so the next skater could perform. Sure, there was a pause for commercials, the interview with Nancy Kerrigan, and the display of Kwan's scores, but there was so MUCH stuff to pick up. Egads! :eek:

IMHO, it would be better to give the skaters time to personally accept all the flowers -- I can see the network bigwigs screaming at me -- or to simply prohibit people from purchasing flowers at the arena for tossing onto the ice.

Of course, I'm a neat freak, anyway, and I can't stand clutter. That probably explains my point of view, as far as this topic is concerned. :laugh:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
It is costumary to toss flowers and gifts for the skaters to the ice and they probably enjoy it, as it is one form of appreciation from the audiences. The young skaters usually do a good job of removing the objects off the ice and the skaters themselves stroke around the ice for a bit before they take the opening pose, so they can also see if there is something on the ice surface. There is of course the chance that something may fall on the ice (even parts of costumes, as we've seen a few times LOL), but if we think of it, this sort of shower of flowers doesn't happen all the time. I remember that in the Nagano Worlds the audience stood after Yagudin finished his performances and the ice was full of that kind of things too, it seemed to take forever to be removed. But in general, I don't think it is dangerous for the skaters that follow.

S

SkateFan4Life

RIskatingfan said:
It is costumary to toss flowers and gifts for the skaters to the ice and they probably enjoy it, as it is one form of appreciation from the audiences. The young skaters usually do a good job of removing the objects off the ice and the skaters themselves stroke around the ice for a bit before they take the opening pose, so they can also see if there is something on the ice surface. There is of course the chance that something may fall on the ice (even parts of costumes, as we've seen a few times LOL), but if we think of it, this sort of shower of flowers doesn't happen all the time. I remember that in the Nagano Worlds the audience stood after Yagudin finished his performances and the ice was full of that kind of things too, it seemed to take forever to be removed. But in general, I don't think it is dangerous for the skaters that follow.

Maybe so, but I think it's a disaster waiting to happen. All it will take is for one top-ranked skater to be seriously injured - Heaven forbid - for the ISU to outlaw this type of fan tribute.

S

SkateFan4Life

RIskatingfan said:

Maybe so, but I think it's a disaster waiting to happen. All it will take is for one top-ranked skater to be seriously injured - Heaven forbid - for the ISU to outlaw this type of fan tribute.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Frankly, I'm surprised that there's never been an akward incident of someone throwing something extremely inappropriate on to the ice, like a Chucky Doll. Of course, this could also make for an interesting personal statement if a member of the audience isn't particularly fond of the skater.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
so basically only those close the front are allowed to give out appreciation if people who aren't going to fork over 500+ big ones aren't able to throw stuff? LOL It's not like the whole audience can fit at the boards...

I don't see anything wrong with it, yes it could be a problem... but hey then make the skaters skate naked because their costumes give out just as easily as rose petals...

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
At Worlds and Euros, the flowers were required to be wrapped in plastic, but that didn't stop the occasional stray bloom from being thrown on the ice. In DC the audience was required to buy toys in the arena; I wonder if they had fabric or stitches for eyes, instead of buttons.

The one reason I've never thrown anything on the ice is that I wouldn't want to be responsible for that stray scrap of fabric or thread or leaf or petal to ruin someone's program, or, worse yet, to cause an injury. Very low probability, but possible horrific impact. The skaters will have to make due with clapping and standing.

I think if the teddy bears have adornments on them such as sparkling subsances, faux jewelry, tiny ribbons, etc., some of these adornments may get loose and fall off. Yes, the bears are scooped up by the sweeps but did anything fall off unbeknownst to the sweeper?

How often have we seen skaters suddenly trip on the ice (not necessarily fall) and the TV commentator say that the skater caught an edge. Maybe or maybe it was something that fell off the teddy bear.

I think rules governing the gift throwing can not be enforced. While this is not a common problem, it goes against fair play when it does.

Joe

icenut84

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
How often have we seen skaters suddenly trip on the ice (not necessarily fall) and the TV commentator say that the skater caught an edge. Maybe or maybe it was something that fell off the teddy bear.

True. I remember reading something after Worlds, that apparently there was a something on the ice during Plushenko's LP, and that's what caused him to suddenly fall (as he was setting up for the 3loop). Luckily he wasn't injured as a result of that, but it does show that debris on the ice can cause accidents, and although it didn't in this situation, an unexpected fall can mean the difference between winning and not winning. Which is very unfair on the skaters. Skating over something like debris, or even a bump in the ice, can throw your balance off (I know, I've experienced it before). It's especially scary if you're doing something like a spiral or spin.

I remember from one competition a while ago (on TV), as they were showing the replays for one skater, the announcer made a point of asking the audience to make sure flowers were completely wrapped. I assume the ones sold at the rink before competitions are wrapped like this. However, there's always the chance of someone throwing something not wrapped properly. And it's not even the audience that is solely to blame, sometimes parts of costumes fall to the ice too (such as in 03 Worlds, Tanith Belbin's feathery OD dress shedding all over the ice!). I guess at least big red feathers are more visible though, but it's still dangerous.

I think something similar also happened during the ladies LPs at the 94 Olympics. Oksana Baiul was about to skate, and was announced onto the ice (and she skated out), but then she realised there were still some flower girls there, who were picking up some small debris from the skater before. Oksana had to wait a bit longer while these girls both tried to pick up some very small debris from the centre of the ice. So it's a good thing it was noticed and removed, but also unfortunate for Oksana that she was delayed because of the debris, probably from flowers.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that there will always be the problem of something falling on the ice from a costume. What could be controlled, would be that everything (flowers, teddybears, etc) thrown on the ice for the skaters, should be totally wrapped.

Marjaana

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm willing to bet that stuff falling off costumes, especially of the Surya Bonaly Christian Lacroix Parade Float variety, probably poses a more common threat than pieces of flowers and/or teddy bears. At least flower and teddy bear pieces are more likely to be seen and picked up, especially since they'd be in the general vicinity of what they fell off of. Sequins or beads and the like can fall off anywhere without anyone having the slightest idea, and depending on the color can't always be seen to be picked up.

I remember cringing through the last 3 short programs of a Pairs group at the Vancouver Worlds; at some point a sequin had fallen onto the ice from a previous performance and no-one on rink level saw it. It was one of those cases where you had to be able to see it from a certain level and from a certain angle to even be able to pick up on it (the sequin was either clear or silver), but I was able to see it through my binoculars. Had I not been sitting up in the rafters I would have called it to someone's attention but I figured by the time I got downstairs to say anything (assuming I'd even figure out who to say it to), it'd be Zamboni time anyway. I'm just glad that everyone skated by it without mishap, though Rodionova & Krukov came within about an inch of it about 3 times. :eek:

dr.frog

On the Ice
At 2001 Four Continents, Anabelle Langlois had a bead explosion on her costume. She and her partner spent several minutes trying to pick up the pieces, then the ice sweepers spent several minutes trying to pick up more pieces, then they sent out one of the ice crew with a squeegee, and finally the referee decided it was necessary to have an unscheduled Zamboni break before the next pair could skate. I've never seen anything nearly that disruptive happen from stuffed toys thrown on the ice. In fact, when there have been problems with spectators throwing excessive/inappropriate stuff on the ice, it's almost always been from junk handed out for free in the arena lobby (6.0 signs, pom-poms, those stupid Chevy logo things at 2002 US Nationals) rather than things that people buy themselves as gifts for the skaters.

Linny

Final Flight
Debris

There may be signs indicating that only things purchased at the arena may be thrown, but many people purchase items outside the arena. They could, indeed, have loose parts.

The people in the front rows are repeatedly bonked by the poorer shots above them.

The people in the front rows are also quite good about pointing out missed beads to the clean-up crews.

Guess the thing to do would be to ask fans to voluntarily stop the practice. The Zamboni crew certainly doesn't appreciate it, either. It clogs. BTW, I saw a Hands on History segment on the History Channel about the Zamboni. Did you know that the cost an average of $52,000 each and are all individually hand crafted?

Linny

Sk8Bunny

Rinkside
As Im reading the thread above, Ive noticed that the majority of posters think that throwing items is a very bad idea. From a skaters perspective, I happen to love it when friends and family throw me stuffed animals on the ice after I compete. I think this tradition is a good one to continue. Skaters love receiving gifts after a performance. However, I do agree that flowers can leave petals, etc on the ice and it can be damaging to a skater. When my freinds/family throw things, it is always stuffed animals, with no decoration on them. I agree that flowers and plush toys that have the potential to shed off parts of themselves should be forbidden from being thrown. But I do not think it is a good idea to ban throwing stuffed animals all together. Just make sure the object has no potential to leave any part of it on the ice surface, imo.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I've seen a number of arenas that forbid throwing anything on them. One idea that comes to mind is, what about the ones who receive very little or nothing when others receive a lot? I would think they would feel hurt. It would be like when I was a student in a country school and the teacher let everyone put valentines on the desks of the other students and some received a lot and some of us received very few or none. I was one that received very few or none.

That's cruel. The teacher should make you give a valentine to everyone in the class.

ITA with your post. I always hoard my teddy bears and (after throwing 29 of them to Michelle) I try to throw at least one to all the skaters who are not necessarily the crowd favorites.

Mathman

katherine2001

On the Ice
I don't like flowers and other things being thrown on the ice. I went to World Pro in 1999, and the kids were not doing a good job of cleaning all the debris off the ice. For some reason, especially in the beginning, they were only cleaning up half the ice (the front half) and not the whole surface. My group was sitting near the judges and more than once we had to get the attention of a judge and show him/her that there were still flowers/flower petals on the ice. I know that Tonia Kwiatkowski suffereed a bad fall and hurt her arm during the Artistic Program (which was done in theatrical lighting), and I wonder if she didn't run into a flower petal or something in the dark. I think it is a very distinct possibility. She came out at the end with her arm in a sling. Unfortunately, someone was throwing flowers with very small petals on the ice, and it is a very good possibility that not all of them got picked up. In theatrical lighting, skaters aren't going to see them on the ice. Not to mention that the competition can be held up a long time after a popular skater gets off the ice cleaning up the flowers and the stuffed animals. Maybe they could find a way to collect people's flowers and gifts and get them to the skaters some other way and ban things being thrown on the ice.

katherine2001

On the Ice
I also remember watching the Ultimate 4 competition on TV in 1998, and Alexei Urmanov was skating in a competition for the first time after his groin pull at the 1997 Worlds. He was skating flawlessly when his program gets stopped because a judge saw a sequin or something on the ice (I believe he skated after Todd Eldridge). He was allowed to skate his program over, but he didn't skate it anywhere near as well as he'd been skating it before his program was stopped by the judge.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Grgranny said:
I've seen a number of arenas that forbid throwing anything on them. One idea that comes to mind is, what about the ones who receive very little or nothing when others receive a lot? I would think they would feel hurt. It would be like when I was a student in a country school and the teacher let everyone put valentines on the desks of the other students and some received a lot and some of us received very few or none. I was one that received very few or none.

I don't think it's really the same thing. Skaters are used to criticism, and not getting a bunch of flowers if it's your first ever senior GP, for example, is not going to be the end of the world. They are probably just thrilled to be at the GP! For example, Bofrost 2002, I threw the only rose (heavily wrapped in plastic) to Amber Corwin after the SP. She still smiled, still skated well in the FS, still partied a tad too hard afterwards in spite of the fact that she only got one rose and Fumie Suguri got tons.

Laura :)