The Split Jump and Michelle Kwan | Golden Skate

The Split Jump and Michelle Kwan

I've never seen MK do a split jump and for that matter many other skaters, too. Split jumps were de rigeur back in time.

Anyhow there is a quarter page photo of Mk in and advert on page 65 of the IFS magazine, for the Figure Skating Calendar 2005. I am not sure if it is a of a split jump or of the falling leaves that she definitely does in every competition.

It is a remarkably perfrect split. The forward leg has the toe pointing upward while the back leg has the toe pointing towards the side. The body is facing forwards. This is the position one learns in acrobatic class when stretching those legs into splits on the floor.

The other split jump (the 'Russian' split jump) comes from, I believe, the Ukrainian 'Hopak', a very lively and rousing folk dance. Here both toes are pointing upward but the 'fanny' is pushed backwards, and the body faces sideways to allow for this maneuver.

The former split jump is the same as a grand jete in ballet; the Russian split jump is the same as seen in folk dancing.

My point is that if this photo of MK is a classifcal split jump and not a falling leave, then I insist it go into all future programs. And I would like to see other skaters perform it as well. It can be an exciting move with the right music.

Joe

backspin

On the Ice
The move in the photo is a falling leaf, & is one of her signature moves. Only a handful of people get to that perfect split----in fact, I've slo-mo'd tapes of her doing this, & she actually goes slightly *beyond* a full split position. :eek: You don't see a lot of the Russian split jump anymore, though like you said it used to be very common--often done repeatedly in a circle.

MasterB

Final Flight
splits

I love to see a good split jump, but they are rare these days. Cohen had a beautiful one in the Swan progran done by Robin. One of the problems with that jump is that it is very difficult for some people to get the back leg as high as the front leg. Catherine Healy use to have a perfect one. Guys never do the split jump because it looks too girly. The Russian split seems more appropriate for the guys, Paul wiley had a great one. Also some skaters make the jump look heavy, when it shouldn't

icenut84

Final Flight
How exactly is a "split jump" performed? I know about falling leaves, like Michelle does (a takeoff similar to a loop, right? With feet crossed. Edge jump, no toe picking, half turn to reach split position, lands forward on one toe and one edge), and Russian splits, like Sasha does (picks in from BI edge, more of a side split position in air, same landing). How would you describe a split jump? I also know of a "split flip", which is basically where the skater does a single flip and hits the splits position in the air, and has the backwards landing position of the flip (I think I remember seeing Kristi Yamaguchi doing this, and/or Josee Chouinard). Is this the jump you're referring to? Or maybe, is it the flip takeoff but landing forwards, like a falling leaf?

Summerkid

Rinkside
A normal split jump has a take off similar to a half flip. Usually a mohawk entry, pick like a half flip, then land left toe to a right inside three turn from all the momentum.

shine

Record Breaker
Gernerally I don't like the Russian split. If skaters can't get the stretch like Cohen does on this split jump, I prefer them not doing it at all. Besides Cohen, who is the only person I've seen that achieves an angle bigger than 180 degrees on the split, others all do it with a bent back breaking the line, which is inevitable when the legs don't stretch above 180 degrees (ie. above their hip line).
I do love it, though, when skaters perform a split with the flip entry (the usual split). The 180-degree extension is easier to achieve (since it doesn't require two feet point upward) hence a very complete line, and there's usually a suspension in the air that makes it very pleasing to see.
The falling leaf is the most appealing one as far as entry goes. But few skaters jump high enough of fast enough for the legs to achieve a maximum angle of stretch, let alone letting it suspend in the air. Michelle's falling leaf is impressive, but I wish she could let it suspend in the air a little more because that would be even more effective. IIRC Deana Stellato had a very beautiful falling leaf that not only had a 180-degree split, but also a suspension as well.

I'm not quite sure Sasha does the classic split. It appears to me that she has the front and back toes pointing up and that has to be a Russian split. Also I don't believe she faces in the direction of forward skating because I've noticed that she looks in the direction of the rails beside her.
However, her split is done nicely to the music and that's what makes it a lovely move. It is not real 'hopak' style. I'll look closer this season. I used to have slomo but nomo. :cry:

If Kwan can make that classic split without a toe take off then she certainly can do a genuine split jump. I'd like to see it.

