Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Debris on the Ice

That's cruel. The teacher should make you give a valentine to everyone in the class.

ITA with your post. I always hoard my teddy bears and (after throwing 29 of them to Michelle) I try to throw at least one to all the skaters who are not necessarily the crowd favorites.

Mathman

Rinkside
    Wasn't it a little sequin or something that caused Evgeni to slip in Dortmund???

Custom Title
    I don't like flowers and other things being thrown on the ice. I went to World Pro in 1999, and the kids were not doing a good job of cleaning all the debris off the ice. For some reason, especially in the beginning, they were only cleaning up half the ice (the front half) and not the whole surface. My group was sitting near the judges and more than once we had to get the attention of a judge and show him/her that there were still flowers/flower petals on the ice. I know that Tonia Kwiatkowski suffereed a bad fall and hurt her arm during the Artistic Program (which was done in theatrical lighting), and I wonder if she didn't run into a flower petal or something in the dark. I think it is a very distinct possibility. She came out at the end with her arm in a sling. Unfortunately, someone was throwing flowers with very small petals on the ice, and it is a very good possibility that not all of them got picked up. In theatrical lighting, skaters aren't going to see them on the ice. Not to mention that the competition can be held up a long time after a popular skater gets off the ice cleaning up the flowers and the stuffed animals. Maybe they could find a way to collect people's flowers and gifts and get them to the skaters some other way and ban things being thrown on the ice.

Custom Title
    I also remember watching the Ultimate 4 competition on TV in 1998, and Alexei Urmanov was skating in a competition for the first time after his groin pull at the 1997 Worlds. He was skating flawlessly when his program gets stopped because a judge saw a sequin or something on the ice (I believe he skated after Todd Eldridge). He was allowed to skate his program over, but he didn't skate it anywhere near as well as he'd been skating it before his program was stopped by the judge.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    I've seen a number of arenas that forbid throwing anything on them. One idea that comes to mind is, what about the ones who receive very little or nothing when others receive a lot? I would think they would feel hurt. It would be like when I was a student in a country school and the teacher let everyone put valentines on the desks of the other students and some received a lot and some of us received very few or none. I was one that received very few or none.
    I don't think it's really the same thing. Skaters are used to criticism, and not getting a bunch of flowers if it's your first ever senior GP, for example, is not going to be the end of the world. They are probably just thrilled to be at the GP! For example, Bofrost 2002, I threw the only rose (heavily wrapped in plastic) to Amber Corwin after the SP. She still smiled, still skated well in the FS, still partied a tad too hard afterwards in spite of the fact that she only got one rose and Fumie Suguri got tons.

Laura

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    So, do skaters get deductions for costume parts not staying with their rightful owner? Anyone know about this?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog
    At 2001 Four Continents, Anabelle Langlois had a bead explosion on her costume. She and her partner spent several minutes trying to pick up the pieces, then the ice sweepers spent several minutes trying to pick up more pieces, then they sent out one of the ice crew with a squeegee, and finally the referee decided it was necessary to have an unscheduled Zamboni break before the next pair could skate. I've never seen anything nearly that disruptive happen from stuffed toys thrown on the ice. In fact, when there have been problems with spectators throwing excessive/inappropriate stuff on the ice, it's almost always been from junk handed out for free in the arena lobby (6.0 signs, pom-poms, those stupid Chevy logo things at 2002 US Nationals) rather than things that people buy themselves as gifts for the skaters.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacierskater
    So, do skaters get deductions for costume parts not staying with their rightful owner? Anyone know about this?
    Under CoP they do. Last year in the Cup of Russia FD, both Chait/Sakhnovsky and Winkler/Lohse received deductions -1 "Costume & Prop Violation."

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Bunny
    As Im reading the thread above, Ive noticed that the majority of posters think that throwing items is a very bad idea. From a skaters perspective, I happen to love it when friends and family throw me stuffed animals on the ice after I compete. I think this tradition is a good one to continue. Skaters love receiving gifts after a performance. However, I do agree that flowers can leave petals, etc on the ice and it can be damaging to a skater. When my freinds/family throw things, it is always stuffed animals, with no decoration on them. I agree that flowers and plush toys that have the potential to shed off parts of themselves should be forbidden from being thrown. But I do not think it is a good idea to ban throwing stuffed animals all together. Just make sure the object has no potential to leave any part of it on the ice surface, imo.
    OK, I can agree with you. Stuffed animals that are in ONE PIECE and do not have beads and other stuff that can fall off are nice, and I'm sure the skaters appreciate receiving this kind of tribute from the audience. However, flowers are a real problem. I remember a number of competitions in which skaters mysteriously "tripped" over the ice and/or they spotted some debris on the ice and had to skate with extreme caution around that area whenever their routine took them to that area. Tossing flowers is a bad idea, IMHO - it simply isn't worth the potential risk to the skaters. I'm not saying that only those folks who fork over mega bucks for rinkside seats can show appreciation to the skaters.
    Just be careful what you throw!!!!!!!

A little bit off topic, but does flash photography going off in the skaters' faces really bother them? There are always announcements about no flash photography, but there are still one or two jokers in the front row who do it anyway.

