Kwan prepares to perform to Bolero | Golden Skate

Kwan prepares to perform to Bolero

Eeyora

Final Flight
I can't believe it is true. This should definately be a different program than we have been seeing for the past few years from Michelle. She certainly has best people behind her. I would prefer to see a triple-triple from her at Campbells. She may need one. I am also surprised she is starting the season with another unfinished program as she previously did with Tosca. However I will say it does sound like their working hard at getting things absolutely right. Bravo for picking Christopher Dean as choreographer.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Thank you for posting this article.

If Kwan always wanted to skate to Bolero, she picked the right person to help her.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Talk about a "win/win/win/win/win" situations! :love:

Michelle goes to the sorce of the "winningest" interpretation of a Iconoclastic piece of music. Waiting until a time in her a career when it makes sense for her to make a risk, however opening it at a basic early season cheesefest. If she doesn't win, I've still not seen her skate out to anything less than a loving enthusiastic welcome any time I've seen her take the ice, and hey is a promotional event with very little at stake other than bragging rights. Wish SugarSiz in the mix, along with Sasha & Robin's having had a full training season together, I think it's reasonable for MK to think of this as just what she eluded to in the article...an optimum place to premier a new program and see what the possibilities can be for it. No trip-trip, no prob. I think it's really smart for 'Shelly to save the big guns for the important competitions. If she shows up at the GPF with a more difficult 3Lz combo and a 3-3 in one of her two competitive programs I think she'll make a case for her stake at Nats and Worlds and even, perhaps, Turin. Something occurs to me about that, too... If she medals of any color, she will have done what no woman in recent memory has done: win consecutive medels in 3 olympics. No matter what the makeup of the metal,coupled with her World and National decorations, she would establish her ABSOLUTE dominance of an era of figure skating. That kind of competitive performance longevity just hasn't been seen since Sonya Hennie. Not that her entre' into the World and American Halls of Fame isn't already assured. I dealy hope that Michelle can fufill even beyond her own wildest expectations for herself. No matter what my past views of this young lady, she's both a class act and a TRUE icon of not only her own sport, but of ALL sporting great Champions.

Thanks sk8m8 for the article.

Maybe she can bring something to this monotonus music.

With no 3x3 in a 6.0 competition, she could squeeze out a first place, but she better get the3x3s by Nats and definitely by Worlds.

What bothers me is that she could do a 3x3 at Campbells just to get used to it in front of judges and audience. So what? if she flubs them. She's got the experience which is more important than the cheesfest prize. :mad:

She speaks of now having a mature outlook on skating but for me that would include understanding the scoring of the CoP and not just beaufiful skating. This is a sport, not and exhibition. :rolleye:

Joe

Bynx

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Thanks sk8m8 for the article.

Maybe she can bring something to this monotonus music.

With no 3x3 in a 6.0 competition, she could squeeze out a first place, but she better get the3x3s by Nats and definitely by Worlds.

What bothers me is that she could do a 3x3 at Campbells just to get used to it in front of judges and audience. So what? if she flubs them. She's got the experience which is more important than the cheesfest prize. :mad:

She speaks of now having a mature outlook on skating but for me that would include understanding the scoring of the CoP and not just beaufiful skating. This is a sport, not and exhibition. :rolleye:

Joe

Calmn down! :laugh:

She simply said she won't be going for 3/3's at this cheesefest!
She simply wants to debut the program without any pressure.

She's been practicing a number of 3/3's over the summer
and will add them when she is ready.

How did I know that of all that was said, people would harp on this
and it only being a cheesefest, it means nothing but debuting a new
program, plain and simple.

Besides, I doubt their using the COP for this competition.

Talk about people who freak over nothing! :laugh:

BTW, it's nice that he tried to get a female perspective by
getting input from Catarina. I can't wait to see it even though it's
still a work in progress.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm very excited about this. This sounds like something she has been thinking about for a long time, but was waiting for the right moment to take it on. I feel very good about Chris Dean's involvement, because I don't think he would ever put his name on a poorly choreographed "Bolero".

I'm not at all alarmed with no 3/3 at Campbell's ... I feel certain MK will try them in the GP series. If I was her, I might have wanted to give it a try at this cheesefest, but that's just me ... and Michelle has always done things her way ... as it should be.
And Joe, I don't think the absence of a 3/3 at this first event means she will ignoring COP. She has the right idea about building gradually until Nats and Worlds. For me, those are the only comps that really matter (and the OLY of course).
Whatever ... good luck Michelle!!!

Wish I were going to be there. :cry:

Thanks for the link, Bronxgirl.

sk8m8 said:
No matter what the makeup of the metal,coupled with her World and National decorations, she would establish her ABSOLUTE dominance of an era of figure skating....she's both a class act and a TRUE icon of not only her own sport, but of ALL sporting great Champions.
:) :) :) :) :)

Here's an interesting quote from the article (Christopher Dean speaking about the MUSIC "Bolero"):

"Bolero' is something that can transcend its time more than some of the other pieces of music skaters have used. With its passion and its depth of edges, it's geared very much for the ice."