At one time, the split flip was quite common but that too has disappeared in time. Some of the boys in that era would do a split flip and a half then lunge into a sitspin. Quite effective.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I've never seen MK do a split jump and for that matter many other skaters, too. Split jumps were de rigeur back in time.

Anyhow there is a quarter page photo of Mk in and advert on page 65 of the IFS magazine, for the Figure Skating Calendar 2005. I am not sure if it is a of a split jump or of the falling leaves that she definitely does in every competition.

It is a remarkably perfrect split. The forward leg has the toe pointing upward while the back leg has the toe pointing towards the side. The body is facing forwards. This is the position one learns in acrobatic class when stretching those legs into splits on the floor.

The other split jump (the 'Russian' split jump) comes from, I believe, the Ukrainian 'Hopak', a very lively and rousing folk dance. Here both toes are
pointing upward but the 'fanny' is pushed backwards, and the body faces sideways to allow for this maneuver.

The former split jump is the same as a grand jete in ballet; the Russian split jump is the same as seen in folk dancing.

My point is that if this photo of MK is a classifcal split jump and not a falling leave, then I insist it go into all future programs. And I would like to see other skaters perform it as well. It can be an exciting move with the right music.

Joe

Joe:

The great Toller Cranston was a master at the Split jump. The height he cleared was phenomenal and his toes were pointed perfectly. It was "text book."

Also Karen Magnussen did the first Falling Leaf jump I had ever seen. It was superb.

This is probably the spilt jump you saw Michelle doing - it is a basic jump - easier than the Russian split:

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/images/split_nikki_s.jpg

Here is the Russian split:

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/images/russian_ashley_s.jpg

There is also the Stag jump (a variation of the split):

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/images/stag1_lauren_s.jpg

If you ever get a chance to see any of Tollers' videos keep your eye on his Russian Split jump - it's just amazing!!

Thanks for the pictures, Ladd. It shows the difference between the classical split and the Russian split. The Russian split does not have the body over the split. It has the fanny sticking out. The classical split has the body in complete alignment and the skater is facing in the direction he is going.

However, I disagree with you on the difficulty of the Russian split. A beautifully executed classic split jump is much more difficult to achieve. And don't forget Barbara Ann had a beautiful classic split jump.

Joe

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Rory Flack Burghart has the best Russian Split in the business end of story. :D

Eeyora

Final Flight
I have seen pictures of Dick Button back in his day doing a wonderful split jump.

kemy said:

Kemy - thanks for that pic. It shows Sasha in a classical split (back leg not at her best). Notice she is facing forward with the jump. But she also does a Russian split quite often where both skates are toe turned upward, and she faces to the side; not forward. very much in Hernandos Hideaway. She puts a feminine touch to the russian split.

Joe

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
What kind of "split" jump do you call the one Brian Boitano is doing in the IFS magazine this month?

Grgranny said:
What kind of "split" jump do you call the one Brian Boitano is doing in the IFS magazine this month?
I'm not so sure Brian is all that flexible for a classical split jump. He does the Russian split jump and does it well. Most guys go for the Russian split because they are not all that flexible in the groin area.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
So...after looking at the Stag and Split jumps, what is the true difference between the two? Is the leg bent on the stag jump and not on the split? I'm confused :confused: Thx in advance to anyone who can answer this for me. I thought I saw MK do a stag jump that didn't quite look like the one in the picture.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
In a stag jump the front leg is bent (think of a stag/deer jumping) like a lunge done in the air.

Red Dog said:
So...after looking at the Stag and Split jumps, what is the true difference between the two? Is the leg bent on the stag jump and not on the split? I'm confused :confused: Thx in advance to anyone who can answer this for me. I thought I saw MK do a stag jump that didn't quite look like the one in the picture.
RedDog - I have seen Michelle do both: the perfect split and the 'attitude' back leg.split. For me, it's a question of the music. If it's a rousing eastern European dance, then I like the 'attitude' one; if it's Rach's then I go for the classic split.

Check out Kemy's post showing a link to Sasha's split. At first I didn't like it but now I realize that it might have been done in character.

Piel has the definition of the stag jump which always looks good in trick photography with a mountain in the background but less so in a routine.

Joe