Arakawa's R & J Costume | Golden Skate

Arakawa's R & J Costume

Miriam Boo

Rinkside
I'm an Arakawa fan, but I've just viewed some photos of her pink costume for her freeskate (Romeo & Juliet), and I hope she will change her costume and fire her costume designer. That dress is way too busy and draws attention away from the beauty of her skating. I tried to paste the photos here but was unsuccessful. These photos are posted on a thread on the FSU board. I really hope that someone will advise Shizuka to change her costume.

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
I've seen it too and I must say.. that outfit has to goooooooo!!!!! Everyone will be too busy looking at her dress whether than paying attention to her skating. Wonder who designed it?

Kuchana

On the Ice
ugh that dress looks like it would be more fit for Aladdin instead of Juliet. please don't tell me it was tarasova's idea.

diver chick

On the Ice
I was about to say that can't possibly be a Tarasova creation!!

I think my fave R&J costume was Diana Poth's from a couple of seasons ago.
Can't seem to find a pic but it was really elegant, black and gold.

Katia peach costume was qutie nice too. For most authentic without being in your face it would have to be Marina Anissina.

I don't think that was what Shakespeare had in mind. The highlight of R&J is the moonlit balcony scene and to be authentic Juliet should be in flowing white silk. This costume may take away from her performance. Which R&J is she using?

Joe

bronxgirl

Medalist
I wonder, are judges ever subtly influenced by a skaters costume and whether or not they like it?

Longhornliz

Final Flight
It could perhaps be salvaged if they ripp of some of the un needed flowy crap on the arms.... It reminds me of the "before" version of molly ringwalds prom dress in pretty in pink.

euterpe

Medalist
The laced bodice and skirt has the look of 'peasant' garb--not appropriate for Juliet at all. And what a ghastly shade of pink!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Kristi Yamaguchi had the perfect Romeo & Juliet dress when she performed to this music as a pro. It will always be my favorite. Shizuka's dress looks like it was designed for a Las Vegas show. Ugh.

sk8m8

Final Flight
I was about to say... that cosutime looks as if it is under "stage lights" for a SOI or COI performance. In those things I can absolutely understand. You want the costume to compensate for the fact that you are doing a 3 trip program every night rather than a 4-7 trip routine in competion under really B R I G H T lights. I can only suggest that if that IS her competion outfit that she certainly at least OFFER the judges sunglasses. :D

floskate

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
I wonder, are judges ever subtly influenced by a skaters costume and whether or not they like it?

Well this wasn't really that subtle but Vanessa Riley - a British judge gave Alexander Fadeev a 5.6 for Presentation at the 1989 European Championships when everyone else gave 5.9 or 6.0. If you've seen the program you'll know he was wearing a white jumpsuit with red slits in it but the problem was the teeny weeny white g-string he was wearing underneath. Completely visible to the naked eye and not leaving much to the imagination. Vanessa deducted accordingly - (she was interviewed and although I can't remember what she said she didn't think it was appropriate!) and lo and behold when he turned up in Paris for 89 Worlds, his underwear was a little more substantial :laugh:

Still visible mind you!!! ;)

Miriam Boo

Rinkside
I think that a distracting costume such as this one does significantly affect the overall aesthetic appeal of a skater's program. I believe that Arakawa would fare better with a white, flowing dress with as little ornamentation as possible. I'm from the school of simple and understated elegance in clothing...and let the personality project, not the clothing. In the case of skating, the beauty of the line, movement, and overall choreography should be projected. The costume should only enhance the choreography, not upstage it! Shizuka & Tarasova definitely need to rethink this one.