That's the first time I have ever heard music described as having "deep edges." Actually, that's kind of cool. An ice dancer/choreographer can listen to a musical selection and think, "that music is truly speaking to me, and what it's saying is, 'deep edges.' "

If you're not registered for the LA Times, Michelle says:

""I'm not 16 anymore," she said. "My body's changing and my brain is changing. When the Olympics come around, or the end of the season, I want to know whether I've done the best I can. It's that much harder physically and easier mentally, which is the opposite of what it used to be. In a way, it's actually better to be older and wiser….

"Now, you put more heart into it. You do have that sense, that experience. I'm in a lucky position. I'm in this sport long enough to have experience and still young enough to keep going."

If Michelle has any more heart to give, we are in for an amazing treat this season. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Mathman

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
for those who do not want to register...

"I'm not 16 anymore," she said. "My body's changing and my brain is changing. When the Olympics come around, or the end of the season, I want to know whether I've done the best I can. It's that much harder physically and easier mentally, which is the opposite of what it used to be. In a way, it's actually better to be older and wiser….

"Now, you put more heart into it. You do have that sense, that experience. I'm in a lucky position. I'm in this sport long enough to have experience and still young enough to keep going."

>>I wish these people would proofread their work. Sasha is the SILVER medalist :laugh: <<

Last edited:
Bynx said:
Calmn down! :laugh: Talk about people who freak over nothing! :laugh:

Bynx - I took three deep breaths and feel much better for it :D But to make me happy I have to hear from some SanPaulinian to give a good unbiased review of Michel and Bolero. It's soon isn't it?

Joe

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Bynx - I took three deep breaths and feel much better for it :D But to make me happy I have to hear from some SanPaulinian to give a good unbiased review of Michel and Bolero. It's soon isn't it? Joe
Michelle will debut her "Bolero" free program one week from today -- I'm sure there will be reports -- can't predict how "good" or "unbiased" they might be. You can judge the program yourself when it is broadcast on ABC10 days later, Sunday, Oct. 10.

Bynx

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Bynx - I took three deep breaths and feel much better for it :D But to make me happy I have to hear from some SanPaulinian to give a good unbiased review of Michel and Bolero. It's soon isn't it?

Joe

:laugh:

I expect bias and unbias comments
for and against it and bickering to ensue! :D

So, I'll reserve judgement until
I actually see it.

Only think I'll comment on is the costume
and jumps landed or not.

GoldPatina27

Spectator
I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see successful 3-3's from Michelle in competition - I hope so, or I don't think she can regain a world title, and certainly not an Olympic one. Interesting choice of music though.

GoldPatina27 said:
I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see successful 3-3's from Michelle in competition - I hope so, or I don't think she can regain a world title, and certainly not an Olympic one.
I wondered if that was what Michelle was referring to when she she said, "It's that much harder physically and easier mentally, which is the opposite of what it used to be." Actually, I think CoP scoring will make it easier rather than harder to win a major without a triple-triple.

In her career, Michelle has done more triple-triples in competition than any of her competitors. Among active U.S. ladies, more than all of them put together. It would be so cool this season if the old lady showed us that she still has the goods!

Mathman:)

RIskatingfan said:
I don't mean to be picky or anything, but I believe GoldenSkate can get in trouble with copyright - it's against copyright matters to post articles in their entirety in public forums.

Try this link instead, the article I believe is better:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/09/24/sports1542EDT0267.DTL
Thanks for the link, RIskatingfan. Very interesting take: Michelle is so sold on this music that she was considering saving it for the Olympic season.

Yes, you are quite right about copying articles in their entirety. Too bad, because it's nice to have the whole article there to read. But, yes, GS posters should give the link, together with a few selected quotes, to make sure that nobody gets mad at us over copyright issues.

Mathman:)

mzheng

Record Breaker
GoldPatina27 said:
I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see successful 3-3's from Michelle in competition - I hope so, or I don't think she can regain a world title, and certainly not an Olympic one. Interesting choice of music though.

I agree with Mathman the CoP actually make it easy for Michelle on jump department. Only a quad and/or 3axel will put a skater in big advantage in jump department. The 3/3 is needed for a lady only if she can successfully landed 7 triples in a program. Nevertherless, the rumour is MK has been practicing all sorts of 3/3s. And compare with what other 3/3 ladies practicing report through out the web. It is quite encuraging for a MKF.

Last edited by a moderator:

floskate

On the Ice
Me too. And that second article with much better indepth quotes has me totally hooked on the idea. Wow what a U turn I've done over this. But I never believed Chris would do it, so I now have every faith that this may actually be the best Kwan program we may ever see. She's just so hooked on it and has really given it thought. Chris will give her new moves and highlights together with the old faves. Seriously this just might actually shock a few people and thats no bad thing IMO :D

Lucy25

Final Flight
Piel said:
I think that we are in for something very special! :)
What a perfect way to put it!

I just hope people don't get their expectations up too high, and then are really disappointed next week if their expectations aren't met. Michelle says herself in the articles that it is a work in progress for the next few months. Sasha Cohen has hinted at the same thing about her program, too, so I hope people keep this in perspective.