Mathman

Custom Title
    I remember reading after Nationals '04 that some people wanted Kwan's fans arrested for throwing those stuffed animals. They felt it was a threat to other skaters or something.
    Is this unacceptable behaviours? To throw stuff animals or chevy cars? I always thought it was just what people did and has been done for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    A little bit off topic, but does flash photography going off in the skaters' faces really bother them? There are always announcements about no flash photography, but there are still one or two jokers in the front row who do it anyway.Mathman
    It doesn't take much knowledge of photography to know that a flash is to brighten a nearby object (life a face on cloudy day.

Taking a flash photo of La Belle Kwan from the stands will not reach her. Yet the flashes go off. It's kind of pretty to see but useless in photography.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 09-22-2004 at 08:59 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    A little bit off topic, but does flash photography going off in the skaters' faces really bother them? There are always announcements about no flash photography, but there are still one or two jokers in the front row who do it anyway.

Mathman
    In competitions, where the lights are on, I don't think it disturbs the skaters. Maybe it can cause some distraction to skaters not very experienced? But then again, with the lights on, you don't need flash LOL I suppose in a show, flash photography can be dangerous though and indeed bother the skaters. I've read reviews and read comments about skaters popping jumps (for example) where the cause could have been the flash of a camera. And even if you're sitting somewhere far from the ice, I'm certain it can be distracting, for both the skaters and the audience. Personally, I truly dislike to be watching a show and have people taking photographs with flash.

Skating Soprano
    I suppose it could be a danger. I never really thought of it before. Personally, I think the chance is low. They should hand out a flyer explaining to check for stray stuff and to make sure that flowers are wrapped. That way, fans know that a) there are rules and b) the rules a for a reason.

On a personal note, I splatted after hitting a jelly bean on public session once. So, I suppose it could happen.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    I must ask a simple question: Do any of the fans who toss flowers and/or other
    "stuff" on the ice after their favorite skater performs think for even a milosecond of the potential disaster this debris may cause? Trips, falls, etc. Granted, a group of young skaters always flies out on the ice to retrieve this stuff, and these youngsters do an admirable job. However, I've seen them pick up tiny petals, beads, and other small things that might easily be missed. When the next skater takes to the ice, he, she, or they could be tripped up quite easily.

Remember the pandemonium that followed Michelle Kwan's brilliant long program at this year's US Nationals? The rink was practically covered with flowers, stuffed animals, and other presents. The women's free skate was on prime time live television, so the "cleanup crew" was under the gun to race out, pick up all the stuff and get off the ice so the next skater could perform. Sure, there was a pause for commercials, the interview with Nancy Kerrigan, and the display of Kwan's scores, but there was so MUCH stuff to pick up. Egads!

IMHO, it would be better to give the skaters time to personally accept all the flowers -- I can see the network bigwigs screaming at me -- or to simply prohibit people from purchasing flowers at the arena for tossing onto the ice.

Of course, I'm a neat freak, anyway, and I can't stand clutter. That probably explains my point of view, as far as this topic is concerned.
    Your point is well taken. Throwing flowers and stuffed animals on the ice was not a part of figure skating in the past; As a matter of fact there used to be an announcement at skating events not to throw items on the ice. Most Canadian fans seem to still honour this request. I don't know when it became such a big phenonemon. Maybe the movie "Ice Castles" had something to do with it. Remember the end - all the flowers cascading on the ice? And she was visually impaired!!!

Of course, the skaters do have costume "melt down" from time to time and hair pins, etc.find their way on to the ice. They are used to spotting materials on the ice and dealing with it. Part of the training.

I think fans should respect the safety issue of the skaters and also the time it takes for the "flower girls" to skate out and pick up items tossed onto the ice and avoid this practice.
    Last edited by Ladskater; 09-23-2004 at 12:20 AM.

Custom Title
    A bit of history: it used to be common for people to bring their flowers and other gifts to the boards and for the skaters to go around and collect them personally after they were finished skating. But this got out of hand and led to delays at competitions (particularly at 1988 US Nationals, when the men's free skate ended up dragging out well after midnight). So new rules were adopted requiring the skaters to exit the ice promptly after taking their bows. There also didn't used to be ice sweepers -- video of the 1976 Olympics shows Dorothy Hamill struggling for quite a while to pick up all her own flowers, for instance.

At big competitions like US Nationals they now *expect* people to throw gifts for the skaters on the ice and have a whole army prepared to deal with it. They have sweepers assigned to every event and volunteers who collect the stuff into bags, then the bags are tagged with the skaters' names and left for them to pick up backstage when they leave the kiss-and-cry area. Most skaters enjoy getting the gifts -- especially the younger ones who are new to the whole experience -- and it seems like a pretty harmless tradition to me. I'm told that even Michelle Kwan takes great care with the huge piles of gifts and flowers she receives.

A few things I can suggest, though. Most skaters appreciate a well-written fan letter as much as a stuffed toy. Second, you might consider making a donation to the skater's training fund in lieu of a gift, or for skaters like Kwan who don't need the money themselves, a donation to their favorite charity in their honor. Finally, one skater I know has for two years in a row had his bag of "loot" lost or stolen in the confusion backstage at Nationals. If you want to make sure your skater gets your gift, it may be better to present it personally or mail it to them in care of the rink where they train.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast